Cultivated Reef

The 28 Gallon Itch

gena

Excellent, I agree. The colors will probably just pop with the light.

Before I switched out the blue plus bulb, and had some coral (mushrooms) in there, the colors REALLY popped. BUT...the macros looked dull!!!!! There's nothing to fluoresce in algae so they looked drab. Since this tank will be focused mostly on algae as opposed to corals...I don't really need that POP from the lights. So, I think the 10K bulb is the right move for me. I'll still get some pop out of the corals, but the macros won't looks as drab.

Getting the right light combo is very interesting. I'll have fun playing around with the bulbs.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense
Before I switched out the blue plus bulb, and had some coral (mushrooms) in there, the colors REALLY popped. BUT...the macros looked dull!!!!! There's nothing to fluoresce in algae so they looked drab. Since this tank will be focused mostly on algae as opposed to corals...I don't really need that POP from the lights. So, I think the 10K bulb is the right move for me. I'll still get some pop out of the corals, but the macros won't looks as drab.

Getting the right light combo is very interesting. I'll have fun playing around with the bulbs.

Sweet and I will come around the later this month? If that works for you. You and the fam are leaving mid July for Az?

... and your sure, no xenia for you? :lol: mine just randomly split again and walked over some inches on the shelf :P

Sweet and I will come around the later this month? If that works for you. You and the fam are leaving mid July for Az?

... and your sure, no xenia for you? :lol: mine just randomly split again and walked over some inches on the shelf :P

It does! Definitely no xenia for me...thanks though :happy:

Hey Miss Gena! How's the new tank coming along?

Hi, Mark :happy:

Tank is chugging along. I had a VERY weak cycle so I threw a chunk of raw shrimp in there to give it more oomph :lol: The next day diatoms showed up from the initial cycle! Now, I'm in the middle of a new cycle from the shrimp. Just sitting here twiddling my thumbs waiting for it to complete -_-

It's fun to plan placement of coral and macro-algae though. I sit there and stare at my empty tank now and then :lol:

:happydance:

... you know that pom pom like macro you gave me. The hermits ate it :mellow:

:o

This is good to know!!!!! I won't be putting any hermits in this tank ;)

They are just big pains in the butts. I much prefer the nano stars for cleanup. That's what I've done in the 10g and it's worked out perfectly.

All the necessary supplies are in. Got my kalk powder from BRS yesterday. Now I just need to wait for this cycle to complete. Hopefully end of next week :happydance:

Now, more than ever, I'm anxious to get this tank going. I've discovered that my ricordeas have slowly been disappearing in the 10g tank. And....the culprit, I'm 99% sure, is the sexy shrimp. I've removed the remaining ricordeas from the bottom of the tank and placed them into a soapbasket. I could see where they had been eaten..they literally have bite marks out of them. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the tank...been so busy lately. I didn't even realize it was happening :(

So....gonna kick things into gear and get this tank ready for coral. The end of this week will mark 4 weeks since the tank was set up.

So....gonna kick things into gear and get this tank ready for coral. The end of this week will mark 4 weeks since the tank was set up.

that sounds funn

is your scape just one big rock? also something that i've been meaning to ask you but never have...who is that lady in your avy and stuff? just curious :wizard:

Hey, Squared! It's actually several pieces of rock that fit perfectly together to look like one giant rock :lol: I was very happy with the way it turned out and I'm the type that NEVER likes the scapes I make.

That lady is Marilyn Monroe ;) She's been my idol since I was a kid :happy: I remember thinking, way back then, that she died at a pretty old age (36) :lol: I'm 40 now, btw and I'm NOT old :lol:

jedimasterben
Now, more than ever, I'm anxious to get this tank going. I've discovered that my ricordeas have slowly been disappearing in the 10g tank. And....the culprit, I'm 99% sure, is the sexy shrimp. I've removed the remaining ricordeas from the bottom of the tank and placed them into a soapbasket. I could see where they had been eaten..they literally have bite marks out of them. I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the tank...been so busy lately. I didn't even realize it was happening :(

Although I've never seen it firsthand on ricordea, sexy shrimp will nom on some corals if they are not target fed or can't forage for enough food. They ate every single skirt from every single one of my zoas once. Then I began shooting mysis at them during feedings, and all the zoa skirts came back and I never had any issues again, but I've never seen them go near any ricordea.

Though, they may have been too full on zoa skirts to go have some ricordea dessert. ;)

surgicalsense
:o

This is good to know!!!!! I won't be putting any hermits in this tank ;)

They are just big pains in the butts. I much prefer the nano stars for cleanup. That's what I've done in the 10g and it's worked out perfectly.

All the necessary supplies are in. Got my kalk powder from BRS yesterday. Now I just need to wait for this cycle to complete. Hopefully end of next week :happydance:

Excellent and I left a message on fb :P

Hey Gena! I missed this thread :mellow:

When I had my aquapod up I used this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000RFTBC6/r...edir_mdp_mobile for the surface scum....worked great! Can't wait to see what you do with this tank ;)

I am also 40 and not old :P

We're 40 and Fabulous :lol:

I actually picked up one of those nc surface skimmers. Unfortunately it won't work!!!!! The suction pull isn't enough to hold it in place and even if I glue it into place it does absolutely nothing. The problem is that there are grates in the middle and bottom of the wall (as well as at the surface) to draw water into that first chamber. If they had just made it at the top the built in skimmer would work. The tank is so tall though I guess they figured you need to pull detritus from the middle and bottom of the tank as well. Not the case if you have a strong powerhead like an mp10 though...oh well. The pitfalls of an AIO.

Hopefully I'll be doing something with it by the end of the week!!!!! Thanks for dropping in :flower:

Although I've never seen it firsthand on ricordea, sexy shrimp will nom on some corals if they are not target fed or can't forage for enough food. They ate every single skirt from every single one of my zoas once. Then I began shooting mysis at them during feedings, and all the zoa skirts came back and I never had any issues again, but I've never seen them go near any ricordea.

Though, they may have been too full on zoa skirts to go have some ricordea dessert. ;)

They are voracious little buggers. They seem so sad that I've removed their little smorgasbord :lol: They probably took out at least 3 ricordeas. I didn't notice the problem until I saw what was left of one melting away. The others that were nibbled on are recovering, thank goodness.

Go go go, let me know if you ever figure out a way to make a lid. Mine's almost done cycling. :)

:D

I'll let you know for sure. I'm so nervous to add my fish to the tank. They are so comfortable where they are now. Oh well...hopefully with a cover they will be safe and secure in the new tank!!!!

Excellent and I left a message on fb :P

Got it!!!

surgicalsense

I have been over on your street in the last couple of weeks. Visiting my friend and getting those walks in :P I need to come by and visit. See your lovely tanks. The Danyello is out of hand again in my tank. Stuff grows fast in my tank.

I have been over on your street in the last couple of weeks. Visiting my friend and getting those walks in :P I need to come by and visit. See your lovely tanks. The Danyello is out of hand again in my tank. Stuff grows fast in my tank.

Have you? I haven't seen you. I looked for the house but still haven't figured out which one it is. You were walking on my street????

surgicalsense
Have you? I haven't seen you. I looked for the house but still haven't figured out which one it is. You were walking on my street????

She is north of you on the north side. Between Magnolia and Chandler.

surgicalsense
I wish I lived near you, or any good reefer for that matter. Maybe my tank wouldn't be such a fail :rolleyes:

Your tank is not a fail.

jedimasterben
Last 3 fish I've put in there have croaked within 4 days (2 firefish and a royal gramma).

At the same time, or separate? Same store, same shipment in to them? etc.

She is north of you on the north side. Between Magnolia and Chandler.

I thought that might be the case. Were you walking in my neighborhood though????

I wish I lived near you, or any good reefer for that matter. Maybe my tank wouldn't be such a fail :rolleyes:

Oh no you di'nt. Take that back mister!!!!! Your tank is NOT a fail...not even remotely :rolleyes: My family refers to me as the queen of eye rolls and I just threw some your way :lol:

Your tank is not a fail.

+1000000000000

Last 3 fish I've put in there have croaked within 4 days (2 firefish and a royal gramma).

It's the fish, not you.

At the same time, or separate? Same store, same shipment in to them? etc.

Good questions!

Same store, different times and shipments.

That store just isn't getting healthy fish in, if you ask me :)

Well...I did another water test. Still in the middle of a cycle although ammonia has come down slightly. It's between the first two colors now. Nitrite is higher at .25 and nitrate is holding at about 5. Come on cycle!!!!!!!!! I'll test again on Friday.

Archived