Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

I apologize in advanced if this question has been asked; what kind of lights did you originally use on this tank? My LFS said they could order me one of these tanks with the stand and I loved the light you had on the first couple pages of this forum.

Thanks!

What you don't like my light now? ;)

Since he's probably out scuba diving somewhere.... He used the Aqua Illumination Sol led light

Ha dude you nailed it! Going out this weekend. I'm in the Divemaster program. Thinking about making some life changes.

I also feel kinda bad that I've been neglecting to post on NR. I've been keeping up with everyone, but not posting. I don't really know what I want to do with this tank right now. I need a new stand pretty soon because this one got some water damage and it's starting to bow a little. Idk if I want to continue with the Deep Blue, or go for something different. Really don't have the $ to put into anything right now.

I apologize in advanced if this question has been asked; what kind of lights did you originally use on this tank? My LFS said they could order me one of these tanks with the stand and I loved the light you had on the first couple pages of this forum.

Thanks!

As was said, it was/is an AI SOL, but the White version. I had it for a whole. Just wasn't happy with the yellowish tint of the white LEDs they used. I still have it if you want to buy it for cheap. You'll have to get the heat sync from the AI website.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm interested. I like the height of the fixture. I was thinking about the Kessil A350W but wasn't sure if it would be too much for a shallow display. I know Kessil sells the Gooseneck but wasn't sure if that would be too low and strong for the tank.

I'm interested. I like the height of the fixture. I was thinking about the Kessil A350W but wasn't sure if it would be too much for a shallow display. I know Kessil sells the Gooseneck but wasn't sure if that would be too low and strong for the tank.

Well as far as the height, that's not the light. The arm holding the light is a Zero Edge Aquarium light tree. I got that when I still had a Biocube, and cut it to get the height I have now.

How will you be mounting the SOL to your tank?

Well as far as the height, that's not the light. The arm holding the light is a Zero Edge Aquarium light tree. I got that when I still had a Biocube, and cut it to get the height I have now.

How will you be mounting the SOL to your tank?

Well if I go with the Kessil A350W I'll purchase the gooseneck and it hangs on the back of the tank. Here is a picture of it:post-84570-0-61513200-1401413675_thumb.jpg

I've been hesitant to purchase this tank and stand. I absolutely love the look and size of the tank, but the stand worries me. I worry about the size and room for a sump. I would love to purchase the protein skimmer you have since I plan on upgrading to a 120G somewhere in the far future, and I would hate to buy another protein skimmer for a second tank. I was looking at the Proflex Model 3 Sump (since it's on sale) http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=23752 in which I would think it should fit the Reef Octopus 6. The only problem is...will this sump fit inside the stand? If not, I imagine purchasing a slightly larger sump may look silly since the tank won't fit it correctly. The sump is a little over 25 inches long.

Thanks!

Does the stand have a backing? If not, I could put the large sump in the long way and have it hanging out the back.

That sump will not fit. Stand is walled all around.

The reasons for your hesitation are the exact reasons I would not purchase this tank again. I got it because I like the shallow look, it allows for easy maintenance, and I could use my existing light setup and grow anything. I've had a pretty good experience with it, with some annoyances in certain areas. I haven't been able to find a sump that will fit well, without having one built. The stand is crap, let's be honest. It's particle board with no reinforcement holding the tank up. The door hinges will rust all over after a few months if any water touches them (splashes). Also, I'm tall and it's annoying bending down all the time to see things from the front. Looking too down is awesome though and if you shut the pumps off it's like your out in nature looking at a section of reef at low tide. Oh, and the overflow wasn't really that thought out.

My next tank will probably be slightly longer with a taller stand that is quality. I say that, but I'm completely hooked diving so it's gonna be a while. If I had things my way, I'd get a Red Sea Max. But yeah...trip to Bonaire to dive all day for a week...I must.

That sump will not fit. Stand is walled all around.

The reasons for your hesitation are the exact reasons I would not purchase this tank again. I got it because I like the shallow look, it allows for easy maintenance, and I could use my existing light setup and grow anything. I've had a pretty good experience with it, with some annoyances in certain areas. I haven't been able to find a sump that will fit well, without having one built. The stand is crap, let's be honest. It's particle board with no reinforcement holding the tank up. The door hinges will rust all over after a few months if any water touches them (splashes). Also, I'm tall and it's annoying bending down all the time to see things from the front. Looking too down is awesome though and if you shut the pumps off it's like your out in nature looking at a section of reef at low tide. Oh, and the overflow wasn't really that thought out.

My next tank will probably be slightly longer with a taller stand that is quality. I say that, but I'm completely hooked diving so it's gonna be a while. If I had things my way, I'd get a Red Sea Max. But yeah...trip to Bonaire to dive all day for a week...I must.

I was looking to add the ProFlex Model 3 sump which is 25.5 inches in length and add the same skimmer you have in yours. I'm also looking longer term and eventually would love to have a 120G rimless tank. I wanted to be able to take equipment from the 30 shallow without having to buy more equipment for the 120G (again this would be a tank in the hopefully the near future). But it seems like I may pass on the 30 just because I would hate to put a lot of money into something and not be 100% satisfied. I may still purchase the sump since Dr Foster & Smith is having a really good sale on them. I may also end up purchasing two Kessil A350W since BRS has them for $299 as well. What do you think?

• 1 month later...

Sup everyone? I've decided to take a break on this reef tank. My SCUBA addiction has turned into a more professional approach and I've begun training to be an instructor and beyond. I'll still be on this forum because I want to start another tank in the future, and I hate the scuba forums. Bunch of tards...

If anyone is interested in purchasing anything take a look at this link and PM me.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/for/4571491297.html

Sorry to see you go, but I understand the feeling. I'm going to St. Thomas in a few weeks, and I hope to do my very first diving. I can definitely see it becoming a huge part of my life.

I'll still be on this forum because I want to start another tank in the future, and I hate the scuba forums. Bunch of tards...

Haha, I hear you there. How old is that MP-10 and what kind of condition its in? Shipping cost?

Sorry to see you go, but I understand the feeling. I'm going to St. Thomas in a few weeks, and I hope to do my very first diving. I can definitely see it becoming a huge part of my life.

Diving is awesome. But not only for the ocean and stuff. No one can F with me down there! lol

LIGHT AND CONTROLLER AND SKIMMER ARE SOLD. MP10w still available!!

If you are interested in anything else, please include your zip code so I can calculate any shipping.

Also, if any of you are local, please let me know because I would prefer my fish go to good tanks...

And I'm keeping the clowns unless there's a killer offer made. Pair (1 Premium ORA Snowflake and 1 Generic Little Amphiprion). They do breed, but I have not tried to hatch any with cultures and such.

weakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Haha I knew you would say that. You are right in that my wallet is weakkkkkker than yours. lol

All good man. I'm not out. My family has confirmed that we should have a reef aquarium, but I can't focus on it right now. Thing is a mess.

Haha I knew you would say that. You are right in that my wallet is weakkkkkker than yours. lol

All good man. I'm not out. My family has confirmed that we should have a reef aquarium, but I can't focus on it right now. Thing is a mess.

Just gotta go LPS man. I only do a 10 gallon water change once a weekish and drop a few pellets in 3 times a week. Basically maintenance free.

Surprisingly my monti cap's are taking off. I didn't think they would survive.

Just gotta go LPS man. I only do a 10 gallon water change once a weekish and drop a few pellets in 3 times a week. Basically maintenance free.

Surprisingly my monti cap's are taking off. I didn't think they would survive.

Yeah. It's really more of a maintenance and time thing right now. I'll have another setup soon. Who knows if il sell the tank. Probably work something out with the lfs for store credit.

mattgreene22

Wow, just came across your whole thread and then stumbled to the end wanting to know what was current...and current seems to be an active break down. Sorry to see that.

I've got a 20x20x12 deep blue that I was contemplating setting up as a shallow display. Any chance you still have the light tree? Think it would work with something like a d120 or ocean revive s026? I'm down near Potomac Mills, but work up in DC. Gotta go back through your thread and read up on your experiences. I was trying to figure out what skimmer I should use by finding similar tanks...did you have one?

Wow, just came across your whole thread and then stumbled to the end wanting to know what was current...and current seems to be an active break down. Sorry to see that.

I've got a 20x20x12 deep blue that I was contemplating setting up as a shallow display. Any chance you still have the light tree? Think it would work with something like a d120 or ocean revive s026? I'm down near Potomac Mills, but work up in DC. Gotta go back through your thread and read up on your experiences. I was trying to figure out what skimmer I should use by finding similar tanks...did you have one?

Hey man. Don't worry, I can't let the clowns go so ;) I'll be setting up something smaller, or going real simple with the 30 frag tank. There's a few reasons for the change:

Addiction expansion: scuba.

Overall time to keep up: employment transition

Fu*#+ing algae issues...

I feel like I'm probably going to get a kessil A150 and keep the 30 but I don't know. The lfs said hey would give me some credit for it so I may do that and get the kessil with a smaller tank and basic filtration. The idea being LOW maintenance, but still nice to look at.

As for the tree, yes I still have it. That thing was expensive, but well made and perfect for certain applications. I'll give it to you for $100. And I'll drive down to DC to hand it off. Let me know if your interested.

And I'd like to know what you think about the thread after you go through it. No doubt I will be making another one soon!

Yeah Frederick. The space is huge. Lots of cool stuff in there. Just dropped off a bunch of things. Looking forward to see what kind of credit I can get.

That's too bad about the tank, I really enjoyed the build. I actually just started a build of my own. What kind of starfish did you have in your tank?

That's too bad about the tank, I really enjoyed the build. I actually just started a build of my own. What kind of starfish did you have in your tank?

Dam man. Next time I want to up my hits I'm just gonna tell people that I'm tearing it down! lol

Well...starfish... I tried 2 fromias. I saw both, at separate times, at the lfs and thought 'hmm there are so many of them looking good in there I think I can keep just one!' Both went south within two weeks. Once they start going for the water line they aren't gonna make it. The multi colored fromia lasted longer, but I think they starve and I tried everything. Make nice pics, but I wouldn't try another unless it was a species tank.

Dam man. Next time I want to up my hits I'm just gonna tell people that I'm tearing it down! lol

Well...starfish... I tried 2 fromias. I saw both, at separate times, at the lfs and thought 'hmm there are so many of them looking good in there I think I can keep just one!' Both went south within two weeks. Once they start going for the water line they aren't gonna make it. The multi colored fromia lasted longer, but I think they starve and I tried everything. Make nice pics, but I wouldn't try another unless it was a species tank.

Thanks for the response and recommendation. I will not be purchasing one of those. I just started a Nuvo 38 and plan on housing mainly LPS but may try a few SPS. For fish, I plan on stocking two true percula clowns (I can't afford the picasso), a blue reef chromis, maybe a small goby, and a flame angel. What do you think?

Here's my new tank build (I just started last night so nothing too exciting): http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/348980-shawnrivs-im-nuvo-38-build-tons-of-pictures/

Archived