Cultivated Reef

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

• 2 weeks later...
hypostatic

I've seen those red tree sponges but always have been hesitant about getting them because it can be iffy. I'll be watching to see how yours does because I have wanted one and KPAs prices are always so good.

I think an important feature for keeping sponges is having high nutrients in your tank. Usually you'll see them at the start of the life of a tank (when nutrients are high), and then later they'll disappear as nutrients drop and level out.

Sponges are really good filter feeders and water pumps. Check out this video

So in a tank, they soak up nutrients/food like.... well, a sponge

• Like 2
FlowerMama

I saw on VIPreef a week ago they had beautiful blue low sponges, not those finger sponges I tried once and they failed because it was winter and the company I used didn't give enough heat and the water was blue and the fingers were brown. I might ask about those blue sponges next time I see them. My 34 is 8 mos in already & that might be a place but I don't have enough shade for them I don't think, unless I changed up the scape once the rock flowers were moved.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really busy lately and haven't posted on here in a while, so i thought I'd share a cool non-reef photography picture I've taken recently:

bEN0riY.jpg

No fish or corals, but it still counts as nano

• Like 5

Everything is cells in the pic :)

The blue are cell nuclei, and the green/red is the surrounding cell bodies. Red cells are dead, and green cells are alive.

The blue are cell nuclei, and the green/red is the surrounding cell bodies. Red cells are dead, and green cells are alive.

So that's a really cool shot. Wish they had cool pics like that back when I was in biology in high school.

Duh, I see it now! Funny how I couldn't before, but then as soon as you said it, it snapped into mental focus. So, they look like some type of epithelial cell since they are forming sheets. What markers are you using?

So I just moved the tank to my new place. I don't know where my real camera is at, so here's a camera phone pic of it's current status:

sNF5deT.jpg

I switched of the old sand with some really fancy black sand. Looks pretty slick I think

Aaaaaaand here's a top-down pic of the RFAs!

4wgNRuv.jpg

• Like 9

So I just moved the tank to my new place. I don't know where my real camera is at, so here's a camera phone pic of it's current status:

sNF5deT.jpg

I switched of the old sand with some really fancy black sand. Looks pretty slick I think

Aaaaaaand here's a top-down pic of the RFAs!

4wgNRuv.jpg

:o:wub:

That looks amazing!!!! I predict this tank will be featured someday soon :wub:.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

yeah, i think the clowns knocked it down, and one of them decided to try to eat it with their feet lol

The older rock flowers are trying to get the new guy to eat it. "this is how you do it, right guys? guys??" lol

• Like 2

beautiful, what's that yellow coral in the left mid? sun coral?

Yupp, it used to be in the upper left portion of the tank, but it took it down for the move and haven't glued it back yet. You can still see the glue there haha

I like the shelf you have there w/ the zoas on the edge and the cool underneath it makes. The rfas certainly look happy.

The shelf is the easiest and most worrisome thing to move. There's a ton of zoas growing on them, so it would need it's own tank to be "properly" transported. I just toss it in a big container and cover the zoas with a wet paper towel; I heard that's how they're imported.

Tank looks awesome, like it wasn't even moved. I need more flowers... :closedeyes:

That zoa on the right is growing MUCH faster than all the other ones. I guess it's catching more bristleworms. It sure shoves it's weight around the other RFAs!

• Like 2