Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

I bought a rose tip and huge zoa colony. I have no self control.

lmao I should never have recommended that store. The only thing that limits me in buying corals is the space to put them in the tank... I'm scared for when I eventually get a house and have to buy colonies....

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk what I'm gonna do with this colony. $30 for a frag or $100 for a giant rock with multiple types of zoa? Makes it too easy to make the decision.

Idk what I'm gonna do with this colony. $30 for a frag or $100 for a giant rock with multiple types of zoa? Makes it too easy to make the decision.

Pic? Was that one of the ones in the first tub? Those are nice!

I just threw it in the tank so it is closed up. Not sure which tank but they had like 4 huge colonies.

I want to epoxy the rock the rose tip came on, but then I don't want a random dumb looking rock piece if it moves. Lol

Thanks man! I'm loving this underwater cam now that I can fit my hand into the tank to take the pic. Impossible with the biocube.

OK, I was finally able to snap a pic of this crab. I have two of them in the same rock. Looks like they are burrowers, but not sure of anything else. Anyone know anything about them?

IMG_7385.jpg

Just wanted to drop in and say your tank is beautiful :) I really like the dimensions, its super clean looking. Very nice choice of livestock as well!

Just wanted to drop in and say your tank is beautiful :) I really like the dimensions, its super clean looking. Very nice choice of livestock as well!

Thank you! You know I almost can't believe I've had some of these critters as long as I have. Been through several fish in the last three +/- years, but Jacques (fire shrimp) the Pom Pom and a few others have been with me through thick an thin. Anyway, thanks for the compliment.

I bought a rose tip and huge zoa colony. I have no self control.

Story of my life......

Pschom I <3 your nem lol....let me know if it splits. Haha it almost looks like a purple rain

Story of my life......

Pschom I <3 your nem lol....let me know if it splits. Haha it almost looks like a purple rain

Oh it's a heart. Call me an idiot but I just got that. Anyway, thanks. I've been calling it Purple Nurples, but I guess that works too. Lol.

Alk and Calc test begins to observe the consumption in 24 hours

10:30 AM Wednesday

Alk @ 8.0

Calc @ 430

Both of these are surprisingly higher than I thought they would be. I did a 10 g WC on Monday and since then have dosed once with the recommended amounts. Neither here nor there.

On another note I started flushing my RO filters for 10 minutes prior to making water. I think (maybe placebo) that this is helping. Not getting any of that settled bottom water from the RO filter. No other big changes.

Skimmer is skimming a ton a nasty crap out. I put a filter sock over the skimmer return valve and it's quiet. It amazes me that the sock is already turning brown in that area.

Alk and Calc test begins to observe the consumption in 24 hours

10:30 AM Wednesday

Alk @ 8.0

Calc @ 430

Friday morning results. I decided to wait another 24 as the results Thursday were really not that different from Wednesday. And strangely enough, the results today are not that different and seem wrong to me, but it is what it is.

Alk @ 7.4

Calc @ 450 which is concerning because that's more than it was two days ago and I stopped dosing for this test. Wtf.

So I dosed 10ml of Alk and will test tomorrow at 10. That should be enough to understand it as much as I need. On another note, with the weather change my evaporation has decreased dramatically. That doesn't make any sense to me either.

Gotta love those see thru tank shots! Very nice.

What kind of testing kits do you use?

Thanks! API for the basic stuff. I have two Salifert test kits for alk and calc that I've had for a couple years actually. They are just starting to run out. I thought they were pretty accurate, but I don't get why I'm getting a higher calc reading after two days of not adding anything...

They have really done well. All of them are developing a different color pattern than when I picked them up. As soon as they start growing on that rock I'll frag u some if u really want.

mygolfisslow
Thanks! API for the basic stuff. I have two Salifert test kits for alk and calc that I've had for a couple years actually. They are just starting to run out. I thought they were pretty accurate, but I don't get why I'm getting a higher calc reading after two days of not adding anything...

that is odd. not sure why that would happen did you retest to make sure you didnt mess up. if i get an odd result i always retest. i hope you can get your dosing worked out i just got my perams where i want the after about a two months alk at 11 and cal at 440. its about 8ml buffer and 6ml cal twice a day. i am already seeing better growth.

Archived