Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

Harrr yes the thread I started :lol:

For some reason I stopped getting emails informing me of new posts being made on it . :unsure:

You may have clicked on the unsubscribe by accident or inadvertently Les ... but I saw your posts and added a few, one being on the Redox Potential.

BTW did you add the T ?

Albert

• Like 1

Nope not me and I did a post on there saying so Albert.

You may have clicked on the unsubscribe by accident or inadvertently Les ... but I saw your posts and added a few, one being on the Redox Potential.

BTW did you add the T ?

Albert

• Like 1

Well glad you did .. yes there was a big one in NY I think and I may have posted about it a few days ago ...

Nice of you to donate the Majano Wands ... And did you get anything for your tank ... or did you just go window (well tank) shopping?

Albert

I did not buy anything for my tank as I don't have any room to put anything and I really liked the clams. They had a huge asortment of 6" clams for $90.00 which is very cheap for blue clams that size. But besides not having any room, I did not go straight home from there as it was in manhattan right near my Daughter's house and I left my wife there. Jan or Jans Reef Foods gave me a frozen bag of her frozen food that I did bring home and it was soup when I got there, but I re froze it. It is basically clams, shrimp, scallop, squid, seaweeds and garlic, so it sounded like what I usually eat and I just put some lemon on it and had some of it for dinner.

Yes with Jawfish and others a cover over the tank is needed or they will indeed do so ... That tank however may have a cover already or it should no be that hard to make one using mesh that can be purchased at the big box stores.

This link shows at least two that are available through Wal-Mart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/22217748?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Albert

I will just have to teach my fish not to jump out as there is way to much stuff above my tank to put a net of any kind. I don't have a sump (they were invented way after I started the tank) They will learn. Besides I don't buy any more firefish or jawfish but if I do, I gluegun a lead fishing sinker to their tail so they can't jump.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Nope not me and I did a post on there saying so Albert.

Yes actually I did see the post ... so I guess it must have been a Mod ...

Conv. is getting more and more interesting on that thread for sure ... and more and more Hobs are ordering them too !

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I did not buy anything for my tank as I don't have any room to put anything and I really liked the clams. They had a huge asortment of 6" clams for $90.00 which is very cheap for blue clams that size. But besides not having any room, I did not go straight home from there as it was in manhattan right near my Daughter's house and I left my wife there. Jan or Jans Reef Foods gave me a frozen bag of her frozen food that I did bring home and it was soup when I got there, but I re froze it. It is basically clams, shrimp, scallop, squid, seaweeds and garlic, so it sounded like what I usually eat and I just put some lemon on it and had some of it for dinner.

I will just have to teach my fish not to jump out as there is way to much stuff above my tank to put a net of any kind. I don't have a sump (they were invented way after I started the tank) They will learn. Besides I don't buy any more firefish or jawfish but if I do, I gluegun a lead fishing sinker to their tail so they can't jump.

Well it sounds like they had a real nice choice of a lot of frags and those Clams sound nice indeed but you have not had good luck with them if I remember so it was probably a good idea not to get one. I guess you enjoyed it .... even if you did not buy anything.

Gee good appetite on that food you got .. :-o

And on the Jumpers .. yes that or put a parachute on them so they have a "soft landing"

Albert

albertthiel

Continuum Brings out a new Product to eradicate Nuisance Algae, including it states Bryopsis. Needs to be used for several weeks in a row for results

Bacter Clean-M

For info purposes. Check it out on their site for more info.

Albert

ggggg.png

Well it sounds like they had a real nice choice of a lot of frags and those Clams sound nice indeed but you have not had good luck with them if I remember so it was probably a good idea not to get one.

Maybe those hundreds of tiny snails I have eat my clams. I will get to the bottom of this as I know they eat clams.

I may build a snail proof place in the tank. Something on the line of an electric fence like they used in Jurassic Park to keep the tryanasoaurus contained.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Maybe those hundreds of tiny snails I have eat my clams.

I thought you wrote that you thought the Clam could killed by the Bristleworms, but then you also wrote that you may not have that many of them left ... so maybe those snails are eating the Worms ... or something else in the tank ...

I gather that right now you no longer have a Clam in your RUGF 43 year old super special unique LI tank ... or do you :-0

Albert

ggggg.png

albertthiel

I may build a snail proof place in the tank. Something on the line of an electric fence like they used in Jurassic Park to keep the tryanasoaurus contained.

Oops ... if my memory serves me still :) water conducts electricity ... that may not be too good for the rest of what's in the tank ... :-0

So as I guess Paul ... how many do you really think you have in the tank ?

And if you can and feel like it could you send me about a dozen, I want to run an experiment on them .... PM me the freight cost will you.

Thanks

Albert

There are to my knowledge just two places within the UK selling Oxydators. Seahorsebreeder will post to countries outside the UK inc the USA and Canada amongst others. I am unsure of the shipping charges but an email to them will no doubt provide the answer. I understand a number have already been dispatched to both the US and Canada. However I believe zooplus will not post outside the UK but you can check with them.

http://www.seahorsebreeder.co.uk/catalog/index.php
and

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/t...s/oxygen/81512

Les.

• Like 1
albertthiel

There are to my knowledge just two places within the UK selling Oxydators. Seahorsebreeder will post to countries outside the UK inc the USA and Canada amongst others. I am unsure of the shipping charges but an email to them will no doubt provide the answer. I understand a number have already been dispatched to both the US and Canada. However I believe zooplus will not post outside the UK but you can check with them.

http://www.seahorsebreeder.co.uk/catalog/index.php

and

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/t...s/oxygen/81512

Les.

Thanks Les .... Good info as on another forum someone just asked me the question as his fish are not looking good and he fears they may be getting Brooklynella hostilis ... Improving the water quality will certainly help, although if they have it already and so that there is no misunderstanding, the Oxydator is not a cure for diseases !

Albert

• Like 1

This is true however it will help with a fish's recovery and will help to fend off diseases from occurring in the first instance but as you say it cannot be considered a cure. In the case of white spot, ick then it will help the fish breath far better when the parasite is in the gills asphyxiating the fish

Albert we are in danger of sounding like Oxydator's are some kind of snake oil given all the benefits we have posted about using them. What people need to understand is that I am writing about Oxydator's mainly from experience and you do as well even if your experience with them is not as long as I have been using them. It is no coincidence however that since you tried one in your nano and have seen the results for yourself and written about them that people are finally listening and indeed seeing the benefits for themselves.

You have put a massive amount of weight behind what I have been telling people for so many years on here, on other forums and in your new book for which I truly thank you. Prior to you taking up and championing the use of Oxydator's I got what I can only describe as sarcasm, rudeness and scoffing on the thread that I first posted on nano reefs. Needless to say I stopped posting on my thread due to peoples ignorance and attitude.

I have to say the responses about the use of Oxydator's on your thread have been far more encouraging and fair hence why I have been more than willing to answer questions on Oxydator's to the best of my knowledge. Thank you and thank you all.

Les.

Thanks Les .... Good info as on another forum someone just asked me the question as his fish are not looking good and he fears they may be getting Brooklynella hostilis ... Improving the water quality will certainly help, although if they have it already and so that there is no misunderstanding, the Oxydator is not a cure for diseases !

Albert

• Like 1

Prior to you taking up and championing the use of Oxydator's I got what I can only describe as sarcasm, rudeness and scoffing on the thread that I first posted on nano reefs. Needless to say I stopped posting on my thread due to peoples ignorance and attitude.

Les.

You should put in a reverse undergravel filter and see the sarcasm, rudeness and scoffing that you will get. :huh:

Oops ... if my memory serves me still :) water conducts electricity ... that may not be too good for the rest of what's in the tank ... :-0

So as I guess Paul ... how many do you really think you have in the tank ?

And if you can and feel like it could you send me about a dozen, I want to run an experiment on them .... PM me the freight cost will you.

Thanks

Albert

I don't know how many snails I have and when I get to my boat I want to collect for you some mud, amphipods, shrimp and whatever else looks interesting and if I remember I will send you a bunch of snails. Unless I get around to it sooner. I must have hundreds of those snails as I see dozens of babies on the glass before the lights come on. I should collect the snails this week as these "pests" usually don't last in my tank for long and they get replaced by something else, maybe manta rays.

• Like 2

I have run a RFUGF many years ago using a Fluval external filter (302 I think it was) with 2 inlets and 2 outlets pumping into the uplift (or should that be down lift) tubes. I think I mentioned I sealed the tops of the tubes and the power filter outlets using baby bottle teats. That worked quite well but I didn't keep much in the way of inverts in it back then.

You should put in a reverse undergravel filter and see the sarcasm, rudeness and scoffing that you will get. :huh:

• Like 1
albertthiel

This is true however it will help with a fish's recovery and will help to fend off diseases from occurring in the first instance but as you say it cannot be considered a cure. In the case of white spot, ick then it will help the fish breath far better when the parasite is in the gills asphyxiating the fish

Albert we are in danger of sounding like Oxydator's are some kind of snake oil given all the benefits we have posted about using them. What people need to understand is that I am writing about Oxydator's mainly from experience and you do as well even if your experience with them is not as long as I have been using them. It is no coincidence however that since you tried one in your nano and have seen the results for yourself and written about them that people are finally listening and indeed seeing the benefits for themselves.

You have put a massive amount of weight behind what I have been telling people for so many years on here, on other forums and in your new book for which I truly thank you. Prior to you taking up and championing the use of Oxydator's I got what I can only describe as sarcasm, rudeness and scoffing on the thread that I first posted on nano reefs. Needless to say I stopped posting on my thread due to peoples ignorance and attitude.

I have to say the responses about the use of Oxydator's on your thread have been far more encouraging and fair hence why I have been more than willing to answer questions on Oxydator's to the best of my knowledge. Thank you and thank you all.

Les.

Very well said Les and as a preventative of what you mention that is indeed how it works, it helps so to speak if fish have minor infections but as you state and as I have stated it is not a "medication" for any disease, it "may alleviate symptoms and "aid" in recovery but it is not the method of choice to use once a disease has set in. That is not its purpose and nowhere does it say that it is.

Hopefully all who read this will understand this (where it comes to diseases) and not decide that it should be used in lieu of whatever is recommended ...

Thanks for clarifying that again ...

And it should also be pointed out " that neither you nor I get paid or compensated in any way " for relating what our experiences with it are.

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I don't know how many snails I have and when I get to my boat I want to collect for you some mud, amphipods, shrimp and whatever else looks interesting and if I remember I will send you a bunch of snails. Unless I get around to it sooner. I must have hundreds of those snails as I see dozens of babies on the glass before the lights come on. I should collect the snails this week as these "pests" usually don't last in my tank for long and they get replaced by something else, maybe manta rays.

Yes now that would be an interesting thing for Les to do .... get a thread going on RUGF's and see what kind of reactions he gets ... it is actually interesting that even though there are still IMO a good number of Hobs out there who do run them, that they do not write about their experiences for the reasons that you point out ... some have tried but they have give up on the basis of "why do I need the aggravation" especially since their systems more than likely run just as well as yours.

And on the snails and the mud and whatever else you find ... no rush Paul ... whenever you "get around to it" as they say ... and Thanks.

Your next invention has to be a Snail-O-Terminator .... :-o well not all of them but those Margin Snails that are carnivores ! Although of course I guess we still do not know what they feed on ... maybe your gravel .... who knows ... could be that they feed on dead or dying meaty morsels of various kinds and on the clam meat you put in the tank ... more shall be revealed as they say ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I have run a RFUGF many years ago using a Fluval external filter (302 I think it was) with 2 inlets and 2 outlets pumping into the uplift (or should that be down lift) tubes. I think I mentioned I sealed the tops of the tubes and the power filter outlets using baby bottle teats. That worked quite well but I didn't keep much in the way of inverts in it back then.

Yes I remember your relating that and how you did it ... and maybe you even have some docs and notes about it up in your attic .... (hint hint hint).

Albert

• Like 1

I didn't keep logs/notes back them Albert as we only had slate and charcoal to write with. :lol:

Yes I remember your relating that and how you did it ... and maybe you even have some docs and notes about it up in your attic .... (hint hint hint).

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

I didn't keep logs/notes back them Albert as we only had slate and charcoal to write with. :lol:

Well well ... no you are giving your age away Les .... no #2 pencils in those days ? but I know what you mean ... we were not inclined to keep records and what we had available was not like what we have today ... sophisticated "journaling software" etc ... and of course just plain logbooks.

Albert

I thought you wrote that you thought the Clam could killed by the Bristleworms, but then you also wrote that you may not have that many of them left ... so maybe those snails are eating the Worms ... or something else in the tank ...

I gather that right now you no longer have a Clam in your RUGF 43 year old super special unique LI tank ... or do you :-0

Albert

ggggg.png

Maybe the snails eat the bristle worms, then get bored and eat my clams. Or the bristleworms eat the clams then bother the snails, or maybe, just maybe the clams eat both the snails and bristleworms then die of indigestion.

That is why I don't have a clam now, but I will soon

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Hey Albert,

Here's one I couldn't google, but I'm sure you'll know. When putting baffles in a sump, how much space do you leave for silicone. For example, if you have a tank that is 12 inches wide, I imagine you don't want your glass cut to exactly 12 inches. Is there a rule of thumb? 1/8 inch space on each side?

Thanks!

• Like 1

I have found the best way to fit baffles is to cut the glass as close as you wish to the exact size then silicone the glass from each side thereby double sealing it. any slight gap is then filled with silicone. If you try and put the silicone on the edges of the glass baffle you end up with smearing silicone on the sump glass sides.

Hey Albert,

Here's one I couldn't google, but I'm sure you'll know. When putting baffles in a sump, how much space do you leave for silicone. For example, if you have a tank that is 12 inches wide, I imagine you don't want your glass cut to exactly 12 inches. Is there a rule of thumb? 1/8 inch space on each side?

Thanks!

• Like 1