ReefCleaners.org

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

Noob Tubing! I have it a nice blanket of sand in the deepest sand bed area in the tank. That also happens to be the lowest flow area in the tank as well. Seems to be happy right now. Was feeding earlier, but I haven't target fed it yet. I really like NPS coral that don't require micro foods. Color stays the same no matter what the conditions are and they can be placed anywhere.

null_zps520f65f2.jpg

null_zpsd352c682.jpg

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow. Beautiful. It looks like it is from outer space.

aliens-meme.jpeg

HAHAHAHA. I want to be this dude.

Looks stunning under the blues.

It's more responsive than other 'nems' when feeding. It 'licks' its tentacles after a meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much going on. Thought I was getting the bryopsis under control with the extra mag but I skipped a water change an fed adequately so yeah...

Nem is doing good. He's learned the light cycle so he's pretty inactive during the day. But he knows when the lights start dimming. Comes out to feed. That thing will eat, and eat, and eat. I read somewhere that they like smaller foods but I think I could put a mackerel in there and watch the magic happen.

To algae or not to algae. That is the question.

You try squirting with hydrogen peroxide yet? Kills it instantly.

Haven't tried that. Don't want to remove anything. Imma make a change here soon

Wow. Beautiful. It looks like it is from outer space.

aliens-meme.jpeg

I still laugh at this almost daily. HAHAHAHA.

Quick update on the VEGA. I believe the UV LEDs are making a HUGE difference. In terms of making the greens deeper and the reds like whoa. Getting good growth from everything except that gorg. Dam mushroom found its way to the base of the gorg and it seems they don't like each other.

Yellow leather is doing great. Took a few weeks for it to fully open up but man I may have to move its location because its HUUUGE!

Been slacking on the mid week water changes and as a result the freakin algae is creeping back. MAD.

That's it!!!!!!!!!!!

jedimasterben

Violet doesn't do anything for non-fluorescent colors, and as soon as any other channel comes on, any fluorescence they cause is covered up.

Violet doesn't do anything for non-fluorescent colors, and as soon as any other channel comes on, any fluorescence they cause is covered up.

How do you know that? Seriously. Having watched the color changes in certain corals with the different LEDs, I feel like the sps especially have had quite a dramatic change because of the UV/Deep Blue. It's obvious that certain corals are changing colors. But I can't say for sure which color led is causing the change. I say UV because with the UVs on, the color they are becoming Isolde prevalent. So for example, a green/purple valida used to be a little brown at the base with slightly purple tips. With the UV on only, the base washer green and the tips were deeper. Now it just stays that way with vibrant colors. The deep blue has a similar effect so could be those?

I do agree that when other lights are adde to UV the UV becomes invisible. However, that's not to say that it isn't still there...

Tank looks great with that Vega is all I have to say :)

My favorite T5s now are 420s I just love how the greens and oranges look.

Tank looks great with that Vega is all I have to say :)

My favorite T5s now are 420s I just love how the greens and oranges look.

Thank you. I really want an ati fixture, but I would have to incorporate a dusk / dawn effect. I'm do used to it now.

jedimasterben

Thank you. I really want an ati fixture, but I would have to incorporate a dusk / dawn effect. I'm do used to it now.

I believe ATI Sunpower are dimmable.

Nanofreak79

Sweet nem! I have four Vegas on various tanks, and have replaced a puck in each with DB, RB, V, V ,UV I can say that the coral coloration has definitely improved. Nice tank BTW....

Sweet nem! I have four Vegas on various tanks, and have replaced a puck in each with DB, RB, V, V ,UV I can say that the coral coloration has definitely improved. Nice tank BTW....

It has to make a difference. Too noticeable to say otherwise. You don't have a thread?

Hey man. Feelin better? I gotta get some pics Sunday.

Yeppers! Feel'n mucho better. Thanks!

I'll look forward for pics on Monday. :)

Nanofreak79

No tank threads....I should get around to posting pics of my tanks at the very least. I don't have time to keep up on updating a thread often enough to make it interesting.

No tank threads....I should get around to posting pics of my tanks at the very least. I don't have time to keep up on updating a thread often enough to make it interesting.

Yeah I thought that too, but with photobucket it's pretty simple. I went through a period where I was STAYING on NR. I've calmed down since then... Lets see them here first!!

jedimasterben

How do you know that? Seriously. Having watched the color changes in certain corals with the different LEDs, I feel like the sps especially have had quite a dramatic change because of the UV/Deep Blue. It's obvious that certain corals are changing colors. But I can't say for sure which color led is causing the change. I say UV because with the UVs on, the color they are becoming Isolde prevalent. So for example, a green/purple valida used to be a little brown at the base with slightly purple tips. With the UV on only, the base washer green and the tips were deeper. Now it just stays that way with vibrant colors. The deep blue has a similar effect so could be those? I do agree that when other lights are adde to UV the UV becomes invisible. However, that's not to say that it isn't still there...

I've done a very large amount of research and testing with LEDs, pigments (both fluorescent and not), and how to use LEDs to excite those pigments. Other than fluorescent pigments, I could not find any that would benefit from the addition of very short wavelengths. Just like royal blue LEDs - they excite fluorescent pigments and corals use them as an energy source, but any non-fluorescent colors are not helped by their addition, and are washed out into a muddled grey color.

I've done a very large amount of research and testing with LEDs, pigments (both fluorescent and not), and how to use LEDs to excite those pigments. Other than fluorescent pigments, I could not find any that would benefit from the addition of very short wavelengths. Just like royal blue LEDs - they excite fluorescent pigments and corals use them as an energy source, but any non-fluorescent colors are not helped by their addition, and are washed out into a muddled grey color.

I see what your saying in terms of while the lights are on. But what about the long term effects? The color changes I'm referring to occurred over the course of the last couple months.

Archived