Coral Vue Hydros

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

This is a no-brainer for the underwater flower garden :happy:.

Sure look pretty!!!!!

Yep, I think I'll get a red/orange one. I feel like there's enough green in my tank currently lol

• Like 1

Yep, I think I'll get a red/orange one. I feel like there's enough green in my tank currently lol

I've been on the lookout for a nice red and white one. :) I've never met an ugly RFA and want every color LoL.
  • Like 2

I've been on the lookout for a nice red and white one. :) I've never met an ugly RFA and want every color LoL.

Oh yes, the ones that are colored and have the white tentacles are my favorite

Tank is looking really good! That goni :wub:

Thanks! hopefully it keeps growing at the same rate and gets huge soon haha

• Like 1

Maybe we can finally trade.

All things in good time ;) . This thing has proven to be quite finicky, so I want any pieces that I trade to have a good number of stems, so that it can come back in case most of the stems decide to die off for whatever reason.

So, WTF

My two gonis like two different salinities. Which basically makes it impossible to keep them both happy at the same time.

How did I find out, you ask?

Well, I'm sure I've mentioned that when it comes to upkeep and maintenance, I can be kinda.... lax. My red/green goni was looking kinda weird and not opening as much, which is pretty much the sign I use to decide that my tank needs a good water change.

So I mix up my water and salt, and bring up the SG to 1.023 (to bring the SG down from evaporation in my tank). I dump it in the tank, bringing the SG down to around 1.024, and everything is looking happy -- even the pink/blue goni that is usually moody. The red/green goni however, isn't opening at all. I give it another day to acclimate, but still, it's not opening. The pink/blue goni however, is looking beautiful (along with everything else).

So, I decide to do another water change, and I bring my tank up to a SG of about 1.028. And what do you know, the red/green goni starts opening up and looking happy. The pink/blue however, not so much. And this is when I realize that I've never seen them both really happy at the same time, and that they must like different salinities. And on a similar note, maybe this is why people don't have success with them often -- they like SGs that are higher or lower than what most people use?

Anyway, anyone know what to do about this problem? lol

So one of my graceful anemones is getting pretty big. I think it's about 1.5 to 2 inches big right now. Wonder if it'll split soon? Maybe the other times it's split was due do stress. Come to think of it, the splits DID happen around when the tank was moved

So I think I've finally saw my red/green goni eating. On a whim, I tried Hikari Marine S Pellets and sprinkled it above the goni. To my amazement, the pellets actually stuck to the tentacles, and the polyps brought them to their oral disk (whether or not they were ingested is another story). Not a HUGE breakthrough, but definitely a step in better understanding its diet.

I think the goniopowder might be too fine of a powder for this goni. I also think the Hikari S might be too big haha. I think maybe the fauna marin zoa/ric food might be the best size

Yup. 2nd tank. :flower:

Haha, does anybody actually keep separate tanks with different salinities?

Ok, I think y'all are deserving of some pictures!

The graceful anemone! Next to a 1.5" plug for reference, with some WOW zoas nearby. While I think the anemone is getting bigger, I don't think its tentacles are also getting bigger. I feel like every time i look at it there are more tentacles.

33bibfl.jpg

The photography skills did not shine through on this one. But anyway, here's a pic of the red/green goni attempting to eat some pellets.

28vqh3c.jpg

Soon to be a 4 way coral war. The watermelon zoas are caught in the middle. They're easily overtaken by the green zoas to their left. Some jasmine polyps are creeping up on the right. And the elegance coral beneath stretches upwards every day a bit more.

50jyft.jpg

250umnn.jpg

Ok, something is deffinitely munching on the star grass. Look at those chomp marks! I think it's the clowns. Will they chomp on macros?

2zy8wgw.jpg

Oh and some new additions. I think they're bam bams and lunar eclipse. I think it's too bright for the lunar eclipse though.

14bt6w1.jpg

• Like 1

A few thoughts...

Those Eagle eyes are TOAST. Fighting a battle on three fronts! SMH :happy:

My money is on the clowns...do you have anything else that can bite something that high in the water column, unsupported?

Don't think those last ones are Lunar Eclipses...unless the faces are VERY bleached out. Mine have a very deep purple center, and brighter orange skirts.

As always, love looking at your tank and reading your commentary.

• Like 1

My money is on the clowns...do you have anything else that can bite something that high in the water column, unsupported?

Nah, they're the only fish in there. buggers. don't they know what I've gone through to keep that thing alive? lol

Don't think those last ones are Lunar Eclipses...unless the faces are VERY bleached out. Mine have a very deep purple center, and brighter orange skirts.

Eh, they probably aren't. I don't really buy any "name" zoas, I just go to the store and buy what looks nice and is cheap haha. And yeah, I guess they're bleached; I'll put them under the overhang to see if the like it better there. I think they looked more like this originally:

F%20J1017%2049%20Solar%20Flare%20Zoanthi

So sun corals like really high flow it turns out.

So I have a powerhead aimed straight at an anemone which I want to move, and I placed my sun coral colony nearby (the star grass was starting to grow in it's personal space). I don't think I've ever seen the polyps extend so much, or the tentacles so long.

• Like 1

Added December's FTS to the first post. It's nice to see the changes side by side. Here they are for convenience:

FTS (7/9/13)

2pq6yis.jpg

FTS 12/30/13

345if5f.jpg

That elegance has definitely stretched out. I think it's doubled in size! And who says indio elegances are no good? :P

It started out with 3 mouths, but I'm pretty sure a fourth one has popped up by now. Must be growing fat from having eaten all my starfish :angry:

Even the clowns look a little bigger?

New polyps sometimes pop up in the pipe organ skeleton. But older, healthy looking polyps will still disappear overnight for some reason. Something must still be eating it... I think I have 2 nice big polyps left. I'm considering just cutting them out of the skeleton and throwing away the rest of the dead colony. Hopefully the pest goes with it...

Other news? Hmmm...

I think I'm gonna move the sun colony to the top-left rock formation. I think it'll look nicer there (and also be happier).

I'll post a picture of the star grass soon for all you star-grass-lovers out there :P

• Like 3