Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

albertthiel

The Same Member wants to see Pics of the Model D :

The rendering of it is actually also in my book : Nano-Reef Aquariums

oxyd_d.jpg

0xyd_d1.jpg

Copyrights indicated (first one is Sochting's)

Albert

Just a point on ordering the H2O2 I have found it best to order it from eBay here in the UK.

Thanks Les ....

That is what they do Paul but you should see him again as you feed and the behavior is that of a shy fish and with all the spaces he has to hide in in your tank he can be out of sight real easily.

After he gets really used to your tank though he should come out more and more especially when you feed and if he still looks nice and fat then I imagine he IS getting food ... He is not your always in the visible area swimmer that is for sure....

Albert

She is definately a hider, but I am used to that type of fish. I once had a cusk eel for 18 years and almost never saw it unlesss I searched at night with a flashlight, (but I told you about him already) As you said, my tank is 6' long and I can't see the back or the sides so days can go by with me searching and never seeing some of my fish. But I don't buy fish just so I could see them, as long as I know she is in there, I am happy and she can do her own thing without me bothering her.

• Like 1

Here's a little story for you regarding fish you bought and never see.

Back in 1988 I bought 2 new marine fish new to the hobby here in the UK called at the time worm gobies (now called Engineer gobies) and put them in my 130 gallon reef tank. After a few weeks they disappeared and I never saw either for many many months. I thought they had gone the way of the world. One day around 18 months later while feeding the tank I briefly saw this what looked like a Moray eels head pop out from behind some rocks and grab a piece of food floating by.

OMG I thought how on earth did a Moray eel get in my tank. I didn't want to strip the tank down to catch this stowaway so i hatched a plan. I didn't feed the tank for a number of days then got a small hook and fishing line and baited it with some mussel. I poured some mussel milk into the tank then allowed the hook and bait to float by where i had seen this monster fish. The monster took the bait and hook and after a struggle I pulled it out of the tank and into a waiting bucket.

The Engineer goby measured 28cm that's 11" long. I Id'd the goby from Dr. Warren Burgesse's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes. (what ever became of him I do not know perhaps you do Albert?) In the Atlas Dr. Burgess stated that the Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) grows to 6cm about 2.1/2". I wrote to Dr. Burgess and informed him of the size my Engineer goby had attained informing him of the size my goby had grown too.

No Internet then of course but Dr Burgess was kind enough to reply and I still have the personal letter from him dated October 24, 1989 thanking me for the information I was able to supply him with and for "sharing your experiences and knowledge with us"

Les.

• Like 3
albertthiel

She is definately a hider, but I am used to that type of fish. I once had a cusk eel for 18 years and almost never saw it unlesss I searched at night with a flashlight, (but I told you about him already) As you said, my tank is 6' long and I can't see the back or the sides so days can go by with me searching and never seeing some of my fish. But I don't buy fish just so I could see them, as long as I know she is in there, I am happy and she can do her own thing without me bothering her.

Yes I do remember that, and pretty soon I will have those critter torches from the UK that got such great reviews and really allow hobbyists to see what they have on their tanks at night with the red LED that is in it so that should help you and others I think in figuring out what else they have in their tanks. I sure am going to check my tank out with one of those for sure ....

torchhh.png

An on the Possum wrasse IME you will see it from time to time, but probably not all that much as you know, but it will be there ... and in good health in your tank for sure,

Albert

albertthiel

Here's a little story for you regarding fish you bought and never see.

Back in 1988 I bought 2 new marine fish new to the hobby here in the UK called at the time worm gobies (now called Engineer gobies) and put them in my 130 gallon reef tank. After a few weeks they disappeared and I never saw either for many many months. I thought they had gone the way of the world. One day around 18 months later while feeding the tank I briefly saw this what looked like a Moray eels head pop out from behind some rocks and grab a piece of food floating by.

OMG I thought how on earth did a Moray eel get in my tank. I didn't want to strip the tank down to catch this stowaway so i hatched a plan. I didn't feed the tank for a number of days then got a small hook and fishing line and baited it with some mussel. I poured some mussel milk into the tank then allowed the hook and bait to float by where i had seen this monster fish. The monster took the bait and hook and after a struggle I pulled it out of the tank and into a waiting bucket.

The Engineer goby measured 28cm that's 11" long. I Id'd the goby from Dr. Warren Burgesse's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes. (what ever became of him I do not know perhaps you do Albert?) In the Atlas Dr. Burgess stated that the Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) grows to 6cm about 2.1/2". I wrote to Dr. Burgess and informed him of the size my Engineer goby had attained informing him of the size my goby had grown too.

No Internet then of course but Dr Burgess was kind enough to reply and I still have the personal letter from him dated October 24, 1989 thanking me for the information I was able to supply him with and for "sharing your experiences and knowledge with us"

Les.

Interesting Experience that must have been indeed but the one you mention which also goes by Convict Goby can grow up to 12+ inches long .... so I guess what we now all Engineer Gobies is not what they are called in some other literature Les ... see this one :

http://www.seahorsebreeder.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/26/osCsid/46bdc6989a4e8534f1020535e2fb73b0

That Fishdb does mention the large size so IMO that is what you had and not the small ones we get from LFS's nowadays ...

Guess that is the problem with common names sometimes .... Certainly would not want to add one that grow THAT large to any tank !

Nice way too on how you caught him ! Fishing in one's own tank ... Great .. not travel needed ! Watch TV and FISH at the same time !

Albert

albertthiel

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?

Good question indeed ... probably neither .... :-o Kind of a 64K $ question ... !

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

Les.

And on that Goby that is not really a Goby according to the FishDB here for those who have not used the link is some inf :

The Engineer Goby (Pholidichthys leucotaenia) is sometimes called a Convict Goby. It belongs to the family named Pholidichthyidae. Typically reaching a max size of about 12.2 inches in length, the Engineer Goby is passive in nature and moderately hardy in stamina. It's more active during the daytime and less at night. According to FishDB current data, captive breeding success is good and there are no external signs of sexual differences. Pholidichthys leucotaenia should not be housed in a tank less than 75 gallons in size. Tank parameters should be maintained with ph level between 8.1 - 8.3, temperature between 77 - 79 degrees fahrenheit, and a salinity between 1.020 - 1.023. Some of the environmental concerns that you should strive to replicate in your home aquaria to promote succesful acclimation include a mixed substrate, a deep substrate, and a peaceful environment.

Albert

Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?

I am not sure but if someone was hitting you with a hammar, would you rather they slow down or speed up?

• Like 1
albertthiel

I am not sure but if someone was hitting you with a hammar, would you rather they slow down or speed up?

Are we getting into what if's now as there are tons of tons ... like why do they have Interstate Highways in Hawaii ? Wonder what state the go to ? Does anyone know ...

Or if the Universe keeps expanding ... it must expand into where it was not ... so wat was there then before it did expand into it, or is the Universe "elastic" maybe and the expansion is not into something new but it jut get larger by elasticity, but that still then brings up the point of what does it it elastically expand into ? Oh well I give up

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

The May June Coral Mag came in today with a Feature article on Wrasses (and another one on Reef Safe ones) + as usual a number of other most interesting articles

Albert

Yes I do remember that, and pretty soon I will have those critter torches from the UK that got such great reviews and really allow hobbyists to see what they have on their tanks at night with the red LED that is in it so that should help you and others I think in figuring out what else they have in their tanks. I sure am going to check my tank out with one of those for sure ....

torchhh.png

An on the Possum wrasse IME you will see it from time to time, but probably not all that much as you know, but it will be there ... and in good health in your tank for sure,

Albert

They are cool and I will build one as soon as I get a little time. It is almost boating season so that takes priority and I am building some backyard structures, but I will get to it.

• Like 1
albertthiel

They are cool and I will build one as soon as I get a little time. It is almost boating season so that takes priority and I am building some backyard structures, but I will get to it.

When they come in Paul I will send you one to review and test and post your evaluation of them ... They should be in on Monday or Tuesday ...

Albert

albertthiel

Calling it an early night ... really need to get over this Bug or whatever it is that I have ...

Nite .... Albert ...

Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow ...

" Would you rather fight 100 duck sized horses or 1 horse sized duck?"

Id go with horses cause they wont fly, all ya have to do is run up an apple tree and toss down.apples untill you figure out what els to do...

Ducks, unless you got a loaf of bread and some shelter, the duck would likely floy over and peck you in the head so hard it would kill ya. So yes, 100 tiny apple eating horses....

• Like 1
albertthiel

Id go with horses cause they wont fly, all ya have to do is run up an apple tree and toss down.apples untill you figure out what els to do...

Ducks, unless you got a loaf of bread and some shelter, the duck would likely floy over and peck you in the head so hard it would kill ya. So yes, 100 tiny apple eating horses....

:) .. not too sure about that one ... but then ... I don't think I'll run in either anytime soon ...

Albert

albertthiel

When i lived in Antwerp, Belgium and visited the Zoo regularly I was attacked by a flock of Duck (if flock is the correct word) and I can tell you those things are "nasty" and if there are several, they "bite" and hard too and ever since then as I still remember the bunch of them going after me and moving nearly as fast as I could run as a young boy in those days, "Ducks are NOT my buddies" for sure ....

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Well here is a BIG one for you that Paul may recognize ....

bigduck.png

Albert

albertthiel

" The Marine Fish and Invert Reef Aquarium " Book is available for FREE at the following Link ..

Remember this was written in the late 1988 and revised and updated a few times for a total of 9 Priintgs.

I believe that Small Reef Aquarium Basics is posted on a Site as well for free ... and I will add the link as soon as I locate it ...

Enjoy, and if you have my new Book Nano Reef Aquariums it will be quite obvious that a lot has changed but that a lot has remained the same as well ... but, of course, lots of progress has been made, which was the reason I wrote Nano-Reef Aquariums to begin with !

Albert

Link :

http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/thielbook/thieltoc.html

• Like 1
albertthiel

" Small Reef Aquariums " the Book I wrote in 1989 (reminds you of Nano ? ) and that was updated in 1992 by adding over 110 pages, is also available for free on the Net ...

Not sure how it goes there, but then since it is available I may as well pass on the link to it for those who are interested ....

Link :

http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/srab/srabtoc.html

Note that the email listed in this book, and in the MFIRA one (previous post), is no longer in effect ... it was discontinued when the T.A.T. Company was sold in 1996, at which time I had nothing to do any longer with T A T, but the new owner continued to operate under the same name, and many of you know what that lead to and how it affected me .... oh well ... nothing we can do about it now ...

Albert

• Like 1

Woke up to sympodium being mostly gone. Awesome. I give up. My zoas, ric, mushroom, gsp, and little frag of undata seem okay but the sympodium I guess just did not like the tank.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Woke up to sympodium being mostly gone. Awesome. I give up. My zoas, ric, mushroom, gsp, and little frag of undata seem okay but the sympodium I guess just did not like the tank.

That is odd indeed as it would not just disappear IMO ... Are your tank parameters at their normal levels ?

Is this the type you have/had ...

sympod.png

Albert