ReefCleaners.org

Lion's Coral Den! Kessil, Rics, Zoas, Palys!

buddythelion

buddythelion
Oh man your tank is stocked! Looks totally awesome! Your eel will love all the nooks and crannies it has there lol.

What kind of algae is that in your original post?

Thanks eksblenny,

She's so small she fits in the smallest of nooks and crannies. I'm glad she's eating already. Having a hard time naming her. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks my tank is stocked. I'm upgrading to a 28 soon to make room. I literally have no where else to put frags other than the sandbed.

The algae is a form of flame algae from Will at Sustainable Reefs. It was a gift from him. He tells me that it was a hitchhiker algae that he had and grew since the 80's. I'm hoping to do it justice like the one in his tank and grow a nice algae bed.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buddythelion

Just picked this up today:

1.jpg

Look at the egg crates in the background. Gives you a good idea at how big this behemoth of a yuma is.

On another note, picked up the JBJ 28 today. It's HUGE compared to my 12 gallon! I like it a lot, it's going to stay as my main tank for a definitely long time. Fits perfectly where I want it. Now, any recommendation on some black sand that's not magnetic? :)

Deleted User 4

lolol damnnn,...I love that yuma. It looks soo unusual to other orange/gray yumas because it has pink streaks towards to the middle.

buddythelion

Been reading more and more and finding that the majority of black sand is magnetic... *sigh* I would have liked to avoid magnetic sand since it was inconvenient to have to use a toothbrush to clean the glass rather than use a magnet. Guess I might go white sand... reluctant though since I really like my black sand.

buddythelion
Get the hawaiii black sand, heard they're not magnetic. Dr.Smith

Reading a lot of threads on here and various website, and the review of the product on Dr Smith's site, it says it's magnetic. After reading a lot of threads, everyone seems to be thrilled about Tropic Eden Reefflakes, so that's what I'm going to use. Sha-weeet! Now... to find live rock.

buddythelion
mmm Live rock you say? Why not dry rock? :D

Haha, same same. I might just wait for local deals since I'm in no hurry. That way I can choose my own pieces.

Deleted User 4
Haha, same same. I might just wait for local deals since I'm in no hurry. That way I can choose my own pieces.

True. I wish lfs would carry dry rocks so that people like us can actually pick out the styles we want....

buddythelion
True. I wish lfs would carry dry rocks so that people like us can actually pick out the styles we want....

It's not a bad idea. My LFS has rock, but so damn expensive.

Deleted User 4
It's not a bad idea. My LFS has rock, but so damn expensive.

Dry ones?? How much is it? When I started reef hobby like 3 yrs ago, I started with live rock...nothing went wrong but then got sick of them ahaha. Tried dry rocks like last yr and my gawd, love the crevices and shapes of the dry rocks.

buddythelion
Dry ones?? How much is it? When I started reef hobby like 3 yrs ago, I started with live rock...nothing went wrong but then got sick of them ahaha. Tried dry rocks like last yr and my gawd, love the crevices and shapes of the dry rocks.

Not dry rock, one of those eco-rocks. The ones painted purple. Is dry rock cool? How do you clean it etc?

Deleted User 4
Not dry rock, one of those eco-rocks. The ones painted purple. Is dry rock cool? How do you clean it etc?

I just leave it resting in a plastic box of tap water. I would rinse once in a while after rinsing and washing it couple times when I have first received it. There's other ways to do it too.

Depends on the dry rock really. I heard you have to soak BRS reef saver in vinegar water sol'n because it leaches phosphates. IDK about Marco Rocks.

buddythelion

Hmm. I'm trying to make it as cycle free as possible. The only new thing would be the sand. I'll probably just place the sand in, fill the tank up with the water from water changes and some new water as well and add established live rock to start things off.

Deleted User 4
Depends on the dry rock really. I heard you have to soak BRS reef saver in vinegar water sol'n because it leaches phosphates. IDK about Marco Rocks.

Ahh, I see. I got mine from reefsavers....but I suggest you don't get it from them. I received and ordered 15lbs which came in 7 pieces and only 2 of the pieces I actually liked...this is why you see only 2 islands in my current setup now ahah. It grew purple at 1st then it started attracting phosphates ehh. Then I would flip it over, and sink it into the sand for couple weeks and the cyano phosphate slim algae were gone ha.

Hmm. I'm trying to make it as cycle free as possible. The only new thing would be the sand. I'll probably just place the sand in, fill the tank up with the water from water changes and some new water as well and add established live rock to start things off.

I see. Hope you don't get pests from the live rocks you get ahah. It happens.

buddythelion
Ahh, I see. I got mine from reefsavers....but I suggest you don't get it from them. I received and ordered 15lbs which came in 7 pieces and only 2 of the pieces I actually liked...this is why you see only 2 islands in my current setup now ahah. It grew purple at 1st then it started attracting phosphates ehh. Then I would flip it over, and sink it into the sand for couple weeks and the cyano phosphate slim algae were gone ha.

I see. Hope you don't get pests from the live rocks you get ahah. It happens.

It's going to be live rock from my own tank and perhaps from local reefers with tanks that used to have corals as well.

Deleted User 4

I kinda feel like getting this one Picasso 44....but shipping is quite a bit. I think I'll wait until it's on sale. Damn, I don't know why but my yellow clown goby is not looking too well...it has yellow bumps all over its body... So I might wait and add a different fish to see if it's just the fish or my tank...that's causing it.

buddythelion
I kinda feel like getting this one Picasso 44....but shipping is quite a bit. I think I'll wait until it's on sale. Damn, I don't know why but my yellow clown goby is not looking too well...it has yellow bumps all over its body... So I might wait and add a different fish to see if it's just the fish or my tank...that's causing it.

$127 is an amazing price for a picasso like that. I was actually looking at that one... LOL.

I liked this the most though: http://alphacorals.com/store/index.php/clo...premium-33.html

And I wouldn't bet on the sales. Some of the clowns have been on the site for 6 months, and no sale.

Deleted User 4

Yeah, that one I saw already and like it since it's nice when premature but it's sold aha.

Mmmm I think I might get it, going to talk to kris for a cheaper price ahah.

I saw that some of his clowns went on sale for $77 so it gave me hope in a way ahah.

buddythelion
Yeah, that one I saw already and like it since it's nice when premature but it's sold aha.

Mmmm I think I might get it, going to talk to kris for a cheaper price ahah.

I saw that some of his clowns went on sale for $77 so it gave me hope in a way ahah.

Yeah, either those been there for almost forever or they had some deformity, but I'm sure he'll hit you up with something!

Congrats on the new tank! I'm upgrading my 12g to a 28g too :happy:

When I started up my 10g macro tank I used the painted purple rock "real reef rock". I dosed microbacter 7 along with it for a few days and never saw a cycle. It's a fully functioning macro reef now with fish and all.

I'm cycling my new 28g tank the same way. Seems the way to go. I've tried all methods and this has been the most successful and fastest for me.

Archived