Pod Your Reef

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

Picked up this tank with a sweet custom stand over the weekend. Paid $350 for the pair. The stand seems very well built and has a nice modern look, the wife is happy. Been working on the sump and plumbing, not much room in the stand, but I think I've got it worked out with a 14.5 gallon sump, and 6.6 gallon fuge on a shelf above it. I'll try and get pictures of the setup posted when I'm finished. Can't wait to get everything moved over from the other tank, I love the look of the shallow rimless... :D

Nice. You know if the wife doesn't like it, you won't be allowed to either. Lol. Not sure if I understand the fuge on a shelf. Have to see a pic. Heads up, that sliding overflow height thing doesn't work to adjust the water level in the tank. So you'll have to figure that out. I'm working on taking that piece out and gluing it on the outside. Nearly impossible once the plumbing is installed...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everything is looking real good!

Thanks man. You? I hope I haven't bleached anything today by mounting stuff near the top too quickly. Should be comparable to the 400w halides at the lfs though.

Nice. You know if the wife doesn't like it, you won't be allowed to either. Lol. Not sure if I understand the fuge on a shelf. Have to see a pic. Heads up, that sliding overflow height thing doesn't work to adjust the water level in the tank. So you'll have to figure that out. I'm working on taking that piece out and gluing it on the outside. Nearly impossible once the plumbing is installed...

I get pics up soon. Still in the middle of figuring out the plumbing with limited space. Tasking my time to do it right.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the water level. Is the level in the tank always consistent? Sliding the gate up or down just affects the level in the corner overflow box, right?

mygolfisslow
I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the water level. Is the level in the tank always consistent? Sliding the gate up or down just affects the level in the corner overflow box, right?

nope it affects the level in the tank. the adjusting screw things are rubbish you will want to glue it in place.

you will love this tank. so far the cleanest looking tank style wise i have ever owned.

Sry I was tired. The adjustment doesn't do anything. The gap in between the adjustable wall and the overflow wall is too large. Like he said the screws don't work and don't even fit in there with the plumbing.

Nice frags!

Thanks! Can't wait for everything to grow out. I'm gonna try not to mess with anything except regular maintenance and watch it fill up with growth.

I wish the damn clam would foot itself though. It seems to be doing great, just doesn't attach anywhere I place it.

What do you think about two Kessil's on this tank? Maybe 8" above the surface and about 4" apart (or less)?? I've been looking at the a150 unit and the color of the 10k is pretty sweet. Also the 'shimmer' is more natural. Of course you cant measure 'useable' PAR, but the measurements are obviously less than the AI. that said, I don't have the AI turned up over 70%.

Thoughts? I know a new one is coming out soon. Maybe I'll wait for that and see the features. I really like what I've seen so far.

mygolfisslow
What do you think about two Kessil's on this tank? Maybe 8" above the surface and about 4" apart (or less)?? I've been looking at the a150 unit and the color of the 10k is pretty sweet. Also the 'shimmer' is more natural. Of course you cant measure 'useable' PAR, but the measurements are obviously less than the AI. that said, I don't have the AI turned up over 70%.

Thoughts? I know a new one is coming out soon. Maybe I'll wait for that and see the features. I really like what I've seen so far.

Check out shallows shallow thread here on NR. He's got one over a similar tank to ours. I'm on my phone otherwise I would post a link for you.

Check out shallows shallow thread here on NR. He's got one over a similar tank to ours. I'm on my phone otherwise I would post a link for you.

Thanks. I was convinced to wait for the A350 that's supposed to come out very soon. I can't wait to give it a try! Glad your Radion is working out for you. They had one setup at the lfs across the street and it makes everything really stand out.

I hate waiting fr stuff, but it does give you something to look forward to.

The Sinularia and GSP frags from last night look pretty good this morning. I was getting some over-growth from one kind of GSP. My 4.5 year old helped me frag them. (we used our shooting glasses as eye pro) Fragging these is easier than anything. Snip-glue. That's it. I wonder how long it will take the leather to start really growing on the plug?

bcd1424a.jpg

013d9b2a.jpg

Almost done with my setup, just working out a few kinks. Doing a freshwater test now for the plumbing. Here is a crappy cell phone pic of my fuge setup, not a lot of room to work with under the stand. Fuge is a 6.6 gallon PetCo bookshelf aquarium that is fed from a split from my drain, and feeds back into the sump through a bulkhead drilled into the bottom w/standpipe. I was also able to fit a SCWD in the return chamber for even more random water flow (in addition to the MP10)

IMAG0242.jpg

IMAG0246.jpg

Almost done with my setup, just working out a few kinks. Doing a freshwater test now for the plumbing. Here is a crappy cell phone pic of my fuge setup, not a lot of room to work with under the stand. Fuge is a 6.6 gallon PetCo bookshelf aquarium that is fed from a split from my drain, and feeds back into the sump through a bulkhead drilled into the bottom w/standpipe. I was also able to fit a SCWD in the return chamber for even more random water flow (in addition to the MP10)

Nice! Fuge and split return are great. Where did you get the splitter? What did/do you use to drill glass? Never done that.

Love that kid. NERF ftw!

Lol

Nice! Fuge and split return are great. Where did you get the splitter? What did/do you use to drill glass? Never done that.

Lol

I used a PVC 3-way elbow to split the drain. I also installed a ball valve to control the flow or shut it off. This fuge tank is plastic, but I have drilled glass before. Just use a special hole saw made for drilling glass, keep it wet, and take your time.

How are things going

Good man. Been so busy at work lately, but that's good too so can't complain.

Only issue is the BTA. It stays shrunken most of the time. I don't get it. It's reall bubbly at dusk and never fully comes out. Everything else is growing out. Still have the lack of color thing. I increased the light output a little and saw results. This week I may go higher.

Messing around with this new iPhone

Lens.

Fisheye

2a963a17.jpg

28f0f29c.jpg

Macro - unfortunately I can't get close enough to any other corals to take macros. That sucks.

I really like the detail on the polyps. STICKY!

8e6df78a.jpg

a02b90a6.jpg

ebf7992f.jpg

On another note, the purple coraline is growing and spreading like crazy. So is the ponape birdsnest, which I guess means that the calc and alk are where they need to be. This is a noob error, but I had been dosing both A and B at the same time and I think they were canceling each other out. I started dosing calcium and alkalinity on alternating days and the results are evident.

Archived