inTank Media Baskets

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

I got my rics from Morgan the reefgardener. Hers are attached to bits of rubble, for the most part. Rics can be very fussy. I've had best results with them in low flow areas. They also like company. Grouping them together keeps them happy and stops them from wandering....in my experience.

Peach ricordea (for Jaime)

090612no5.jpg

I have a bunch of Ulva popping up from the rock..pretty cool!!!!

090612no4.jpg

I want to get more Rics! Little worried since mine is being fussy though. Maybe I'll try scraping it off the disc & putting it on a bit of the rock with a friend :P

Love the Ulva! I really want that as a green macro for my tank. I can keep Red Grape & Dragon's Breath alive, but my chaeto has almost melted completely away :angry:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want to get more Rics! Little worried since mine is being fussy though. Maybe I'll try scraping it off the disc & putting it on a bit of the rock with a friend :P

Love the Ulva! I really want that as a green macro for my tank. I can keep Red Grape & Dragon's Breath alive, but my chaeto has almost melted completely away :angry:

You'll really make it mad if you scrape it off the disc :lol: Just get him a friend ;)

I really love Ulva too. It's such a pretty green and quite delicate looking. I see why the hermits and some fish love to eat it. So far it seems to be left alone in my tank. Though I did see a perfectly round hole in one of the leaves, so someone did take a bite out of it. Maybe they didn't like the taste of it.... I hope.

I lied....one more photo. I took this one today with my iPhone.

28gitch1.jpg

I was just on MedRed's page and noticed the demand for the pink-streaked wrasse, just wanted to let you know there is one on Divers den right now, if you like them. I always have to buy extra stuff to justify the shipping, ha ha.

I was just on MedRed's page and noticed the demand for the pink-streaked wrasse, just wanted to let you know there is one on Divers den right now, if you like them. I always have to buy extra stuff to justify the shipping, ha ha.

I saw that, thanks!!!!!! I've got it in my cart, but by the time I decide what else to add (I'm like you) it may be gone :lol:

Thanks, Ian!!! Yeah, it was completely my fault then. Those gorgs were packed expertly. They were wrapped in paper towel so no air was going to get to them. The bag was filled with water too. I probably exposed them to the air too long when I was getting them into my tank. My reef glue was incredibly slow coming out so I had to wait on that :lol: The feather gorg is the one I really wanted and it seems like the tissue recession is now stopping. It's not bad at all and the polyps are all out and happy. The other purple frag I made is completely fine too. So there was not a complete loss by any means.

All's well that ends well. :happy:

Had some luck figuring out my DSLR this evening. Those HS photo classes are starting to re-emerge from the depths I'll post a few shots shortly..

FTS looks awesome, as always.

You'll really make it mad if you scrape it off the disc :lol: Just get him a friend ;)

I may tempt fate & do it anyway :P Most of the LFS around here sell them attached to discs so they may not be able to touch. Thinking about getting another & putting them in a cup with some rubble...

Although it stinks you lost some of the specimen, I actually think the size that it is now looks perfect. Like you said when you got it, it was a little big for the tank right off the bat. Glad to hear that frags and the others are holding steady.

Really love the shots of "The Captain" and the gobies. You've made such great complimentary choices with the livestock and coral!!

-Adam

PSW for you!!! I hope you get it!!!

:happy: See explanation at the bottom ;)

All's well that ends well. :happy:

Had some luck figuring out my DSLR this evening. Those HS photo classes are starting to re-emerge from the depths I'll post a few shots shortly..

FTS looks awesome, as always.

Thanks, Ian!!!!! I'll be checking out your thread pronto to see those shots!!!!! :happy:

Beautiful photos gena! :) I need to get a few pink/purple/blue rics, im hoping like the mushy maybe my fish will host them :D

Thanks TG (hope you don't mind the abbreviation...it's faster ;)). Ricordeas are awesome mushrooms. If mine ever grow and split to out of control proportions, I'll send you a couple for free :)

I may tempt fate & do it anyway :P Most of the LFS around here sell them attached to discs so they may not be able to touch. Thinking about getting another & putting them in a cup with some rubble...

I've never done it...I'm sure it will be fine. Just try not to injure the foot too much.

Although it stinks you lost some of the specimen, I actually think the size that it is now looks perfect. Like you said when you got it, it was a little big for the tank right off the bat. Glad to hear that frags and the others are holding steady.

Really love the shots of "The Captain" and the gobies. You've made such great complimentary choices with the livestock and coral!!

-Adam

Thanks, Adam!!!! I think it was fate!!!! It was too huge for my tank. I'm sorry that I lost all but the one frag I made. But it's the perfect size now and that piece is holding steady. The feather gorg has definitely stopped it's recession. I'm going to leave the small pieces of skeleton for the flesh to regrow. It's still beautiful!!!!!

Ok....so speaking of complimentary choices with livestock. This is exactly why I talked myself out of the pink-streaked wrasse yesterday. I did not buy it. While it wasn't the initial goal for the tank, it's now my mission to stock with only Caribbean specimens. The wrasse is from Indonesia. So, I think my final fish selections will be two blue reef chromis and one royal gramma. I need to get another porcelain crab like the one I have, too. Apparently they live in pairs. Wish I would have read that before I purchased the one!!!!

jedimasterben
Ok....so speaking of complimentary choices with livestock. This is exactly why I talked myself out of the pink-streaked wrasse yesterday. I did not buy it. While it wasn't the initial goal for the tank, it's now my mission to stock with only Caribbean specimens. The wrasse is from Indonesia. So, I think my final fish selections will be two blue reef chromis and one royal gramma. I need to get another porcelain crab like the one I have, too. Apparently they live in pairs. Wish I would have read that before I purchased the one!!!!

Two chromis will become one pretty quickly. Three minimum, they require being kept in groups, pairs will fight and one or both will die because of it. Keep in groups, odd numbers, and feeding often is the only way to keep them long-term.

Also keep in mind that royal grammas are aggressive and may cause a lot of stress to the chromis.

Two chromis will become one pretty quickly. Three minimum, they require being kept in groups, pairs will fight and one or both will die because of it. Keep in groups, odd numbers, and feeding often is the only way to keep them long-term.

Also keep in mind that royal grammas are aggressive and may cause a lot of stress to the chromis.

Agreed on the Chromis. I think you need a large tank for a school. Even with 3 in a small tank it's likely they will drop off, smallest first.

I still can't second this aggression thing with true Royal Grammas.

Edit: I'm going to defer to a lot of other people that have had problems with Grammas and Chromis, and with things like Clown Gobies. I had mine with smaller gobies in an NC12, and with Firefish and Percs in a 20L, but other people report havoc and absolutely swear that they have true Grammas (not Brazillian or Psuedochromis). I think it would be fine with Gena's current fish but it's not a guarantee at all. Also the Sexies could easily be snacks.

Why not something like: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_di...&pcatid=188 (it's Carribean)

Another edit: Ooh, from SeaLife: http://sealifeinc.net/catalog/product_info...8f5fd09f074e478 (YHJF mated pair)

Wanted to see if you got the psw, I see what you did...cool. I'm going to be building a tank very similar. Completely Caribbean. I always have thoughts on what I'm going to go with as well. I can tell you from experience that all the basslets will likely eat your sexy's, so I might not be doing them if I go with sexys.

I like jawfish as well if there is a way you can set up a tunnel for them, if not a DSB is needed.

Personally I'm intrigued by masked gobies just because they are described as schooling gobies. So that must mean they hang in the water column with each other, which must look pretty cool.

Wanted to see if you got the psw, I see what you did...cool. I'm going to be building a tank very similar. Completely Caribbean. I always have thoughts on what I'm going to go with as well. I can tell you from experience that all the basslets will likely eat your sexy's, so I might not be doing them if I go with sexys.

I like jawfish as well if there is a way you can set up a tunnel for them, if not a DSB is needed.

Personally I'm intrigued by masked gobies just because they are described as schooling gobies. So that must mean they hang in the water column with each other, which must look pretty cool.

Ohhhh...can't wait to see your Caribbean biotope!!!!! Let me know when it's going!!!!! I wish I would have thought to do this from the beginning. But, better late than never :happy:

Thanks also Ben and Ian!!!!! You three have helped me tremendously in deciding which fish to add. You've all talked me out of the gramma for sure. I'm still on the fence with the blue reef chromis. Maybe just one then? I love the blue color. As a replacement I could do a mated pair of blue neon gobies. And I checked out the masked gobies. I like them too!!!!! Maybe I could do a trio of those. I just don't know if three different varieties of gobies would be ok for my tank. I love the looks of the jawfish, but don't want that for this tank. A small part of my decision to not get the wrasse was because I'd have to make a top for my tank. I'd have to make one for a jawfish as well. Lazy!!!!! :lol:

So at this point I'm leaning toward a pair of mated blue neon gobies and 3 masked gobies. How does that sound? Gonna go research to find out if all of those would get along.

Thanks again, guys!!!!!

The tank is looking really good :)

I would just get one chromis if it were me. It seems no matter what you do they seem to end up as 1 in the end so why not. I plan on having one for my 65. They are soooo nice looking

This isn't a perfect answer but this is straight from Kara at K +P (formerly Sea Life)

"The neon gobies and rusty gobies do get along just fine. We often find both

on the same rock or coral head living together in the wild." - Kara

So I'm guessing as long as there is room you can pack the gobies in, ha ha. I probably will be. Oh I did start a lnk to my tank but it is in progress, no water. The basic premise is to build a gorgonian forest. That is why I opted for a 54 column, which is 30 x 18 x 24. That 24 inches of height will hopefully do wonders in not having to trim the gorgs everyday haha. It is on the large side for Nano-reef, but hey MedRed won with a 60 so I figure 54 is a nano B)

The tank is looking really good :)

I would just get one chromis if it were me. It seems no matter what you do they seem to end up as 1 in the end so why not. I plan on having one for my 65. They are soooo nice looking

I was thinking just one as well, if I decide to add one. I could see how the blue neons look in my tank and then decide. They may be enough blue to suffice my needs ;)

This isn't a perfect answer but this is straight from Kara at K +P (formerly Sea Life)

"The neon gobies and rusty gobies do get along just fine. We often find both

on the same rock or coral head living together in the wild." - Kara

So I'm guessing as long as there is room you can pack the gobies in, ha ha. I probably will be. Oh I did start a lnk to my tank but it is in progress, no water. The basic premise is to build a gorgonian forest. That is why I opted for a 54 column, which is 30 x 18 x 24. That 24 inches of height will hopefully do wonders in not having to trim the gorgs everyday haha. It is on the large side for Nano-reef, but hey MedRed won with a 60 so I figure 54 is a nano B)

SWEET!!!!! I was gonna shoot Philipp an email asking him if they would all get along :) Do you know if the masked gobies would be ok too?

I SAW your new thread...omgomgomg It's going to be an epic tank!!!!! Can't wait to watch it grow. Can you tell I'm excited about your plans???? :lol:

Gena, FWIW I almost never see a single happy green chromis, but I have seen blues by themselves looking pretty content.

Neon pair sounds great. Would be nice ot have one open water swimmer too though...

Gena, FWIW I almost never see a single happy green chromis, but I have seen blues by themselves looking pretty content.

Neon pair sounds great. Would be nice ot have one open water swimmer too though...

Agreed...which is why I was considering the blue reef chromis. I haven't ruled out one BRC. The neons will give me the blue I'm after. And apparently the masked gobies will hover above the coral and rock. The rusty gobies are always upside down under the rocks. They dart out for food, but that's it as far as appearances. Which is ok too. My favorite thing is plopping down in front of an aquarium (mine and others) and being surprised by the intentionally hiding/lurking/shy critters. If the fish is always out, what's the fun of that???? :lol:

Absolutely gorgeous !!!!!

Thanks, Albert!!!! :happy:

Boo! Just figured I'd pop in and say hi. Your tank is looking gorgeous Gena! I didn't realize you were still posting updates on here or I would have been checking in more often. I can't believe how mature your new tank looks after such a short time. Oh and those gorgonians are looking absolutely stunning. You seriously have the magic touch with reef tanks :D

Deleted User 3
Thanks TG (hope you don't mind the abbreviation...it's faster ;)). Ricordeas are awesome mushrooms. If mine ever grow and split to out of control proportions, I'll send you a couple for free :)

Oh cool ! :)

Boo! Just figured I'd pop in and say hi. Your tank is looking gorgeous Gena! I didn't realize you were still posting updates on here or I would have been checking in more often. I can't believe how mature your new tank looks after such a short time. Oh and those gorgonians are looking absolutely stunning. You seriously have the magic touch with reef tanks :D

Hey!!!! You stopped in!!!!! Yay :happydance: Yep, I'm still here posting!!!!!! I think we all took a break around the same time, but I came back and you guys didn't :lol:

Thanks!!!! It does have a really mature look fast. I had so much to transfer to it and the macros really give it that look. Looking forward to hearing how the frag swap went. I haven't checked Facebook yet tonight to see if you mentioned it ;)

Oh cool ! :)

:happy:

The blue on the Neons is great :D As long as everyone has enough hidey holes I think most gobies will get along with minimal squabbles.

I've been watching videos of them on youtube. I'm definitely getting a pair of them!!!!!

So you've become a Carribean snob? :lol:

Now you need to vacation there and go diving!

:lol: Yep....I'm a Caribbean snob!!!!!! Well, not really...I'm letting the clowns stay and a few other non-Caribbean critters!!!

Heads up for animal/dog lovers. We just finished watching the movie Hachi: A Dog's Tale. OMG....tear jerker!!!!!! If you are looking for a good cry, watch this movie. Not a dry eye in my house tonight -_-

Archived