Cultivated Reef

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

Got home yesterday from our vacation to the Grand Canyon. It was our first time going there and it's AMAZING. Seriously...there are no words to describe it. It is a MUST see in your lifetime kinda place. We're planning to make it a regular vacation from now on. The drive is grueling though...around 8 hours, but it's worth it :)

Here I am at the Grand Canyon :)

grandcanyonme.jpg

We did a mule ride which was a blast. On the ride back we got caught in a severe thunderstorm. Hail and all. It was scary and awesome at the same time. There was nothing we could do but keep going. The mules did a fantastic job. Mine was named Marcie. She was a doll!!!!!

All the tanks survived my absence. This one is in the real ugly stages right now :lol: Full of the nasties...diatoms, hair algae, cyano. I need to reduce the light cycle on it. I will test the water today to see where I'm at in the cycle. I know it's getting close though :)

Received an order of blue agave palys and purple people eaters from Jon in Hawaii. UNBELIEVABLE...my best order yet!!!!!! Super healthy polyps and he was very generous. Absolutely the best seller on here :)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good to hear the tank is coming along. the Grand Canyon looks like a magical place. the mule ride sounds fun. saw a donkey show once it wasn't the same as your experience though. j/k! lol. wanna see those new corals once they're ready.

Welcome back! That is a great pic of you with the Grand Canyon behind you.

Glad to hear the new tank is coming a long.

Tank looks great gena!

Nice vacation pic! That is one of the places I most def want to visit. They say there is nothing like the Grand Canyon on a clear night when you can see all the stars :)

nevermore1701
Got home yesterday from our vacation to the Grand Canyon. It was our first time going there and it's AMAZING. Seriously...there are no words to describe it. It is a MUST see in your lifetime kinda place. We're planning to make it a regular vacation from now on. The drive is grueling though...around 8 hours, but it's worth it :)

Here I am at the Grand Canyon :)

grandcanyonme.jpg

We did a mule ride which was a blast. On the ride back we got caught in a severe thunderstorm. Hail and all. It was scary and awesome at the same time. There was nothing we could do but keep going. The mules did a fantastic job. Mine was named Marcie. She was a doll!!!!!

All the tanks survived my absence. This one is in the real ugly stages right now :lol: Full of the nasties...diatoms, hair algae, cyano. I need to reduce the light cycle on it. I will test the water today to see where I'm at in the cycle. I know it's getting close though :)

Received an order of blue agave palys and purple people eaters from Jon in Hawaii. UNBELIEVABLE...my best order yet!!!!!! Super healthy polyps and he was very generous. Absolutely the best seller on here :)

I didn't do the mule ride, but hiking the Grand Canyon is an absolute blast! I'm fortunate to live about 20 minutes from the 2nd largest canyon, Palo Duro, and it's a ton of fun too! We bring our horses out there almost every weekend.

good to hear the tank is coming along. the Grand Canyon looks like a magical place. the mule ride sounds fun. saw a donkey show once it wasn't the same as your experience though. j/k! lol. wanna see those new corals once they're ready.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

The mule ride was the best :lol: I wouldn't have expected that either. We want mules now :P First we need a lot of land though!!!!! Here's a picture of them right after they went into my tank. They still look the same today.

palys.jpg

Welcome back! That is a great pic of you with the Grand Canyon behind you.

Glad to hear the new tank is coming a long.

Thanks, Mark!!!!! We have soooo many photos. The Canyon seemed to change constantly. The colors were always changing from the light, clouds, etc. We saw some awesome bolts of lightening striking the rock several times. We weren't able to capture a photo of it though. Next time we want to go IN the canyon. It's a completely different experience.

Tank looks great gena!

Nice vacation pic! That is one of the places I most def want to visit. They say there is nothing like the Grand Canyon on a clear night when you can see all the stars :)

You have to go!!!!! We only had one clear night and I saw the stars. They have a star gazing hike as well, but we never got to that. Next time, I hope!

I didn't do the mule ride, but hiking the Grand Canyon is an absolute blast! I'm fortunate to live about 20 minutes from the 2nd largest canyon, Palo Duro, and it's a ton of fun too! We bring our horses out there almost every weekend.

You have horses? Someday I will have two or three mules ;)

That rock looks so cool! And sounds like you had a great trip too :)

Thanks, Paige!!!!! We did :)

I have some photos bu haven't gotten around to uploading them. I finally have a nice amount if nitrite in the tank. By my tests I'd say I'm smack in the middle of the cycle. yippee :)

I added a few macros to the tank yesterday to help in combating the undesirables. I have diatoms, cyano, and hair algae growing right now. I actually love all the colors :lol: Considering this tank will be mostly macros, the aforementioned stuff isn't bothering me in the least (yet ;)).

Here's a FTS from today 8-5-12:

ae28fts7-5-12.jpg

Can't wait to start moving the corals in with my Florida rock. I will be adding some rock flower anemones that I purchased off N-R to this tank, when it's ready. Those, the macros, PS Gorgs, soft corals, and LPS should make a nice display. Looking forward to it!!!!!!!!!

This is gonna be yet another awsome Gena tank!

Thanks, Mark :happy:

I just tested the tank and was so amazed I had to come on here to report my findings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The last day I tested was 2 days ago on 8-3-12. This is what the test was showing:

test8-3-12.jpg

The next day (Saturday) I added the macroalgae to the tank.

Today, just tested the tank and this is what it shows:

test8-5-12.jpgj

Way to go macroalgae omgomgomg

Getting sooooo close :)

Going to be beautiful just like your other tank.

You really need a larger tank for all your awesome macros. We will get you into a 40B sooner or later! ;)

surgicalsense

Aww I see that you have built up the scape some more, I like it.

Can't wait to see the tank fully stocked.

Soon, very soon!!!

:happydance:

Interesting.

I know...right???? I was SHOCKED.

MotherofGod.png

He's aliiiiiiiiiiiiiveeeeeeee!

If all we can get is a drive-by posting...I'll take it ;)

Going to be beautiful just like your other tank.

You really need a larger tank for all your awesome macros. We will get you into a 40B sooner or later! ;)

Thanks, Randi!!!! When I have a bigger house ;)

Aww I see that you have built up the scape some more, I like it.

Can't wait to see the tank fully stocked.

I actually haven't touched the scape. The macros I added make it look different :happy: Really, the only thing left to buy for this tank is my yellow fiji leather. I have a ton of corals to add already. Oh...acans...gotta get some acans ;)

:happydance:

I know...right???? I was SHOCKED.

If all we can get is a drive-by posting...I'll take it ;)

Thanks, Randi!!!! When I have a bigger house ;)

I actually haven't touched the scape. The macros I added make it look different :happy: Really, the only thing left to buy for this tank is my yellow fiji leather. I have a ton of corals to add already. Oh...acans...gotta get some acans ;)

If you would just move to Austin, TX, I'd set you up with the sweetest acan deal ever! I've got 4 right now, but I want to expand my collection. still have a few more colors I want to get - oranges, and yellows ;-)

If you would just move to Austin, TX, I'd set you up with the sweetest acan deal ever! I've got 4 right now, but I want to expand my collection. still have a few more colors I want to get - oranges, and yellows ;-)

FINALLY!!!!! My brother posts in my tank thread :) You know I'd move there in a heartbeat ;)

FINALLY!!!!! My brother posts in my tank thread :) You know I'd move there in a heartbeat ;)

Lol... yeah after lurking the boards for a year and a half without posting, and multiple requests by you to join in on the fun, I'm finally here! ;)

Lol... yeah after lurking the boards for a year and a half without posting, and multiple requests by you to join in on the fun, I'm finally here! ;)

Hey...we joined in the same month...only 4 years apart. Well, I actually lurked for years before I actually joined too ;)

Hey...we joined in the same month...only 4 years apart. Well, I actually lurked for years before I actually joined too ;)

4 years and 5,990 posts, Lol. I found my sisters addiction.

4 years and 5,990 posts, Lol. I found my sisters addiction.

Trust me...there are people here with greater addictions than mine :lol: Mine spans from 2007...that's not bad at all ;)

I'm not sure if I mentioned it on here or not, but I picked up the BRS RO/DI maker a few weeks ago. I know I told my N-R friends that are also on FB. It's sooooo incredibly convenient to not have to run out to buy water anymore!!!!!!!!! I'm making five gallons tonight and just snapped a photo of my setup. It's right above my laundry room sink and it makes me so happy :happy:

rodi.jpg

Archived