inTank Media Baskets

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Yes I can see that ... looks real nice and enjoying the care you are taking of it ...

And on the other one ... yes I does look Huge indeed ... but as large as a closet is still large ... :-o

Quite day it seems today ... Here in ATL it is raining and raining and more rain ... flood watches in effect in a lot of counties ... but I don't live near a creek or stream so I should be OK ...

Albert

Today I went to a frag swap in Manhattan. We donated 3 Majano Wands to the raffle and I had a good time.

• Like 1

Not often I have been able to take a pic of this fascinating creature that I got a few weeks ago to help rid my tank of some hair algae that had appeared and what a job its doing very little left now. When its done its job I will move it onto another reefer who may need it. I know you can feed them algae wafers etc but I think its best moved on when the job is complete. For those that don't know what it is its a Sea hare and if you have a hair algae issue then this is an animal which will go through it like a lawn mower.

SeaHare004_zps09dcc9b4.jpg

SeaHare002_zps0ef18c85.jpg

I was also able to take a quick video of it which I may put up on my YouTube channel.

• Like 2
albertthiel

CORRECT ;)

I guess that was a test then :-0 .... A bit small but the lines and color and the black spot allowed me to recognize it as Liopropoma swalesi .... also tail is orange/reddish and no black marks like L. rubre, and the dark spot is round and not elongated ...

Albert

• Like 1

Hi. Since my 2 cardinalfish died as I mentioned in an earlier post to you I have a stocking question for you. I am the person with the 30 gallon IM nuvo tank. The pink streaked wrasse and tailspot blenny are very healthy, doing great and almost always visible. They hang out quite a lot together. Whatever I add I do not want it to be aggressive against these two or disrupt them too much so it would need to be a peaceful fish. What would you recommend? I have thought about a pearly jawfish or a single ocellaris clown fish but any recommendations are welcome.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Today I went to a frag swap in Manhattan. We donated 3 Majano Wands to the raffle and I had a good time.

Well glad you did .. yes there was a big one in NY I think and I may have posted about it a few days ago ...

Nice of you to donate the Majano Wands ... And did you get anything for your tank ... or did you just go window (well tank) shopping?

Albert

albertthiel

Not often I have been able to take a pic of this fascinating creature that I got a few weeks ago to help rid my tank of some hair algae that had appeared and what a job its doing very little left now.

When its done its job I will move it onto another reefer who may need it. I know you can feed them algae wafers etc but I think its best moved on when the job is complete. For those that don't know what it is its a Sea hare and if you have a hair algae issue then this is an animal which will go through it like a lawn mower.

I was also able to take a quick video of it which I may put up on my YouTube channel.

Nice shots Les and yes they work better than a John Deere Lawnmower indeed and so I agree with you that keeping them fed when the hair algae are gone is not that easy and that it is a good idea to pass it on ...

Post a link to the Video once you have it uploaded will you ... Thanks

Albert

• Like 1

Your wish is my command Albert as I have done just that.

Side on to get the close ups of it..

Nice shots Les and yes they work better than a John Deere Lawnmower indeed and so I agree with you that keeping them fed when the hair algae are gone is not that easy and that it is a good idea to pass it on ...

Post a link to the Video once you have it uploaded will you ... Thanks

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Hi. Since my 2 cardinalfish died as I mentioned in an earlier post to you I have a stocking question for you. I am the person with the 30 gallon IM nuvo tank. The pink streaked wrasse and tailspot blenny are very healthy, doing great and almost always visible. They hang out quite a lot together. Whatever I add I do not want it to be aggressive against these two or disrupt them too much so it would need to be a peaceful fish. What would you recommend? I have thought about a pearly jawfish or a single ocellaris clown fish but any recommendations are welcome.

K : If you want something really peaceful I would not add a Clownfish .... maybe another Blenny, or maybe a shrimp Goby, but I would not add a Pearly Jawfish either unless you have the right kind of substrate mix for it, and remember it can get a large as 4 inches ... I think the Shrimp Goby pair may be a better choice ... just my thoughts ...

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Your wish is my command Albert as I have done just that. --- Thanks :-o LES

Side on to get the close ups of it..

Nice Les .... so now that we know you make some great looking videos, I am sure you will post some more ... All that needs to happen now is for me to figure out how to make some with my iPhone that I can post as each one I have made is just not good enough to post unfortunately.

Oh and on another note did you see all the posts on the UK forum about the Oxydator ... looks like quite a few members there are getting one or already got theirs and have it in their tanks. Lots of posts ... And they are all reporting excellent results.

And on yet another note, tonight at 10:00 I will be on the Radio Show ... at Wm Aquaculture - The Majestic Hour Show - The Nano Reef one ... I know sounds complicated but the link to it is :

http://underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com/nano-reef-hour-shrimp-gobies.php

I k now that for you it is a bit late .... but since all shows are recorded anyone who wishes can listen at any time ... and call in with questions if they are listening to the show Live ....

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

Thanks. Would two blennies fight?

Not if you select a peaceful one ... like the one in this Video ... Ecsenius lividanalis Some will recommend the Forktail one but that one is IME semi-aggressive ... but there are others ... look some up and let me know which ones you like and I'll let you know ...

Or if you have my book go to page 152 and onwards ....

One fish I really like but that is hard to find is a Goby not a Blenny : the Circus Goby also called the White Tiger Goby ... very peaceful fish

Albert

• Like 1

Which UK forum Albert can you post a link please. Am in bed now as it's late here and I have been in work today. I will bid you goodnight.

Nice Les .... so now that we know you make some great looking videos, I am sure you will post some more ... All that needs to happen now is for me to figure out how to make some with my iPhone that I can post as each one I have made is just not good enough to post unfortunately.

Oh and on another note did you see all the posts on the UK forum about the Oxydator ... looks like quite a few members there are getting one or already got theirs and have it in their tanks. Lots of posts ... And they are all reporting excellent results.

And on yet another note, tonight at 10:00 I will be on the Radio Show ... at Wm Aquaculture - The Majestic Hour Show - The Nano Reef one ... I know sounds complicated but the link to it is :

http://www.facebook.com/l/aAQGrN9lR/underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com/nano-reef-hour-shrimp-gobies.php'>http://underthesearadioprogram.yolasite.com/nano-reef-hour-shrimp-gobies.php

I k now that for you it is a bit late .... but since all shows are recorded anyone who wishes can listen at any time ... and call in with questions if they are listening to the show Live ....

Albert

• Like 1
albertthiel

A Video of a Shrimp Goby showing the typical behavior of the Pair ...

This Video is from the Majestic Aquarium / Wm Aquaculture site

Albert

K : If you want something really peaceful I would not add a Clownfish .... maybe another Blenny, or maybe a shrimp Goby, but I would not add a Pearly Jawfish either unless you have the right kind of substrate mix for it, and remember it can get a large as 4 inches ... I think the Shrimp Goby pair may be a better choice ... just my thoughts ...

Albert

Those jawfish also always jump out, especially in such a small tank. Now when I get one, to save time, I just take it out of the bag and throw it on the floor.

• Like 1
albertthiel

Those jawfish also always jump out, especially in such a small tank. Now when I get one, to save time, I just take it out of the bag and throw it on the floor.

Yes with Jawfish and others a cover over the tank is needed or they will indeed do so ... That tank however may have a cover already or it should no be that hard to make one using mesh that can be purchased at the big box stores.

This link shows at least two that are available through Wal-Mart. http://www.walmart.com/ip/22217748?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=21486607510&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

Albert