Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

Was it difficult to build a stand? What tools did you need to do it? Anyone know if Home Depot will cut the boards for you?

Naw it wasn't hard at all, all i used was a Skill saw and drill, level and a square to make sure everything is correct. Home Depot will cut everything for you as long you have all the measurements, use google sketch to draw it out, once you figure it out its pretty awesome, you can get every single measurement from that. The stand I want to make for the reef savvy will be the length of the wall the tank currently is on and on the left and right of the stand ill make a wine rack on one side and book shelf on the other, then the middle will be huge for the sump and plenty of equipment space. I never thought I'd fill the current stand but I'm already outta space.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not an exact measured render, but here's my first attempt at Google Sketchup.... I like the idea of an open stand. I think it looks modern, but the cat might get in there... So I may design a sliding glass panel or something. Tinted most likely. That would be cool. This program is so awesome (THANKS STi) I'm going to take a couple hours and sketch my dream setup...

TankConcept2_zps39ac126e.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Pschom/media/TankConcept3_zps23526038.jpg.html'>TankConcept3_zps23526038.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Pschom/media/TankConcept1_zpsf6983303.jpg.html'>TankConcept1_zpsf6983303.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Pschom/media/TankConcept4_zps73d19926.jpg.html'>TankConcept4_zps73d19926.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Pschom/media/FugeConcept_zpsafa96ad5.jpg.html'>FugeConcept_zpsafa96ad5.jpg

http://s1237.photobucket.com/user/Pschom/media/ATOampReturn_zps0d91d6c4.jpg.html'>ATOampReturn_zps0d91d6c4.jpg

Wooooo Nice dude! It is an awesome program, once you get use to all of it you can do some pretty awesome things much like you did! I really like the idea of a sliding glass panel.

Well I'm maxed out with the blues on the vega. Turned them all to 100%. No adverse effects. I think I will lower the light several inches and use the coral acclimation mode at 50% for a week or so. I feel like I'm loosing a lot of light on the sides.

Still no word from AI about the green led that doesn't work.....

Wow I'm really surprised they haven't responded. Complain on there fb page, they seem to respond to that, I don't have a fb but i check out there page using my gf's fb.

Wow I'm really surprised they haven't responded. Complain on there fb page, they seem to respond to that, I don't have a fb but i check out there page using my gf's fb.

Just called an got through. He said to change the drivers around and see if the problem follows the driver, or if the problem stays with that one led. Also said that there are no lense replacements yet for the vega and I should drop it down to about 6-8 inches from the surface and lower the intensities by about 10% when I do.

So I'm happy because I get to F with all this tonight and over the weekend.

The new lights look great! Your corals are looking awesome.

It seems that the cyano in my nano has completely disappeared. I will share with you what I did. I added more different types of macros to the fuge and dosed Dr. Tims Nitrifying Bacteria. I skipped one water change. I figured that I did not want to remove any bacteria that may still be in the water column. The water clouded slightly for a few days after adding the bacteria. I do not know if this is a coincidence or a result of better biological filtration, but a week later I noticed a significant reduction of cyano on the sand. After two weeks I could not see any cyano anywhere so I did a small water change. I am back on the routine water changes and so far so good. :)

That's cool. I might try that if I get another outbreak. Looks like for the moment it's not that bad. Been doing 5 gallon water changes twice a week and adding magnesium per the total tank volume in the 5 gallons. I think that's helping because as I read Mg is low in reef crystals.

The new lights look great! Your corals are looking awesome.

It seems that the cyano in my nano has completely disappeared. I will share with you what I did. I added more different types of macros to the fuge and dosed Dr. Tims Nitrifying Bacteria. I skipped one water change. I figured that I did not want to remove any bacteria that may still be in the water column. The water clouded slightly for a few days after adding the bacteria. I do not know if this is a coincidence or a result of better biological filtration, but a week later I noticed a significant reduction of cyano on the sand. After two weeks I could not see any cyano anywhere so I did a small water change. I am back on the routine water changes and so far so good. :)

I'd like to know more about this Dr. Tim's method. I have a pretty thick layer of cyano going right now.

What does everyone think about a 40" tall stand with a 16" high tank? That's cool right?

Turns out I know a guy that does wood work. But it sounds expensive. He's looking into everything.

I think the higher the better in your situation. Chance of being able to see it while on the couch, and more of a view when in the kitchen.

Amazing colors. I can't wait until Wednesday until my lights come in. Have you posted your settings/schedule? Any noticeable growth since you've added the lights?

SouthFlorida_Tron

mmm nice algae, ya not coo, unless ya gots da algae... i got some of da red stuff on ma sand.... you got da green!?!?

lol

Spirofucci

Dude, I somehow always forget of friggn beautiful this tank is!!!!!!!! You really need to post pice more often!!!!!

All the colors on everything do pop way more right?!? And I'm trying to kill my algae with increased mag, it works as long as you keep up with it.

jedimasterben

DSC00669_zps45ba37f1.jpg

This is acetabularia, right? If so, please send it to me, I'll gladly take it off your hands!

Amazing colors. I can't wait until Wednesday until my lights come in. Have you posted your settings/schedule? Any noticeable growth since you've added the lights?
Thanks! You got the Vega I'm assuming? Schedules pretty easy. I'm using the 'easy mode' which starts at 11am and ramps for 5 hours then starts ramping down for 5 hours at 8. The controllers built in program for that makes the morning ramp less blue than the evening which is what I wanted anyway. Honestly I wanted it to be more complicated so I could mess with it...but I haven't needed to. I might try the Caribbean setting, but don't know if you can pick a time for that or is it going to peak the lights for like 10 hours... Far as growth idk. Everything is growing, but I suspect less because I think the white spectrum of color is what growth is mainly attributed to. With 80 degree lenses the whites aren't focused as much as the were before so... I asked AI if I could replace 2 lenses with a 40 degree but they don't have them 'at this time'. Going to have to lower the light Sunday. Hopefully that won't increase the disco effect...
mmm nice algae, ya not coo, unless ya gots da algae... i got some of da red stuff on ma sand.... you got da green!?!? lol
wow
Dude, I somehow always forget of friggn beautiful this tank is!!!!!!!! You really need to post pice more often!!!!!
Can't be that cool if its not that memorable...or maybe your memory is going. lol ;) Thanks.
All the colors on everything do pop way more right?!? And I'm trying to kill my algae with increased mag, it works as long as you keep up with it.
Yeah it's making the colors come out way more. I've been dosing mag. Seen a reduction in the nasty stuff, but these macros keep growing. DAM THEM!!!! Naw but it's custom so it's straight. ;)

This is acetabularia, right? If so, please send it to me, I'll gladly take it off your hands!
I'm gonna say no. Acetabularia seems to have more of a see through skin and this is shiny with no visible lines. It grows like grape calerpa but its not that either...I don't think. Like I said. Custom!
jedimasterben

but I suspect less because I think the white spectrum of color is what growth is mainly attributed to.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313663-lighting-spectra-photosynthesis-and-you-new-plots/

I'm gonna say no. Acetabularia seems to have more of a see through skin and this is shiny with no visible lines. It grows like grape calerpa but its not that either...I don't think. Like I said. Custom!

still want it. lol

Was looking at these pics on the iPhone and they look whiter. Or lighter than they do on the iMac. So for anyone viewing on the phone..tank looks better than this. lol

Yup, I went with the Vega. I was torn for awhile between the razor and the vega, but decided to pull the trigger on the AI as originally planned. I figured it was the light that would get more support down the line or if there was any failure in one of the pucks. I've browsed numerous threads and looked at countless pics of both units and the tanks they light. I'm going from an aquatraders 4x39 with ATI bulbs and just recently natural sunlight so I'm hoping I can see better growth/color from these.

Archived