Cultivated Reef

Lion's Coral Den! Kessil, Rics, Zoas, Palys!

buddythelion

It's actually an ORA piece that SR ordered. It's too bad that Will closed down the business side of the place. Everything's gone but his display tank.

Really? Looked on the FB page and it doesn't say anything about him closing down. Also his website says nothing about closing for good or anything.

If he's really closing, man that sucks.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion
Really? Looked on the FB page and it doesn't say anything about him closing down. Also his website says nothing about closing for good or anything.

If he's really closing, man that sucks.

Yup. He sold his frag tanks and fish tanks. But he can still get things in for you. I heard he was giving lots of stuff for free actually. One of the locals in my area when I met up with him didn't know he was closing. I told him to swing on by to check it out. He sent me a text with 5 bags of goodies, all for $5. No typo. $5. And the $5 was for a fish. The others were free. Dang. It's cool, cuz I got two super freebies too earlier on Saturday. I think his plan is to focus more on getting corals that he wants and likes, and make his own tank a lot nicer. And then, he'll probably sell and frag those, or get into something else. Once you get back, hit him up and I'm sure there might still be something.

There's also a new LFS opening up too. I still have yet to check it out though.

Yup. He sold his frag tanks and fish tanks. But he can still get things in for you. I heard he was giving lots of stuff for free actually. One of the locals in my area when I met up with him didn't know he was closing. I told him to swing on by to check it out. He sent me a text with 5 bags of goodies, all for $5. No typo. $5. And the $5 was for a fish. The others were free. Dang. It's cool, cuz I got two super freebies too earlier on Saturday. I think his plan is to focus more on getting corals that he wants and likes, and make his own tank a lot nicer. And then, he'll probably sell and frag those, or get into something else. Once you get back, hit him up and I'm sure there might still be something.

There's also a new LFS opening up too. I still have yet to check it out though.

Yeah, I'll probably email him then next week. Hopefully he'll sell me stuff in like 2 months or so lol.

Where is the new LFS? I'd actually go up to SF to pick stuff up lol..

buddythelion
Yeah, I'll probably email him then next week. Hopefully he'll sell me stuff in like 2 months or so lol.

Where is the new LFS? I'd actually go up to SF to pick stuff up lol..

It's in SJ. Reef For Less.

wow how did a miss this amazing tank, it reminds me of my old old tank :( minus the great color and var of zoanthids.

Great job man ur tank is a inspiration.

care for a recent FTS? thx :)

buddythelion
wow how did a miss this amazing tank, it reminds me of my old old tank :( minus the great color and var of zoanthids.

Great job man ur tank is a inspiration.

care for a recent FTS? thx :)

Haha, thanks! I'll get a FTS eventually. The nem isn't fully opened yet so I'll wait a bit. The tank's also very crowded with frags on the sandbed and it makes me sad.

ANYWAYS GUYZZZ. LIKE COOOOOOL. The golden dwarf finally came out and is eating mysis! In this video you can see how tiny he is. The clowns and yasha gobies even eat in front him. No fear since he's so small.

Golden Dwarf Eel Eating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsC45No-WPk...feature=related

buddythelion
lolol wish I had a dwarf eel... ahah now you need a new tank to go with that :D.

Lol, go get one. I'm sure it would love your goby and sexies. Om nom nom. Start a golden eel club.

And I said two awesome things came in yesterday. One was the eel. 2nd was more zoas! Since he's not a vendor here, I'll do my feedback up on my own thread rather than publish it pubicly so I can point people to here to recommend him.

Travis has been a great guy to deal with from day 1. Being a zoa lover, I was immediately drawn to the vast variety of zoas that he offered. So I hit him up with his Blue Buddha promotion and snagged that 4 polyp for 1 polyp price. After that he's been great communicating with, helping me choose some zoas and other things. I feel like I owe him a well done feedback page at least.

So here's the box. I only decided to take a picture of it after I already opened it... lol.

20120530_164300.jpg

But you can already see great packaging. No room for movement, and for some reason the paper towel smelled of mint, a nice refreshing touch.

Each zoa is packed like so. There's no air keeping your frags completely submersed at all times and each has their own personal label with the zoa's name, light, flow, and difficulty to give you an idea on how to approach acclimating it to your tank. It's the first I've ever seen, and a very nice personal touch.

20120530_164335.jpg

Each zoa is on one of those cone frags, and to protect it he drilled holes in those medicine measuring cups. Super glued on, and ready to protect.

20120530_164440.jpg

Here are my goodies. I order one fire speckled and get 4... LOL. Idk if it's just because I was an early customer, he was in a good mood, or maybe he doesn't know how to count (jkjk), but I was surely surprised and happy to see it. He also gave me freebies because I'm just so awesome.

IMG_7980-1.jpg

Great sized Darth Maul chalice, flesh already covering up the fragged area. I asked for one eye and he tells me he just cut a 3 eye piece and would give it to me for the price of one. A definitely sweet deal. My new favorite chalice in the tank.

IMG_7981.jpg

Group shot:

IMG_7982.jpg

But there were some downsides on this order.

My biggest disappointment was the PPRPE paly. It's supposed to have a distinct blue ring like advertised and eventually look like this:

PPRPE-1.jpg

pprpe.jpg

The first photo is one I found on photobucket, and the album is actual from his own photobucket account. But it looks exactly like a regular PPE, but 2-3x the price. What makes me even more sad was that he chose, cut, and then let it sit there for 2 weeks, knowing very well that it didn't look like his stock photo.

The Blue buddhas are also supposed to have a wicked amount of blue.

It was WYSIWYG, my frag is on the right:

bluebuddhapair.jpg

But as you guys can see, the blue is hardly noticeable. I've already contacted Travis about my experience, good and bad, and we'll see what happens. I don't expect any compensation though since he gave me so many freebies.

In the end, great customer service, lots of extras, and the freebie made up for the bad sides of this order. I'd still recommend and buy from Travis for my zoa craze.

buddythelion

I took some pics of my Blondies as I was thinking of selling them. But I started off with only one frag and they've taken forever to grow so I'm really attached to them. I'm going to keep them. Jk, it's selling time. Just paid off the card...

IMG_7986.jpg

And here are my Nightmares from WrongGenotype. They've definitely grown some since I've gotten them from him. Always a great guy to get zoas from confidently. Glad to have a someone as cool as him locally to trade and talk about the hobby with. B)

IMG_7991.jpg

buddythelion
Sweet stuff.

Thanks man. I'm going to be on the downlow for buying stuff now. Only selling and trades. So that means, you need to post up some more eyecandy for me to see. :P

Deleted User 4
Thanks man. I'm going to be on the downlow for buying stuff now. Only selling and trades. So that means, you need to post up some more eyecandy for me to see. :P

lolol I'm slowing it down now too....enjoying my view of my tank with this song...

buddythelion
lolol I'm slowing it down now too....enjoying my view of my tank with this song...

Haha, nice song. Here's my favorite at the moment:

Deleted User 4
Nice adds again dude. Lucky you got a great deal on the chalice lol.

really now??? really??? you so cray.

buddythelion
haha Cool.

Cool indeed. :)

Nice adds again dude. Lucky you got a great deal on the chalice lol.

Thanks man. I did get a great deal on the darth maul chalice. I'll hook you up on some zoas and pallies when you're tank is up and ready. B)

really now??? really??? you so cray.

Yeah... what do you mean? I got 3 eyes for the price of one. It was a great price.

Thanks man. I did get a great deal on the darth maul chalice. I'll hook you up on some zoas and pallies when you're tank is up and ready. B)

I'll hide them towards the back so it won't be seen so I'll still technically have a "sticks only" tank.

Also, I think ben was talking about my new sig?

buddythelion
I'll hide them towards the back so it won't be seen so I'll still technically have a "sticks only" tank.

Lol... you better not. Or no hook ups for you.

buddythelion
It's a joke

:lol: Don't worry. With all that sweeet equipment I'll be sure to put something aside that's nice to get you going.

:lol: Don't worry. With all that sweeet equipment I'll be sure to put something aside that's nice to get you going.

Thanks dude! I appreciate it.

Oh man your tank is stocked! Looks totally awesome! Your eel will love all the nooks and crannies it has there lol.

What kind of algae is that in your original post?

Archived