Cultivated Reef

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

I came home yesterday to my urchin wearing a clump of the pink galaxy!! I was so mad at him!

Yep...that would be pretty upsetting :lol: Though I'd rather him wear it than eat it :happy:

Looking great Gena! I love all the macros in this tank :)

Pink galaxy is awesome!

Thanks, Maria!!!!!!

I've been in photo taking mode lately. This is a combination of pictures with all lights and just actinics. The actinics were taken yesterday and the full lights are from today. I spent a small part of yesterday gluing things down in anticipation of my new porcelain crab from Sealifeinc. That order should arrive this coming week but I'm not sure if the hurricane is going to delay things or not. Hopefully all is well with them!!!!! Looking forward to that order. We've already decided to call our crab Mr. Bean in honor of one of our favorite comic actors :happy:

At any rate, here is a huge photo dump. I had fun taking these. Lately, at my house, you'll find me in front of this tank with either a camera or a magnifying glass :lol:

082612no12.jpg

082612no11.jpg

082612no10.jpg

082612no9.jpg

082612no8.jpg

082612no7.jpg

082612no6.jpg

082612no5.jpg

Just actinics FTS:

082612no4.jpg

082612no3.jpg

A good photo to show the difference between a male and female sexy shrimp, by markings. The male is on top:

082612no2.jpg

082612no1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What camera are you using, dahhling?

It's a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. That's what it says on the camera. I really need a nice macro lens for it. Right now I just have the stock lens and it's so-so. Course my camera skills stink too. Maybe a macro lens wouldn't make a bit of difference :lol:

nevermore1701
It's a Canon EOS Rebel T2i. That's what it says on the camera. I really need a nice macro lens for it. Right now I just have the stock lens and it's so-so. Course my camera skills stink too. Maybe a macro lens wouldn't make a bit of difference :lol:

The camera I've been using is a T1i, and the new macro lens makes a world of difference, even for me!

Deleted User 3
I came home yesterday to my urchin wearing a clump of the pink galaxy!! I was so mad at him!

:lol:

Oh if you'd see my mental image right now lol

Yep...that would be pretty upsetting :lol: Though I'd rather him wear it than eat it :happy:

Thanks, Maria!!!!!!

I've been in photo taking mode lately. This is a combination of pictures with all lights and just actinics. The actinics were taken yesterday and the full lights are from today. I spent a small part of yesterday gluing things down in anticipation of my new porcelain crab from Sealifeinc. That order should arrive this coming week but I'm not sure if the hurricane is going to delay things or not. Hopefully all is well with them!!!!! Looking forward to that order. We've already decided to call our crab Mr. Bean in honor of one of our favorite comic actors :happy:

At any rate, here is a huge photo dump. I had fun taking these. Lately, at my house, you'll find me in front of this tank with either a camera or a magnifying glass :lol:

082612no12.jpg

082612no11.jpg

082612no10.jpg

082612no9.jpg

082612no8.jpg

082612no7.jpg

082612no6.jpg

082612no5.jpg

Just actinics FTS:

082612no4.jpg

082612no3.jpg

A good photo to show the difference between a male and female sexy shrimp, by markings. The male is on top:

082612no2.jpg

082612no1.jpg

I love all your corals! It looks so full.. mine looks so boring. If you ever wanna give away some free frags, im your girl :P all mine have been free and i think it's kind of cool getting them for free w/ stories behind them. But yanno.. lol. Beautiful tank though gena! <3

Looselyhuman

082612no2.jpg

Ok, so, tell me if this is right: It's the last band on the body (before the tail segments), and in the male there's no little hairline split between the circle that's across the back and the circle down on either side by the legs...?

Really nice shots btw, Gena.

What beautiful pictures! New camera? How do you like it? Is it hard to figure out how to adjust the lighting settings?

OK, more pics please! ;)

Fantastic, Gena!! It looks like it's really start to hit its stride now.

There are so many cool little microcosms going on in your tank. Seems like you could sit there for an hour and just stare at one spot for 10-15 minutes. So many awesome nooks and crannies of goodness :)

-Adam

I don't know whatchu talkin about. You take great pictures, we are our own greatest critic. All of the shots you just posted are fantastic. :flower:

I use a T1i with the kit lens(18-55mm f3.5-f5.6), and for macro style shots I just take off the lens and hold it onto the body backwards. Its pretty hard to get a hang of at first because its crazy hard to focus but if you set it at 55mm, and manual focus its not too hard. (I just thought I should have someone take a picture of me taking pictures of the tank this way, it would be comical) You could also just buy a 52mm reverse ring for like $6 on amazon. The main problem with the kit lens is because of the slow speed at 55mm the pictures are no where near as sharp as I want them to be. I did just get the el-cheapo 50mm 1.8 prime lens for my birthday so I'm hoping I can take some sharper shots with that than I have been able to with my kit lens.

In comparison I can't take crap for pictures under my T5's. I shot about 30 exposures before I left for the weekend and I couldn't balance any of them for crap, they suck so bad that I resorted to taking pictures with my iPhone.

The camera I've been using is a T1i, and the new macro lens makes a world of difference, even for me!

That's encouraging to hear!!!!! I wish the macro lens we want wasn't so expensive!!!!!

:lol:

I love all your corals! It looks so full.. mine looks so boring. If you ever wanna give away some free frags, im your girl :P all mine have been free and i think it's kind of cool getting them for free w/ stories behind them. But yanno.. lol. Beautiful tank though gena! <3

Thanks, TuLIPgirl!!!! I love hearing about people getting free frags too. That's the best way if you ask me ;) If you want to pay shipping, I'm sure I could send some your way eventually!!!!!

Ok, so, tell me if this is right: It's the last band on the body (before the tail segments), and in the male there's no little hairline split between the circle that's across the back and the circle down on either side by the legs...?

Really nice shots btw, Gena.

Thanks!!! Yep...sounds like you are describing the difference correctly :happy:

What beautiful pictures! New camera? How do you like it? Is it hard to figure out how to adjust the lighting settings?

OK, more pics please! ;)

Nope...same camera. Maybe I'm getting better at it!!!! I don't do any adjusting. I set it on the little mountain icon and snap away. Seriously...no skills here with a camera :lol:

Fantastic, Gena!! It looks like it's really start to hit its stride now.

There are so many cool little microcosms going on in your tank. Seems like you could sit there for an hour and just stare at one spot for 10-15 minutes. So many awesome nooks and crannies of goodness :)

-Adam

Thanks!!!!! Yep....it's definitely hit it's stride now. The diatoms, cyano, etc. are going away and everything is so much more clear looking. I'm seeing new things everyday too!!!!! Sponges, macros, critters!!!! I saw a cute little baby crab the other day. Unfortunately it has pointy pinchers on it's claws. Eh....I'm letting it live. Until it kills something, it's ok to stay.

Your pictures are beautiful as always!

I could stare at this tank all day

Thanks!!!!! It's definitely taking a hit on my day. I have to force myself to step away and get things done!!!!!

I don't know whatchu talkin about. You take great pictures, we are our own greatest critic. All of the shots you just posted are fantastic. :flower:

I use a T1i with the kit lens(18-55mm f3.5-f5.6), and for macro style shots I just take off the lens and hold it onto the body backwards. Its pretty hard to get a hang of at first because its crazy hard to focus but if you set it at 55mm, and manual focus its not too hard. (I just thought I should have someone take a picture of me taking pictures of the tank this way, it would be comical) You could also just buy a 52mm reverse ring for like $6 on amazon. The main problem with the kit lens is because of the slow speed at 55mm the pictures are no where near as sharp as I want them to be. I did just get the el-cheapo 50mm 1.8 prime lens for my birthday so I'm hoping I can take some sharper shots with that than I have been able to with my kit lens.

In comparison I can't take crap for pictures under my T5's. I shot about 30 exposures before I left for the weekend and I couldn't balance any of them for crap, they suck so bad that I resorted to taking pictures with my iPhone.

Awww..thanks!!!! My biggest problem is holding the camera steady!!!! Not only is the lens lacking, but my movement makes it worse!!!!! I should use a tripod! For whatever reason, the color balance turns out perfectly for me when I take the photos!!!!! I can no longer get top down shots though...too much glare from the lights. That makes me sad too...I love top-down shots!!!! Thanks for the macro tips!!! Maybe the macro lens will be our Christmas gift to each other this year...since we both want it ;)

Anyone know where I can get a T1i or T2i for rather inexpensively? ;)

The internets? You should be able to pick up body only for about $350. A T3i really isn't that expensive.

jedimasterben
The internets? You should be able to pick up body only for about $350. A T3i really isn't that expensive.

Cheapest I'm finding for the T3i body for is $450-500.

Deleted User 3

Thanks, TuLIPgirl!!!! I love hearing about people getting free frags too. That's the best way if you ask me ;) If you want to pay shipping, I'm sure I could send some your way eventually!!!!!

Sure thing! :)

I agree! Awesome pictures!!!

Wow Gena the agaves are growing fast! ;)

I know!!!! It's awesome :)

Thanks for helping me discover I have three fembots. :huh:

You're welcome!!!!! Looks like you need to get them a male. I have 6 females and 2 males. The males are constantly bickering with each other. I have several females carrying eggs too :)

I have more photos for you guys (Mark :happy: ) I took a bunch but will only show 4 today so I don't overload you guys with pictures :lol:

082712no6.jpg

082712no3.jpg

Sunny D's growing a lot again:

082712no2.jpg

Green mushrooms are growing/splitting. They have a tendency to take over tanks. Should be interesting :lol:

082712no1.jpg

• Like 1
Looselyhuman
You're welcome!!!!! Looks like you need to get them a male. I have 6 females and 2 males. The males are constantly bickering with each other. I have several females carrying eggs too :)

Yeah I'm going to post in the SSS (shrimp seeking shrimp) section of Criagslist tomorrow. :) Or maybe go to my LFS... I'll just get one if 3:1 seems like a good ratio.

You're so making me want to invest in a camera. Not that my tank or pics would compete. :D

Archived