Pod Your Reef

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

• 2 weeks later...

2uoi44w.jpg

I have two zoas on this frag that have a green center instead of blue. I'm hoping that they keep propagating that way, and if they do I'm gonna call this strain "mutant watermelons" :D

• Like 1

I just love your tank! Very cool aquascape. How come I didn't find your thread b4?! The goniogarden deserves a full applause :) Especially the red gonio is generating a lot of jealousy. Do you know what species it is? I will be a frequent visitor, so keep up posting tons of beautiful photos! Good luck with the gonioporas fingerscrossed

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

2uoi44w.jpg

I have two zoas on this frag that have a green center instead of blue. I'm hoping that they keep propagating that way, and if they do I'm gonna call this strain "mutant watermelons" :D

Was is closed for a long period of time? They tend to do that under those circumstances. It goes back to blue after a while. At least that's what I've experienced.
  • Like 1

I just love your tank! Very cool aquascape. How come I didn't find your thread b4?! The goniogarden deserves a full applause :) Especially the red gonio is generating a lot of jealousy. Do you know what species it is? I will be a frequent visitor, so keep up posting tons of beautiful photos! Good luck with the gonioporas fingerscrossed

Thanks for the kind words! I have no idea what the species is though. The LFS that I got it from said they were Goniopora planulata, but if you google that species you don't get gonis that look similar.

Was is closed for a long period of time? They tend to do that under those circumstances. It goes back to blue after a while. At least that's what I've experienced.

Hmmm they might have been. I think when that happened, only the zoa on the right (which is closed in the picture) existed, and when the zoa on the left popped up it was also (more) green. There is another zoa budding from that one, so we'll see.

In other news:

I finally got my hands wet and cleaned the glass. Y'all get a FTS soon for being so patient ;)

The star grass is still alive and kicking. You'll all get to see the status in the FTS.

I'm on a spending hiatus, but I was in town so I decided to hit up manhattan aquariums. Let me tell you. My will was tested to the core. I must have looked like a heroin addict looking for a fix. Sigh, and they had some stuff that I've been looking to get, like some nice rock flower anemones. SIGGHHHH. But I walked out without buying anything, so I count that as a personal victory.

Also, they had this reef gen red daisy goniopora:

stutchburyi-1.jpg

Super nice red with some intense yellow centers! I nearly missed it though, cuz man was it TINY. I think the frag in the above picture must be about the size of a quarter haha.

• Like 1

I was curious to find the name of your first red gonio and I got a hint: Goniopora burgosi

I'm not an expert but some look like the species you have.

Walking without buying from a shop full of gorgeous corals - d@mn - you have a strong will :P Congrats, hahahaha! I need to practise that too B)

Absolutely love your tank. Waiting impatiently for the FTS!

• Like 1

How is your pipe organ coral doing?

Eh, It's waxing and waning. There were three spots where there were a couple adult polyps with some babies. I think one was poorly anchored to the rest of the skeleton and fell off. Another, the adult polyps DISAPPEARED for some reason, and there's just the baby polyps. The last spot seems pretty good; it's got two adult polyps and i think about 3 baby polyps. I'll post a pic up with the FTS.

Oh, and a slight edit on my previous update on my "personal victory" on sticking to my spending hiatus. While I was victorious at the LFS, I DID give into my personal demons and got some frags from Dr Mac. But it's not my fault!! They were on clearance! HOW COULD I NOTTTTTT

• Like 1

LOL. I'd hate to get ANOTHER pipe organ and have the polyps start mysteriously disappearing on me again. I definitely lost some hair during that incident.

ok, i'm holding off on the official fts. The red goni has been pissed off for the last few days. I think it's from a combination of things like messing up the water chemistry and not feeding the tank enough. Here's the poor guy :(

2zqbf9u.jpg

And some more shots. Whats left of the pipe organ

2uop0xt.jpg

How the star grass is doing:

j6ljix.jpg

And some new additions

ofzdz6.jpg

10cvgpj.jpg

And here's a dart frog pic because why not

n1qt5c.jpg

• Like 2

Red goni is a little happier today:

bf3x4z.jpg

Salinity: 1.028

I put a squirt or two of my liquid orchid fertilizer. I'm cautious about that though, because I know it has copper in it. I have a suspicion that I've been running GFO for too long and my tank is TOO clean. I mean, all the algae is gone lol. Also, the star grass is growing slower and shorter than is was a couple months back when I still had algae, so I think this is also an indication that nutrients have gotten too low.

ALSO, there seems to be a frickin HOLE in the coral?! you can kinda see it in this pic in the lower right, but better in the previous pic. Maybe a clown decided to taste it, or a hermit injured it with it's claws?

• Like 1

FTS TIME!!

Last time, on hypo's tank (12/2013)

345if5f.jpg

On this episode (03/22/2013)

goGuVOu.jpg

Also notice the improved camera skills, wherin the sand isn't GLOWING

Left closeup

uUV95kD.jpg

Middle closeup

hDIhFfb.jpg

Right closeup

WwDOMO8.jpg

And some macro shots

King's Ransom

vYQZYQn.jpg

baby star grass

zB7XNAr.jpg

Such grace, much anemone

ptCHvO6.jpg

thesmallerthebetter's white sun coral (I'd name them white dwarf suns :lol: )

AjEz3VK.jpg

peppermint butler

ILCeQzU.jpg

Branching dendros

HbymW2T.jpg

See all the babies?

n5oFBfT.jpg

WELL LET ME POINT THEM OUT TO YOU

ieGS9n5.jpg

I removed it for the FTS, but here's an improvised QT I made for my extra graceful anemones

2VaGhn5.jpg

And here is a near-future rearrangement plan:

PFf2FJc.jpg

eo.jpg

The elegance is starting to sting the zoas above it, soooo it needs a better spot. There's more room where it shouldn't sting much to the left so I think I'm gonna exchange it with the xenia. I've been wanting a rock flower anemone for a while now, and I think I'd want it where the GSP is. SO, I'd move it up on the zoa shelf, around where the pipe organ skeleton is. I'd also try to frag that damn thing somehow; that's a lot of dead skeleton hanging around.

WELL, hope y'all enjoyed the update!

• Like 7