inTank Media Baskets

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

jedimasterben

I wouldn't worry about more water changes. Cyano will go away with time as the system matures. Besides, water changes are a poor method of nutrient export.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't worry about more water changes. Cyano will go away with time as the system matures. Besides, water changes are a poor method of nutrient export.

Dude this system has been running for quite a while. And these rocks have been in an aquarium for years... What makes you say that water changes are a poor method of nutrient export?

Yeah, my tank is 2 1/2 years old, with rock from a 17-yr old tank. I'm religious about water changes, and yet I still have cyano. I think mine is caused by a large bioload, due to my tank being absolutely saturated by Blue Clove Polyps. If only I could put a skimmer on it....

jedimasterben

Dude this system has been running for quite a while. And these rocks have been in an aquarium for years... What makes you say that water changes are a poor method of nutrient export?

Biological control is optimum for nutrient control and export, water changes not so much, as if you rely on them and skip one, it will make a difference.

Yeah, my tank is 2 1/2 years old, with rock from a 17-yr old tank. I'm religious about water changes, and yet I still have cyano. I think mine is caused by a large bioload, due to my tank being absolutely saturated by Blue Clove Polyps. If only I could put a skimmer on it....

Hmm

Biological control is optimum for nutrient control and export, water changes not so much, as if you rely on them and skip one, it will make a difference.

Yeah. It's strange. Sometimes I get better results when I skip a weekly water change. Not with the algaes, but with the corals. They seem happier. Only sometimes.... Guess it maters howuch I fed, what was the metabolic rate of critters, did the red skins win or loose.... The basics.

jedimasterben

Hmm Yeah. It's strange. Sometimes I get better results when I skip a weekly water change. Not with the algaes, but with the corals. They seem happier. Only sometimes.... Guess it maters howuch I fed, what was the metabolic rate of critters, did the red skins win or loose.... The basics.

Corals like 'clean' water that is dirty, if that makes sense (I don't think it does :P), when I stopped doing water changes, my system was better and better until I ####ed up my filtration.

Corals like 'clean' water that is dirty, if that makes sense (I don't think it does :P), when I stopped doing water changes, my system was better and better until I ####ed up my filtration.

Huh. Never thought of it like that, but yeah. It does make sense. That kinda makes me look at this from a different angle. As far as the corals.

Oh and I now have bryopsis growing. FML

Huh. Never thought of it like that, but yeah. It does make sense. That kinda makes me look at this from a different angle. As far as the corals.

Oh and I now have bryopsis growing. FML

Ugh good luck with that. I just took my rocks out again to spray them down with hydrogen peroxide.

Giving my new dry rocks an acid bath before starting up the new tank.

FishDooD65
Ugh good luck with that. I just took my rocks out again to spray them down with hydrogen peroxide.

Giving my new dry rocks an acid bath before starting up the new tank.

What about raising your magnesium level? I think if you raise it to the 3,000 ppm level it will start killing off the bryopsis and I think it doesn't harm your coral.

I'm too lazy to test my water. Easier just to pick up the two big rocks and spray them with a syringe. I don't hit any of the sps.

I'm too lazy to test my water. Easier just to pick up the two big rocks and spray them with a syringe. I don't hit any of the sps.

You don't test but you went out and bought a cabinet an refinished it and made it into an aquarium stand with custom compartments. LOL!

I might try the Mg up thing.

Whoa whoa whoa, nothing custom about it. The cabinet was from some thrift store in middle of no where Virginia. Just sanded and painted it.

Testing just leads to water changes and I do 2 water changes a week most of the time.

You find a place for scuba lessons? Trip to the Keys next year.

Whoa whoa whoa, nothing custom about it. The cabinet was from some thrift store in middle of no where Virginia. Just sanded and painted it.

Testing just leads to water changes and I do 2 water changes a week most of the time.

You find a place for scuba lessons? Trip to the Keys next year.

Yeah you won't catch me sanding or painting anything.

I need to do some more research on the PADI. I like the place you chose but its expensive. Thing is I'm not convinced its less anywhere else because of what you need (book, gear rental, etc.) I have snorkel and mask (pretty good stuff too).

And yes to trip to keys! That sounds awesome. I've been so bored lately after that last vacation. Gonna take some time off early July and mid August. Have to plan something involving water, the carribean, a hotel, some drinks...............

What about raising your magnesium level? I think if you raise it to the 3,000 ppm level it will start killing off the bryopsis and I think it doesn't harm your coral.

That would be 2000 ppm.

Got bored so started tinkering so see it all fit together and ..... it almost did.

Took the SOL apart and gutted it

null_zps53996bb7.jpg

Then installed the new VEGA color pucks to the heat sink

null_zps9055c552.jpg

Here's everything installed and ready for the cover

null_zps33d831a6.jpg

Lenses...

null_zpsb4e60cb9.jpg

And with the cover

null_zps8ff6236a.jpg

One noticeable difference that I wasn't aware of is that the lenses on the vega are 'frosted' for diffusing. I guess to avoid the disco ball effect.

null_zpsb13da100.jpg

Here's the SOL lense for comparison

null_zps2a53f5e7.jpg

And I also noticed another difference in that the wire for the fan isn't long enough to reach the new 'mother' board. So I guess I will just patch into it and make it a little longer. Shouldn't be hard, but they seem to have thought of everything else here.....

null_zps17484866.jpg

And more proof

null_zpsdfc5c5ef.jpg

Am I missing something?

So......I checked the tracking number to make sure ill get the controller tomorrow and found out that its been sitting at the Laurel facility his whole weekend! WTF?! Dammit. I wish I would have known that. Would have picked it up during one of the three times I passed it theseast two days. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

I've been so bored recently after that vacation.

Anyone down for a snorkel/dive trip? Really want to go back to Honduras, but Belize is fine as well.

WAMAS is doing a trip to Roatan in June 2014. Staying at www.anthonyskey.com

How much?

So......I checked the tracking number to make sure ill get the controller tomorrow and found out that its been sitting at the Laurel facility his whole weekend! WTF?! Dammit. I wish I would have known that. Would have picked it up during one of the three times I passed it theseast two days. Oh well, something to look forward to I guess.

I've been so bored recently after that vacation.

Anyone down for a snorkel/dive trip? Really want to go back to Honduras, but Belize is fine as well.

Sheet I'd love too! I've got 6 weeks vacation to burn threw every year plus a week of personal time! 13yrs with Costco and running your own dept has its perks haha, now my gf on the other hand is limited cause she's usually booked 6months out with patients at her office, so she has to bring in a temp to fill in for her, she's definitely jelly with all the time I take off. I think we gonna book that cruise that leaves outta Puerto Rico in aug, 3 of the 5 places I haven't been too yet and want to snorkel there.

I made it to 5 weeks of VACA this year! You've been with Costco for 13 years? I need to just be ok with doing a job and going home. I get all stressed out because I'm tired of this job, but I make more than I ever did so... How have you managed to stay that long?

Lol yea it was my first job at 16 and it has just kinda worked out, paid for my own college while I worked there. Started making some good money while I was in college and by the time I graduated if I left and looked else where I woulda taking a pretty decent pay cut. Plus I've got a healthy 401k awesome Heath insurance boat loads of vacation. Except it makes you hate the public with a passion lol... I'm not leaving here anytime soon, too much time invested unless I could race my car or bike professionally... I can dream lol. But in all seriousness it's a great company to work for, once I started taking it a little serious lol and got into management it's not so bad. I am tired of it but there's lots of opportunities for me.

Archived