inTank Media Baskets

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

I've had my 40 breeder open top for almost 2 years with no jumpers. No I'm worried when I switch over to this tank I might have issues. I wonder if the shallowness makes fish more prone to jumping?

I don't know man. I had a bio cube open for a while with a fire fish. It attempted jumping, but was unsuccessful. I'm putting that top on tonight as a temporary fix. After that I'll see about getting some acrylic cut to use as a lip on the top edges. Was thinking a couple of inch overhang.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry for the loss.

You can also buy a piece of acrylic and drill holes in it for air flow and such. That's what I have and it looks super clean.

Edit. Just read your post about acrylic.

Aquarium 1 trip tn :)

Sorry for the loss.

You can also buy a piece of acrylic and drill holes in it for air flow and such. That's what I have and it looks super clean.

Edit. Just read your post about acrylic.

Aquarium 1 trip tn :)

Just came from there. They had some nice stuff.

I was gonna pick up a few chromi's on sale

Any good zoa's? I hope that huge $200 hammer(if I remember correctly) is still available when I get back from Europe.

For what it's worth..... If $250 jumps out of my aquarium again I might never be the same.

679ddb60.jpg

I also (big thanks to mygolfisslow!!) adjusted the overflow. For 0.48¢ I made that pipe SILENT! And it's adjustable. I didn't even use the piece that came with the durso. I love this forum. This was so easy I felt really stupid for not thinking of it sooner. Still pissed about the dead fish though.......

7498ffa7.jpg

42c8fe5a.jpg

Since I was at HD I finally got some cabinet hardware to replace the craptacular handles that come with this stand. The new ones actually match my kitchen cabinets. I didn't know that when I purchased them. Gotta plug the old holes.

126509f9.jpg

mygolfisslow

Glad that worked out for you. I found that the way you have it gergles a little. Also you are probly having an issue with the stupid plastic baffle thing to adjust the water level in the tank. Since the screw will not fit with the drain pipe in. I set it and superglued it just on the edges and put a thin pice of plastic in front to cover the slats that go down further than the rest. My water level is about half an inch from the rim. Just an FYI I only say this because your water level looks a bit low.

Only in that last pic. Just remember that more water up top means more water in the sump if the return is off.

It's funny. The reason that it's low it because I removed the length of filter floss which always kept the water level steady at about where yours is. I was thinking about gluing something over the overflow cause, like you said, the stupid screw thing is useless. I'll take a look at yours again.

I'm not getting any gurgle. I'm not getting anything...and it's GREAT! Your the man.

Need to add a store to my list of places to get reef stuff in and around MD. Some one else had recommended this place, but I never went there until today.

Rick's pet store in Frederick. For a little store they have a TON of saltwater fish, inverts and corals. I walked around for a few minutes and was disappointed cause I couldn't find a frag tank...and then I did! Ok, the prices are high. But they have stuff that no one else has. The selection was great and I pondered my decision for about 45 minutes. I ended up with a frag of some sort of blue acropora which I will take a pic of after acclimating. The manager of the saltwater stuff came from That Fish Place do he knows his reefs. He was real nice too.

Overall this place is almost the best for local selection, but the prices are high. If they lowered the prices like 10-20% I would make this my number 1.

Question for those who have this tank. How much did you pay? I'm ordering the tank this week from my LFS, and want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Thanks!

Lol. I think I got a higher price than I should have so I'm not really a barometer.

Here's what I got from Ricks.

286c997e.jpg

So sorry about your jumpers :( Your tank is looking great.

Thanks. Yeah that sucks. You just put so much into this and sh.t happens that's completely out of your control. That's cool your doing a kitchen pico. So many options...

Lol. I think I got a higher price than I should have so I'm not really a barometer.

I was quoted $180. It's about $30-70 cheaper then all the other 2 stores I checked so I guess I'm doing OK?

Is that for the tank and stand, or just the glass and overflow? Either way, sounds good. I think anyone who lives in Montgomery County MD pays 30% higher because the stores know they can get away with it. I didn't shop around so I can't complain.

Make sure if you get any fish over $20 you put a net on top.... I like the idea of an acrylic rim. Maybe 2.5 inches in.

My BTA has been closed up for more than 24 hours now.... Why is all this weird stuff happening? All my parameters are fine. I don't have Mg or Phosphate test kit, but I can't imagine that's an issue. Top sps is still growing well, but has browned where it was green. Still has purple tips. Also I saw that one of my two kinds of GSP isnt coming out. A red shroom was starting to stick to it, so maybe that was the issue. I moved the shroom and GSP.

Really not sure what is going on with all my stuff..

mygolfisslow
My BTA has been closed up for more than 24 hours now.... Why is all this weird stuff happening? All my parameters are fine. I don't have Mg or Phosphate test kit, but I can't imagine that's an issue. Top sps is still growing well, but has browned where it was green. Still has purple tips. Also I saw that one of my two kinds of GSP isnt coming out. A red shroom was starting to stick to it, so maybe that was the issue. I moved the shroom and GSP.

Really not sure what is going on with all my stuff..

i hope things turn around for you.

i saw that you are selling your sol why not just swap out pods. as for me things are starting to color back up and look nice, so my halide experiment will be put off untill a later date gunna give it another month with the leds and see how things go.

let us know what you wind up doing for lighting i still have hope for leds.

i hope things turn around for you.

i saw that you are selling your sol why not just swap out pods. as for me things are starting to color back up and look nice, so my halide experiment will be put off untill a later date gunna give it another month with the leds and see how things go.

let us know what you wind up doing for lighting i still have hope for leds.

Well, the only thing that looks kinda weird today is the nem. It stays closed. Came out a little when I fed just now. Don't know what's wrong with it.

Far as the light, we'll see how it goes. I need a certain amount from that sale to do what I want... Was thinking Hamilton Belize Sun 250w MH/T5 w moonlights.

On another note, looks like either the anemone shrimp is eating one of the mini nems A LOT, or its splitting. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

mygolfisslow
Well, the only thing that looks kinda weird today is the nem. It stays closed. Came out a little when I fed just now. Don't know what's wrong with it.

Far as the light, we'll see how it goes. I need a certain amount from that sale to do what I want... Was thinking Hamilton Belize Sun 250w MH/T5 w moonlights.

On another note, looks like either the anemone shrimp is eating one of the mini nems A LOT, or its splitting. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

that hamilton is a nice looking light. a bit pricey. if you can deal with out t5 supplements the setup i may try ends up only being $320 from marinedepot

Hamilton Cayman 250 Watt Sun Reflector

Lumatek 250W 120/240V Dimmable / Multi-Wattage Ballast Kit

250 Watt 14000K Metal Halide Bulb - Phoenix, Double-Ended

should be more than enough light for our tanks.

My nem did that for a bit. Shrunk looked crappy for a cpl days.. It moved its self and looks great during the day during when the lights are on and shrinks at night.

that hamilton is a nice looking light. a bit pricey. if you can deal with out t5 supplements the setup i may try ends up only being $320 from marinedepot

Love the Phoenix. Had a 150w in the past. How high would you hang it? Sane as LEDs? I want the T5s so I can have sunrise, sunset... I think if I didn't have that I'd regret selling the LEDs. Its pricey.......................

My nem did that for a bit. Shrunk looked crappy for a cpl days.. It moved its self and looks great during the day during when the lights are on and shrinks at night.

Ironically it came out right after I sent that last post... Looks ok. It does't have the usual death symptoms, just stays closed a lot. I'm sure its fine. I'm paranoid about anemones because there's so much hype about loosing them.

mygolfisslow
Love the Phoenix. Had a 150w in the past. How high would you hang it? Sane as LEDs? I want the T5s so I can have sunrise, sunset... I think if I didn't have that I'd regret selling the LEDs

yes I would hang it the same around 16-18 in. I would also miss the sunset/sunrise. But don't think I would sell my LEDs unless I saw a vast improvement. Plus I could always add like six rb LEDs along with the halide at a later date. It's still just an idea in my head. Not a definitive plan yet.

You've almost sold me on this. Ballast looks good. I like that you can upgrade from 250 to 400 if you get a deeper tank.

Question. I saw that some ballasts take a long time to actually get to their peak wattage. Any idea on the lumatek? I don't know much about MH only that I like the look...and it's hot as crap.

mygolfisslow
You've almost sold me on this. Ballast looks good. I like that you can upgrade from 250 to 400 if you get a deeper tank.

Question. I saw that some ballasts take a long time to actually get to their peak wattage. Any idea on the lumatek? I don't know much about MH only that I like the look...and it's hot as crap.

From the reveiws I have looked at the lumatek is one of the better electronic ballasts out there. Also I claims to be dimmable? Not sure what is ment by that. Possible fad in and out? You may want to ask some of the halide guys in the lighting forum. As for wattage I think it's the magnetic ballasts that take a bit to warm up don't quote me on that though.

From the reveiws I have looked at the lumatek is one of the better electronic ballasts out there. Also I claims to be dimmable? Not sure what is ment by that. Possible fad in and out? You may want to ask some of the halide guys in the lighting forum. As for wattage I think it's the magnetic ballasts that take a bit to warm up don't quote me on that though.

I do think I know the answer to that... I think dimmable means that you can change the output to the bulb. I saw a video on YouTube today where this guy was using the knob on the unit to switch through four to five different wattages which was 'dimming' the bulb. It was cool and makes me want to buy it. :D

Archived