Innovative Marine Aquariums

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Mr. Microscope

The layout of my design is somewhat complex being a cube. I was thinking about building the innards first and then adding the outside walls.

• Like 1

That sound very tricky to me and everything would have to be exactly straight, in line and level which would be difficult to achieve IMO.

The layout of my design is somewhat complex being a cube. I was thinking about building the innards first and then adding the outside walls.

• Like 2
albertthiel

Maybe the snails eat the bristle worms, then get bored and eat my clams. Or the bristleworms eat the clams then bother the snails, or maybe, just maybe the clams eat both the snails and bristleworms then die of indigestion.

That is why I don't have a clam now, but I will soon

Lots of possibilities indeed Paul .... I like the last one although it would be a pity for the Clam if that is what really happened ... I guess you will never really now ... unfortunately for your clam or clams ...

Thanks for the thoughts though ...

Albert

albertthiel

Hey Albert,

Here's one I couldn't google, but I'm sure you'll know. When putting baffles in a sump, how much space do you leave for silicone. For example, if you have a tank that is 12 inches wide, I imagine you don't want your glass cut to exactly 12 inches. Is there a rule of thumb? 1/8 inch space on each side?

Thanks!

Yes that seems about right, close to 1/8 or a little less, but as Les suggested I would build the outside first, and then put the baffles in ... I think that will make the job a lot easier for you ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks Albert!!! Greatly appreciated!

You are welcome and you can get little plastic tools at the Big Box stores that allow you to spread the silicone nice and evenly. They sort of look like a V and you use it to smoothen the silicone evenly so it does not look uneven ... also tape the side glass with some masking tape so that after you strike the silicone out, you can after a short while remove the making tape and get a straight line of silicone

Hope that helps but if you need more info, let me know ..

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

So what do those Critter LED's I referred to look like ? Well here are some pics ... the one with the LED on was taken in plain daylight lying down on the glass that is the top of my desk.

I'll try to take some pics when the tank lights are out so we can all see what brightness they deliver and what we can see in the tank when all is dark ... and just the red LED on ...

Packaging ....

torch10.png

And the brightness in plain daylight :

torch11.png

That IS bright for sure .... more to follow tonight ....

Nice I would say ...

Albert

• Like 2
albertthiel

Cool! Good luck.

Thanks, It good an excellent review on Reefbuilders (I think it is on page 10 by now as Jake adds a lot of material every days)

I'll post some night pics either late tonight or early in the morning ...

Albert

That is odd indeed as it would not just disappear IMO ... Are your tank parameters at their normal levels ?

Is this the type you have/had ...

sympod.png

Albert

Couldn't see the picture. when I checked before leaving Saturday, parameters were normal, yes. Cant guarantee that they'll still be when I get home hah. There's probably gonna be algae, too, because I think I forgot to have the light stay on for shorter lengths of time.

• Like 1

You are welcome and you can get little plastic tools at the Big Box stores that allow you to spread the silicone nice and evenly. They sort of look like a V and you use it to smoothen the silicone evenly so it does not look uneven ... also tape the side glass with some masking tape so that after you strike the silicone out, you can after a short while remove the making tape and get a straight line of silicone

Hope that helps but if you need more info, let me know ..

Albert

If you screw up with the silicone, just leave it alone, don't try to wipe it off. After it dries remove it with a razor blade.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Couldn't see the picture. when I checked before leaving Saturday, parameters were normal, yes. Cant guarantee that they'll still be when I get home hah. There's probably gonna be algae, too, because I think I forgot to have the light stay on for shorter lengths of time.

Well I hope they will still be ok and just so retracted that you have a hard time seeing them. If they are on a frag, which I think they are from the pic you posted, you may want to take the frag out so you can get a close up picture so we can all better see what they look like now shinynic ... Thanks ...

Albert

albertthiel

If you screw up with the silicone, just leave it alone, don't try to wipe it off. After it dries remove it with a razor blade.

Yes true, and using a metal ruler to get a straight cut is a goo idea, and being real careful not to cut "one's self".

Thanks for adding that Paul ... I used to work with it a lot in the past, and found that one gets better at it the more one uses it ... but then that is true than with more than just silicone ....

Albert

albertthiel

The Critter LED for night viewing of your Nano-Reef ...

Did not get up during the night to take Pics of the Tank with the Red LED Critter LED ...

Sorry .. will try tonight ... an post some pics then

Albert

Yes true, and using a metal ruler to get a straight cut is a goo idea, and being real careful not to cut "one's self".

Thanks for adding that Paul ... I used to work with it a lot in the past, and found that one gets better at it the more one uses it ... but then that is true than with more than just silicone ....

Albert

Very true, if you cut yourself the silicone will be tinted red, unless you are an invertabrate, then it may be blue but that is for another thread. It is also true with Supermodels, that you get better the longer you work with them, but even though I worked on a Victoria Secret photo shoot a couple of times, they still would not let me put the wings on the girls. :(

• Like 1

Hi Albert. If you had the choice of either would you choose a pink bar goby or yasha goby? Both would be paired with a red-banded snapping shrimp. Any idea on which one is more visible in the tank?

Karen

• Like 1
albertthiel

Very true, if you cut yourself the silicone will be tinted red, unless you are an invertabrate, then it may be blue but that is for another thread. It is also true with Supermodels, that you get better the longer you work with them, but even though I worked on a Victoria Secret photo shoot a couple of times, they still would not let me put the wings on the girls. :(

That is true unless you use Black Silicone ... :-) and on the Super Models ... that's a shame .. putting those wings on would have been great fun indeed ...

Albert

albertthiel

Hi Albert. If you had the choice of either would you choose a pink bar goby or yasha goby? Both would be paired with a red-banded snapping shrimp. Any idea on which one is more visible in the tank?

Karen

I would go with the Yasha and the A. randalli red banded shrimp (watch out though as that common name is used for several other shrimp too) and the best is to buy them as a pair, not one from one tank and the other one from another tank ... LFS should have them available as pairs already ...

The A. randalli is a gorgeous one btw and so it the Yasha ...

Albert

• Like 2

Karen

I am going to get a yasha gobi as soon as I get time to get to the store. I love those things and can't remember if I ever had one.

The one would be visable if it gets along with your shrimp and the shrimp decides to make his burrow in the front of the tank.

It's the shrimp that decides where they live.

• Like 1
albertthiel

I am going to get a yasha gobi as soon as I get time to get to the store. I love those things and can't remember if I ever had one.

The one would be visable if it gets along with your shrimp and the shrimp decides to make his burrow in the front of the tank.

It's the shrimp that decides where they live.

Great Shrimp Goby and its favorite shrimp is A. randalli but will associate with other ones too ... You probably had one at some point I would imagine Paul ... here is a pic ....

yasha.jpg

Also in the book p. 148 ... The other real nice one is the Dracula one (also in the book p. 149) ...

Albert

P.S. Paul check your PM .... sent you a message ...

• Like 1

Great pics Albert. I've committed to the next time I am at a reputable LFS and they have the pair I'm going to pick them up. I've passed them up so many different times and always regret it.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Great pics Albert. I've committed to the next time I am at a reputable LFS and they have the pair I'm going to pick them up. I've passed them up so many different times and always regret it.

Yes that is a great Goby ... I have a Yellow Rose Goby one but it is so shy that I hardly ever ever see it anymore, but it is still there. At least the Yasha is not as cryptic and in hiding most of the time like the YRG ...

The other one that I think is a great one is the Dracula one.

Albert