Top Shelf Aquatics

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought about setting up a 10gal cube for some LPS and macros, because the wifey looooves your tank. She doesn't appreciate the colored sticks.. yet.

Tank looks amazing.

I've had Royal Grammas and they are great fish, but if you want something of a similar shape and personality (a little more mellow perhaps, but also some interesting quirks) then maybe look at a Yellow Assessor. You won't get the purple, but you will get definite sexy compatibility. They are also available captive bred from ORA which is a plus IMO. I loved mine.

Thank you!!! I actually wasn't familiar with the Yellow Assessor. I had to look them up, and wow! Very pretty. But so expensive!!!!!! It's definitely on my list of possibilities. I wish it was comparable in price to the Royal Gramma. Thanks a TON for the suggestion!!!!!

I had a thick mat of red hair algae that was on the back of my tank, it had more pods than my chaeto clump did, I don't know why I scraped it off, it didn't even look bad. :/

And I managed to unknowingly purchase a Canon Rebel T3. :)

Was it the fuzzy red/pink algae? My pods love to live in that stuff. And I know it's considered a nuisance algae, but I LOVE it :) I think they call it "cotton candy" algae. The pods are constantly in it. I'm sure it makes them feel very secure.

Awesome on the Canon!!!!

Everything looks so natural! I love it :lol:

Thanks, Gramophone!!!! I'm glad people think it looks "natural" cuz that's exactly what I'm going for!!!!!

You and I plant our reef tanks like our gardens! B) BTW, where are you getting your gorgs from??

I never had a Royal Gramma but can they be agressive?

I'm trying to be better about not cramming things in. I know it could be worse, I've seen crammed tanks and I'm not a fan :lol: My gorgs are from KP Aquatics (formerly Sealife Inc.).

I wouldn't. I've had a couple of them in the past, and both times they were both very aggressive, so if you have any passive or reclusive fish, they will not be a good combination.

Thanks for the heads up on the grammas. I really don't want aggressive fish so I'll probably pass on the Royal Gramma. Another Caribbean fish would be the Blue Reef Chromis. I could possibly do one of those, but maybe they are better as a trio? I need to google that.

Wait, is this real life? Its so beautiful.

You should take a video, I want to watch the gorgs sway! :wub:

Me too!! Can only imagine the movement in this tank.

Thanks you guys! I'll do a video at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.

I actually thought about setting up a 10gal cube for some LPS and macros, because the wifey looooves your tank. She doesn't appreciate the colored sticks.. yet.

Cool!!!! Tell her thank you, from me :happy:

jedimasterben
Was it the fuzzy red/pink algae? My pods love to live in that stuff. And I know it's considered a nuisance algae, but I LOVE it :) I think they call it "cotton candy" algae. The pods are constantly in it. I'm sure it makes them feel very secure.

Awesome on the Canon!!!!

No, wasn't cotton candy algae, it just looked like red hair algae. There's still a bunch growing behind one of the rocks, hopefully it'll keep spreading to fill in the places I scraped off. ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the grammas. I really don't want aggressive fish so I'll probably pass on the Royal Gramma. Another Caribbean fish would be the Blue Reef Chromis. I could possibly do one of those, but maybe they are better as a trio? I need to google that.

The more of them you have, the better, and the more you feed them, the better. The people that have issues with them I guarantee are the people that only drop in pellets or flakes once a day or so and call them fed, but in the wild, they are planktivores. They love eating small foods that stay in the water column, like cyclop-eeze, golden pearls, and Reef cleaners filter feeder food. They seem to nip at Hikari mysis but don't show much interest. Throw in some baby brine shrimp (if you get decapsulated you don't need to hatch them) and they go nuts. I feed mine 3-5 times daily and since adopting that feeding regimen, I have not lost a single one.

Looselyhuman
Thank you!!! I actually wasn't familiar with the Yellow Assessor. I had to look them up, and wow! Very pretty. But so expensive!!!!!! It's definitely on my list of possibilities. I wish it was comparable in price to the Royal Gramma. Thanks a TON for the suggestion!!!!!

You're welcome. They aren't cheap but SO worth it. I bet your LFS could get you one from ORA for $40 (because you probably have a great relationship w/them). Watch this and tell me you didn't fall in love (and it's not even a very good video):

Yes, it is upside-down - one of the quirks I was referring to. :D They orient towards whatever rock surface they happen to be treating as "home base" in a given moment. Gravity means nothing to them.

Also, FWIW, I never thought of my Royal Gramma as aggressive, even to the smallest gobies, tiny perculas, etc. But Sexy Shrimp would probably have been a different deal altogether. Note however that there is a Brazilian Gramma that looks almost identical to the Royal and they are a little feisty. There's also a Psuedochromis with similar coloration. Both of these give the Royal a bad rap IMO. If you do decide to risk the shrimps, just make sure you're getting a true Royal Gramma. HTH (I still say Assessor btw) :)

No, wasn't cotton candy algae, it just looked like red hair algae. There's still a bunch growing behind one of the rocks, hopefully it'll keep spreading to fill in the places I scraped off. ;)

The more of them you have, the better, and the more you feed them, the better. The people that have issues with them I guarantee are the people that only drop in pellets or flakes once a day or so and call them fed, but in the wild, they are planktivores. They love eating small foods that stay in the water column, like cyclop-eeze, golden pearls, and Reef cleaners filter feeder food. They seem to nip at Hikari mysis but don't show much interest. Throw in some baby brine shrimp (if you get decapsulated you don't need to hatch them) and they go nuts. I feed mine 3-5 times daily and since adopting that feeding regimen, I have not lost a single one.

Ok...now I'm reconsidering them again!!!!!!

You're welcome. They aren't cheap but SO worth it. I bet your LFS could get you one from ORA for $40 (because you probably have a great relationship w/them). Watch this and tell me you didn't fall in love (and it's not even a very good video):

Yes, it is upside-down - one of the quirks I was referring to. :D They orient towards whatever rock surface they happen to be treating as "home base" in a given moment. Gravity means nothing to them.

Also, FWIW, I never thought of my Royal Gramma as aggressive, even to the smallest gobies, tiny perculas, etc. But Sexy Shrimp would probably have been a different deal altogether. Note however that there is a Brazilian Gramma that looks almost identical to the Royal and they are a little feisty. There's also a Psuedochromis with similar coloration. Both of these give the Royal a bad rap IMO. If you do decide to risk the shrimps, just make sure you're getting a true Royal Gramma. HTH (I still say Assessor btw) :)

What a peaceful fish!!!!! I don't have many overhangs in my rockscape...they are mostly blocked by coral and macros. Hmmmmmm..... decisions!!!!! I'm leaning toward the gramma again :lol: I would order it from KP Aquatics (sealifeinc.) so I KNOW it's the right species. Thanks for the video :)

jedimasterben
Ok...now I'm reconsidering them again!!!!!!

:lol: As long as you keep them well-fed, you will have zero issues and they will all live long, healthy lives. If not, you'll come home to one after another gone.

I want to put 3 Chromis in my tank. I would really be pushing the bio load but then again who among us doesn't :D

7 fish in a 20H, I guess I would have a reason to upgrade later on.

Indecision 2012, reefer style. :unsure:

:lol: :lol:

Love both of the choices that you're considering, Gena. The way the Assessor orients itself to the rockwork, even upside-down, is pretty wild. Looks like a really chill and peaceful fish.

Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend.

-Adam

:lol: As long as you keep them well-fed, you will have zero issues and they will all live long, healthy lives. If not, you'll come home to one after another gone.

Will do!!!!!! I think I'm going for the gramma. It will be the last fish I add though. I want my wrasse to be comfortably settled in before I add something that would terrorize it.

I want to put 3 Chromis in my tank. I would really be pushing the bio load but then again who among us doesn't :D

7 fish in a 20H, I guess I would have a reason to upgrade later on.

For sure ;) I want 3 of the blue reef chromis since they are Caribbean fish. That would leave me with 9 fish in my tank omgomgomg. 2 clowns, two rusty gobies, pink-streaked wrasse, and royal gramma. Not to mention I would like a mandarin someday long down the road after the tank is VERY established. Maybe 3-5 years from now.

Indecision 2012, reefer style. :unsure:

Yep :happy:

:lol: :lol:

Love both of the choices that you're considering, Gena. The way the Assessor orients itself to the rockwork, even upside-down, is pretty wild. Looks like a really chill and peaceful fish.

Hope you're having a great Labor Day weekend.

-Adam

Thanks, Adam!!!!! I love how today feels like a Saturday!!!!!!

So, I did a water change on Friday and stuck a new bag of chemipure elite into the tank. On Saturday I'm looking at my beautiful macros and it hits me....what the heck am I doing putting a bag of chemical filtration media in there????? My macros need the stuff that it's pulling out. So I yanked it out. I have nothing but rock for my filtration in this tank. Not even a filter sponge to collect detritus. Just a weekly water change and daily "heavy" feeding. I'm going to monitor the tank closely (like I don't already do that) to make sure this is a healthy routine for it.

This week I should be getting my order from Sealifeinc. and my dragons breath macro from ozzyvega. Looking forward to the shipments :happy:

Will do!!!!!! I think I'm going for the gramma. It will be the last fish I add though. I want my wrasse to be comfortably settled in before I add something that would terrorize it.

For sure ;) I want 3 of the blue reef chromis since they are Caribbean fish. That would leave me with 9 fish in my tank omgomgomg. 2 clowns, two rusty gobies, pink-streaked wrasse, and royal gramma. Not to mention I would like a mandarin someday long down the road after the tank is VERY established. Maybe 3-5 years from now.

Yep :happy:

Thanks, Adam!!!!! I love how today feels like a Saturday!!!!!!

So, I did a water change on Friday and stuck a new bag of chemipure elite into the tank. On Saturday I'm looking at my beautiful macros and it hits me....what the heck am I doing putting a bag of chemical filtration media in there????? My macros need the stuff that it's pulling out. So I yanked it out. I have nothing but rock for my filtration in this tank. Not even a filter sponge to collect detritus. Just a weekly water change and daily "heavy" feeding. I'm going to monitor the tank closely (like I don't already do that) to make sure this is a healthy routine for it.

This week I should be getting my order from Sealifeinc. and my dragons breath macro from ozzyvega. Looking forward to the shipments :happy:

Get some Fuel ;)

On Saturday I'm looking at my beautiful macros and it hits me....what the heck am I doing putting a bag of chemical filtration media in there????? My macros need the stuff that it's pulling out. So I yanked it out. I have nothing but rock for my filtration in this tank. Not even a filter sponge to collect detritus. Just a weekly water change and daily "heavy" feeding. I'm going to monitor the tank closely (like I don't already do that) to make sure this is a healthy routine for it.

Doing the same here, pretty much. I just run a little bit of carbon passively and a sliver of poly-filter which is more of a bubble trap for my tiny ineffective skimmer. But, it occurs to me that a sponge might not be a bad thing for a macro-heavy tank, because it should be a nitrate factory. Better to have detritus breakdown there than clog up pores in your live rock and/or get stuck in your macro. That's my theory anyway, but haven't really put it into practice (I don't think the poly counts because it only catches the effluent from my skimmer).

Food for thought, maybe. :)

Edit: I guess my skimmer would be the major difference but I feel like it's more aeration than anything. I only got it to help "soft cycle" my uncured LR but now it's just there. Inertia. Produces some very weak tea...

Get some Fuel ;)

+1, that stuff is liquid cocaine.

I'll look into it ;)

Doing the same here, pretty much. I just run a little bit of carbon passively and a sliver of poly-filter which is more of a bubble trap for my tiny ineffective skimmer. But, it occurs to me that a sponge might not be a bad thing for a macro-heavy tank, because it should be a nitrate factory. Better to have detritus breakdown there than clog up pores in your live rock and/or get stuck in your macro. That's my theory anyway, but haven't really put it into practice (I don't think the poly counts because it only catches the effluent from my skimmer).

Food for thought, maybe. :)

Edit: I guess my skimmer would be the major difference but I feel like it's more aeration than anything. I only got it to help "soft cycle" my uncured LR but now it's just there. Inertia. Produces some very weak tea...

Totally makes sense. Unfortunately I can't easily fit a sponge in that first compartment. It comes with a huge long filter sponge that fills the entire first chamber. I removed that and made my own media rack, but it doesn't fit snugly like an InTank media rack would. Wish he made one for the AquaEuro tank!!!!!! I could just put that big huge stock sponge in, but I wouldn't ever want to remove it because of all the pods that live in it. Not sure that would be a wise thing to never clean it out. But, with all the macros...they'd probably love that little nitrate factory. Definitely something to think about!!!!!

I can't wait to see your sea life order!

I'm waiting on my first paycheck XD

I plan on a pair of jawfish, a purple sea plume, some rics/zoas to replace the ones I lost and a red tube worm colony. OH and a blue reef chromis! I'm also considering a pair of rusty gobies but I wanna see yours first :)

I can't wait to see your sea life order!

I'm waiting on my first paycheck XD

I plan on a pair of jawfish, a purple sea plume, some rics/zoas to replace the ones I lost and a red tube worm colony. OH and a blue reef chromis! I'm also considering a pair of rusty gobies but I wanna see yours first :)

I know!!!! I'm anxious for it too.

Sounds like you have a nice list going!!!!! I'll post pictures of everything after they settle in :)

I miss a paycheck!!!!! :lol:

You know, I thought you had a JBJ. Never heard of AquaEuro until this moment. Learn something every day.. :)

Most people probably do since that's the most common 28g. I never heard of Aqua Euro until I found my tank, as well. It's a very well made tank. I actually think it's better than the Nano-Cubes and the Bio-cubes!!!! I stumbled upon it at a friend's garage sale :lol:

So........

I mentioned I have a little isopod friend in my tank. Last night I was spying on the tank (lights out) and I see a cute little critter with big black eyes lurking in the bushes (macro) near my clowns!!!!!! omgomgomg. The closest tool handy was my turkey baster so I thought I'd try sucking him out with it :lol:

As soon as the baster got near to him he darted out of the bushes like a bullet!!!!!! I was shocked!!!! He stopped up near the surface of the tank, on the glass. I ran for my fish net. Tried to grab him. And, he darted to the other side....where I successfully caught him :happydance:

I'm pretty certain he's the blood sucking variety. I said if I had the chance, I would annihilate him, regardless of his cuteness. I felt terribly, but I did the deed. Here he is before the smoosh:

isopod.jpg

Looks like photobucket isn't working right now....grrrrr. I'll have to use the site's attachment option in the meantime.

Sealife order shipped today. Got my notification this morning :happydance:

post-25164-1346771281_thumb.jpg

Most people probably do since that's the most common 28g. I never heard of Aqua Euro until I found my tank, as well. It's a very well made tank. I actually think it's better than the Nano-Cubes and the Bio-cubes!!!! I stumbled upon it at a friend's garage sale :lol:

So........

I mentioned I have a little isopod friend in my tank. Last night I was spying on the tank (lights out) and I see a cute little critter with big black eyes lurking in the bushes (macro) near my clowns!!!!!! omgomgomg. The closest tool handy was my turkey baster so I thought I'd try sucking him out with it :lol:

As soon as the baster got near to him he darted out of the bushes like a bullet!!!!!! I was shocked!!!! He stopped up near the surface of the tank, on the glass. I ran for my fish net. Tried to grab him. And, he darted to the other side....where I successfully caught him :happydance:

I'm pretty certain he's the blood sucking variety. I said if I had the chance, I would annihilate him, regardless of his cuteness. I felt terribly, but I did the deed. Here he is before the smoosh:

isopod.jpg

Looks like photobucket isn't working right now....grrrrr. I'll have to use the site's attachment option in the meantime.

Sealife order shipped today. Got my notification this morning :happydance:

What's he look like when he's crushed? lol

What's he look like when he's crushed? lol

The same, only flattened :(

They have a hard outer shell. I still feel horribly about it. I made sure it was an instant smash.

The same, only flattened :(

They have a hard outer shell. I still feel horribly about it. I made sure it was an instant smash.

Shouldve made him fish food after the crush ;-)

Archived