Top Shelf Aquatics

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

Deleted User 3

Awesome Gena! I love gobies.. I'm very tempted to get a GCB soooon <3 or a citrus one... I just love gobies... esp clown gobies.. :) Your tank looks amazing!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those gorgs are looking great! I'm definitely going to buy a few when I put my order into sealife later this month! I love the gobies and porcelain crabs are awesome too. The Captain, haha thats a great name for the little guy.

Thanks!!!! They have great stuff, for sure. I'm already planning my next order from them. Unless they have an unusual gorg, I'm done with them due to space. The next order will include 3 blue reef chromis as the main thing, and then whatever else catches my eye.

That is a strong lateral current! And I love it when fish do exactly what the description says they do. :P

Looking good Gena.

Hah....the current isn't strong in there at all!!!! Enough to sway things, but not blow the gorgs over. The feather gorg naturally bends over. The other one, I didn't want standing straight up. I wanted it at an angle, but it's heavy so it flopped over like that :lol: If I leave it like that, eventually I'll get shoots going straight up from the side facing up.

Yeah...those little gobies behave exactly like they said they would...go figure :lol: I still haven't seen both together yet. They must be making out in the shadows ;)

OMG I didn't realize Sealife inc is so close to me! Well, a few hours away, anyway, so I get cheap shipping. ;)

And they have Atlantic Deer Cowries!!

EDIT: hmm, maybe not cheap shipping. :/

Yeah, yeah, yeah,....you get all the fun stuff there in Florida :P

Awesome Gena! I love gobies.. I'm very tempted to get a GCB soooon <3 or a citrus one... I just love gobies... esp clown gobies.. :) Your tank looks amazing!

Thanks so much!!!!! Gobies are a ton of fun. I think they are my favorite....any and all varieties :happy:

Hah....the current isn't strong in there at all!!!! Enough to sway things, but not blow the gorgs over. The feather gorg naturally bends over. The other one, I didn't want standing straight up. I wanted it at an angle, but it's heavy so it flopped over like that :lol: If I leave it like that, eventually I'll get shoots going straight up from the side facing up.

Yeah...those little gobies behave exactly like they said they would...go figure :lol: I still haven't seen both together yet. They must be making out in the shadows ;)

Lol. Sarcasm fail (re: current) :rolleyes: Should definitely look really cool when they start bending and branching.

Gobies. :blush:

Wow! Love those gorgs!!!! They are perfect in there! New fishies too!

Thanks, Mark :)

Lol. Sarcasm fail (re: current) :rolleyes: Should definitely look really cool when they start bending and branching.

Gobies. :blush:

Oh :lol: I totally thought you were serious because I could totally see where someone would think the current was blasting!!!!!!

Great pics! The gobies are the cuteness. Can't wait to get mine. & btw, that Ric in the front left is huge!

Thanks! I'll have to look for your thread (if you have one) to see what gobies you are getting :)

Yeah...that's my giant peach ricordea. It is getting pretty huge!!!!

You got it ;) I'll need to start hacking soon on the one!!!!

Here are some quick pics for you guys. FTS showing the new gorgs. I'm sure you can figure out which ones are the new ones. (hint: right side). The lower one sitting horizontally is the one I have to trim. It's way bigger than I expected, but that's ok (NOT complaining ;)). I'll probably put one of the trim piece toward the top on the right side. That's where I had intended to place that one in the first place :)

FTS 9-5-12:

090512no1.jpg

Your clowns like that return nozzle corner eh? I had to look at your older FTS again cause I thought they were in the exact same position as the FTS you took today :lol:. Slightly different position but same general area.

Did the horizontal gorg fall over, or was that intentional? Just curious :P

the gobies are so cute!

It was half intentional. I wanted it at an angle, but not quite as much as it is :lol:

This tank reminds me of Metro Cat's tank

AMAZING!

Thanks, 6g :)

Wow, that purple gorg looks great! Awesome fish!

Of course you know i'll need some gorg frags eventually for my macro tank :P

TY :) You know you'll be getting some gorgs. I'm still out back....need to get in and feed the cats and the humans :lol: Doing that NOW ;)

Very nice gena!

Thanks, Richie!!!!!

Your clowns like that return nozzle corner eh? I had to look at your older FTS again cause I thought they were in the exact same position as the FTS you took today :lol:. Slightly different position but same general area.

Yep....that's where they always are. Occasionally they swim along the back eating the pods, but they always end up right back in that spot. I'm hoping once the toadstool grows larger they'll start living in it back there. That would be ideal :)

Yep....that's where they always are. Occasionally they swim along the back eating the pods, but they always end up right back in that spot. I'm hoping once the toadstool grows larger they'll start living in it back there. That would be ideal :)

My maroon spends the majority of his day under my bubble coral like it's an umbrella. At night if the bubble is open, ive seen him horizontal laying upside down from the bubble. Amazing to see him hover there like that. Sometimes that bubble closes at night and then he spends the night under the devils hand.

Thanks! I'll have to look for your thread (if you have one) to see what gobies you are getting :)

Yeah...that's my giant peach ricordea. It is getting pretty huge!!!!

I'm not sure I posted in my thread which gobies I'm looking at lol, it might be in Hypsophrys'. I'm milling over a couple, so it'll probably depend on what my LFS has in stock when I go. Right now I'm leaning towards a neon & green banded...

Did your Rics come initially on plugs/discs? Mine is attached to a disk, but it's always arching up & just doesn't look happy like other people's. The Blastos are happy in the same area light/flow-wise, so I figured it would be fine there too. Maybe I should try & glue it to a piece of rubble...

jedimasterben

John at Reefcleaners is on the hunt for me an Atlantic deer cowrie, so I'm not too sad about it now. ;)

We do get a lot of awesome stuff here in FL. A lot of stuff is collected just off the coast. I can collect nassarius snails, cerith snails, hermits galore, gracilaria, ulva, and a few types of sea fans that wash up on the shore. Not to mention loads of ricordeas and zoas just a few feet offshore, but they are all poop brown.

I'm not sure I posted in my thread which gobies I'm looking at lol, it might be in Hypsophrys'. I'm milling over a couple, so it'll probably depend on what my LFS has in stock when I go. Right now I'm leaning towards a neon & green banded...

Did your Rics come initially on plugs/discs? Mine is attached to a disk, but it's always arching up & just doesn't look happy like other people's. The Blastos are happy in the same area light/flow-wise, so I figured it would be fine there too. Maybe I should try & glue it to a piece of rubble...

Yeah I think it was mine. I like Sharknoses/Neons and of course the GBGs. :)

What great additions, Gena!! I am definitely going to add a few Gorgs to my wish list. I just love the natural feel that they add.

Love all the names for your fish and critters as well :)

My maroon spends the majority of his day under my bubble coral like it's an umbrella. At night if the bubble is open, ive seen him horizontal laying upside down from the bubble. Amazing to see him hover there like that. Sometimes that bubble closes at night and then he spends the night under the devils hand.

I want to see that in person!!!!!!

I got my rics from Morgan the reefgardener. Hers are attached to bits of rubble, for the most part. Rics can be very fussy. I've had best results with them in low flow areas. They also like company. Grouping them together keeps them happy and stops them from wandering....in my experience.

John at Reefcleaners is on the hunt for me an Atlantic deer cowrie, so I'm not too sad about it now. ;)

We do get a lot of awesome stuff here in FL. A lot of stuff is collected just off the coast. I can collect nassarius snails, cerith snails, hermits galore, gracilaria, ulva, and a few types of sea fans that wash up on the shore. Not to mention loads of ricordeas and zoas just a few feet offshore, but they are all poop brown.

I'll have to look up the deer cowrie. I think I know what it looks like, but need to be sure. So it's legal to collect all that stuff? That is soooo awesome. I'd be happy with poop brown ricordeas if I could harvest them myself. I wouldn't want many of those though :lol: They would add to my Florida/Caribbean theme ;)

What great additions, Gena!! I am definitely going to add a few Gorgs to my wish list. I just love the natural feel that they add.

Love all the names for your fish and critters as well :)

Thanks! I don't typically name my critters. I need to start doing it. I don't talk to my tank so that's why I never name anything :lol:

Lookin' great!

Thanks!!!!! When are you going to update your thread???? I'm waiting patiently ;)

Update time.

Fish and The Captain made it through the night. They look happy and healthy. Now for some drama. I took a peek in the tank last night and noticed the horizontal gorg was losing flesh :o I decided to pull it then and there and frag it into pieces. I made 3 frags. One is doing great today, the other two not so much. But, I was able to put the good frag where I wanted that gorg in the first place.

The feather gorg is losing a little flesh as well, but not nearly as badly as the other gorg. It doesn't look like I'll need to do anything for that one. Just time for healing.

So either I screwed up royally with them, somehow, or they were just weak specimens. Most likely the former :lol: My freebie gorg is doing great!!!!! Figures :rolleyes:

I took a bunch of photos today. I was trying to practice my macro shots with the camera. I still stink at it. I'll post the best ones. I'm definitely asking for a macro lens for my birthday or Christmas.

Photos:

New FTS 9-6-12:

090612no11.jpg

The Captain:

090612no10.jpg

The gobies hang out around the Red Grape macro, upside down :lol:

090612no9.jpg

090612no8.jpg

Sexy conference:

090612no7.jpg

Mohawks:

090612no6.jpg

Peach ricordea (for Jaime)

090612no5.jpg

I have a bunch of Ulva popping up from the rock..pretty cool!!!!

090612no4.jpg

Moved my pink galaxy up to the top of the tank. I read it's found in shallow water which would get lots of light. It seems to like it up there:

090612no3.jpg

Meteor shower hated the LEDs in the NC12. I moved it to the macro tank with T5 and it colored up nicely. It's still doing great since I moved it in here:

090612no2.jpg

Hansel and Gretel...my babies:

090612no1.jpg

That should be enough pictures for awhile!!!!!

Looking great!

I think gorgs can be affected by even the tiniest amount of air in their bags. One section of my Eunicea at the top of its bag, where there was just a small bubble, sloughed off on day 2. It's growing back already. :)

Edit: redundant sentence annoying me.

Sorry to hear about the Gorgs, hopefully the frags you made take off for you.

Pictures are great even without a macro lens. Sometimes you get really close up shots and your lose the depth of the rest of the tank. I need to learn to take balanced shots of my corals.

I think your tank is bordering on TOTM again, but first before I can recommend it, it needs an Staghorn coral for the very top. Seriously, one big Acro colony on the top of that gorg and softie heaven and it would look just like a perfect Atlantic reef. Also a Platygyra on the sand, it would be like diving in Florida only in your house.

OH PORITIES WITH CHRISTMAS TREE WORMS....... NOW. GO. DO IT.

jedimasterben
I'll have to look up the deer cowrie. I think I know what it looks like, but need to be sure. So it's legal to collect all that stuff? That is soooo awesome. I'd be happy with poop brown ricordeas if I could harvest them myself. I wouldn't want many of those though :lol: They would add to my Florida/Caribbean theme ;)

The deer cowrie is really pretty. Way too big for any nano, though. Even my 80 is pushing it with how many algae-vores I have now.

Just the shell:

Atlantic-Deer-Cowrie.jpg

Moving around:

bu1996.jpg

I have a bunch of Ulva popping up from the rock..pretty cool!!!!

090612no4.jpg

Ulva is really one of my favorites. I just wish my tangs and mollies didn't love nomming on it so dang much.

Moved my pink galaxy up to the top of the tank. I read it's found in shallow water which would get lots of light. It seems to like it up there:

090612no3.jpg

Too much light and it will turn deep red instead of pink. Mine that I have up on my SPS rock is in the process of turning blood red. Apparently I still have more light up there than I thought, and I turned my lights down to 50% maximum on each channel!

Nice bunch of Macros you have there. The only Macros I ever had were the typical Caulerpa species that were so popular back-in-the-day.

Wow Miss Gena, what a picture dump! You are getting very good on being an expert photographer! Can't wait till you get that macro lense and see what you do with it!!!!

I hope your gorgs do well!

Looking great!

I think gorgs can be affected by even the tiniest amount of air in their bags. One section of my Eunicea at the top of its bag, where there was just a small bubble, sloughed off on day 2. It's growing back already. :)

Edit: redundant sentence annoying me.

Thanks, Ian!!! Yeah, it was completely my fault then. Those gorgs were packed expertly. They were wrapped in paper towel so no air was going to get to them. The bag was filled with water too. I probably exposed them to the air too long when I was getting them into my tank. My reef glue was incredibly slow coming out so I had to wait on that :lol: The feather gorg is the one I really wanted and it seems like the tissue recession is now stopping. It's not bad at all and the polyps are all out and happy. The other purple frag I made is completely fine too. So there was not a complete loss by any means.

Sorry to hear about the Gorgs, hopefully the frags you made take off for you.

Pictures are great even without a macro lens. Sometimes you get really close up shots and your lose the depth of the rest of the tank. I need to learn to take balanced shots of my corals.

I think your tank is bordering on TOTM again, but first before I can recommend it, it needs an Staghorn coral for the very top. Seriously, one big Acro colony on the top of that gorg and softie heaven and it would look just like a perfect Atlantic reef. Also a Platygyra on the sand, it would be like diving in Florida only in your house.

OH PORITIES WITH CHRISTMAS TREE WORMS....... NOW. GO. DO IT.

That's very kind of you to say!!!! I googled staghorn images and they would fit in perfectly. Are they hard to care for???? I wanted to stay away from sps just because of the added care involved. These look like they are a brown color so I wouldn't have to worry about them browning out from all the nutrients in my tank :lol:

I googled the other two also.....I WANT :lol:

My plan from the beginning was putting that red bone macro algae up at the top (at the peak). When it gets bigger, it looks like a birdsnest colony!!!!!! It just needs to fill in.

The deer cowrie is really pretty. Way too big for any nano, though. Even my 80 is pushing it with how many algae-vores I have now.

Oh...yep...I know cowries. I ordered some from reef-cleaners but they didn't survive my tank. I don't think they survived more than a day or two.

Ulva is really one of my favorites. I just wish my tangs and mollies didn't love nomming on it so dang much.

Too much light and it will turn deep red instead of pink. Mine that I have up on my SPS rock is in the process of turning blood red. Apparently I still have more light up there than I thought, and I turned my lights down to 50% maximum on each channel!

I really love the looks of the ulva too. I had some growing on a powerhead. Once again, something from reef-cleaners. It came loose and the power head grabbed it. It did well up there so I left it. I'm excited it's growing naturally from the rock in this tank!!!!

Nice bunch of Macros you have there. The only Macros I ever had were the typical Caulerpa species that were so popular back-in-the-day.

Thanks! I hope more and more types of macros become available. Not that I really have room for more. I guess you could say I'm a little obsessed with them :)

Wow Miss Gena, what a picture dump! You are getting very good on being an expert photographer! Can't wait till you get that macro lense and see what you do with it!!!!

I hope your gorgs do well!

You are too kind! I can't wait for the macro lens! I hope it makes a difference for me :)

Archived