Innovative Marine Aquariums

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

Man, I love this tank! Was that two zoas planted on a monti frag?

Thanks dude! Pfffft, yeah. I don't think they noticed at Mr. Coral. It was totally bleached and looked like a rock. Immediately began to color up in my tank. Tells you something bout Mr. Coral..... Looks like a green encrusting monti, but it's still coloring so we will see. I have no clue if one will harm the other. I guess I'll find that out as well.

Thanks again for liking it!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last official day of my vacation. :cry; (yes I made up my own emoticon) so me and the kid tool a trip to That Fish Place. Man, there's so much stuff in there....and I want it all. But sadly I can't so to ease my pain I got a Maxima Clam and a Ponape Birds Nest that's a frag, but looks like a mini colony. The ends are so pointy and sharp. Looks really cool. Hopefully I can retain it's color until the protein skimmer comes next month.

I'm going with a Reef Octopus rated for twice my volume. It'll fit in the sump nice even with all the other crap in there. I'm also going with a BRS reactor for carbon and phos-ban. I used to hear reactor and think 'omg that sounds difficult' but it's a simple concept and the cost is probably less than buying a bag of chemi-pure every six months.

On a side note, I was bamboozled for my 16H sump/tank by an LFS. Got it for $40 and found it at TFP for $26! I think I'm officially going to not shop there for anything until I look it up somewhere else. I even found that I paid a little too much for my tank. Oh well. Live and learn....

I posted this on saltwatercoral's thread and thought there was a place for it here.

So far these are the top ranking, or worth mentioning Local Fish Stores in Maryland and surrounding areas. Of course I haven't been to all of them, but like everyone else, been to quite a few. I'll try and update this every time I go somewhere I've never been. Maybe even start a thread of it's own.

Here's my experience with local spots to get corals:

1. Aquarium One - Paul and Phil are great, but shrewd businessmen. They have nice pieces which they care for and don't just throw into the tank and wait for some bloke to come along and but it. Their shop is pristine and their assortment is awesome. Especially their new dry goods section with the propagation equipment. Plus I live accross the street! Tell them Pete sent you!

2. House of Tropicals - Ok, the reason this is #2 is because of the assortment. There are TONS of anything your looking for. And I mean anything. From octopus to anemones to LR and corals. The list of fish would never end. That said, their customer service is retarded cause they don't usually know what they are talking about. I've tested this theory...

3. Today's Pet - While this is not a fish store, they have saltwater and corals. Most of the time I find something I like and there are a couple of guys who know more than the average 19 year old knows about corals. They ate expensive so don't expect to get a deal.

4. Mr. Coral - As you said, they have a lot of frags and they're cheap, and you can always walk out of there with cool stuff. The only reason it's low on my list is cause everytime I go there they are late opening, closed, on lunch, etc. That is unacceptable.

5. Only #5 cause it's like 2.5 hours away...That Fish Place. This should be #1 but they are in PA... This place is awesome and IMO the staff is great and the selection rocks and I want to build a shack in the back and sleep there sometimes. If you make the trip take $200 plus if you can. You won't be disappointed.

6. Congressional Aquarium - This place is 1 block from Aquarium One. They need to get their act together regarding reefs. They usually have some cool fish and others that you don't normally see in other LFS. They are clueless sometimes depending on who you talk to. They overcharge on certain things and fluctuate pricing a lot. Seems like if they sell one, the price goes up. If they sell another, again. And so on.... They have corals, but they have no clue how to deal with them and their lighting and maintenance sucks a$$.

I don't think I've been to exotic aquatics. That I can remember.

UPDATE: I went to Exotic Aquatics. They suck. Horrible attitudes all around. I did find like two things that I'd never seen before, but overall I wouldn't waste the gas to get there.

That's it. From my experience anyway. There's some lfs in VA but I haven't found one without crappy selections, or flatworm infestations.....

Hope you don't mind mr puting this on your thread. I may copy it to mine cause I wasn't planning on all that, but I couldn't help it.

This post has been edited by pschom: Today, 06:27 PM

My first skimmer (first real one anyway)

IMG_3393.png

And a crappy picture of Maximus the clam. I should call him mini cause he still hasn't footed yet.

F5ACE988-17B7-4D56-8262-7005E09553D2.jpg

Nice shot of your skimmer receipt. What lens did you use? :P

I just placed a big zoa/paly order with Mr.Coral. Hopefully I get a good experience. Seems hit or miss.

Nice shot of your skimmer receipt. What lens did you use? :P

I just placed a big zoa/paly order with Mr.Coral. Hopefully I get a good experience. Seems hit or miss.

Awe man, I got this camera called SUCKASSIPHONE3GBORROWEDCAUSEMYIPHONE4BROKEINKEYWESTAFTERASNORKELTRIPANDMANYBEERS

...camera. I think it's from a reputable company.

People talk crap about Mr. Coral. I say if you find something you like...buy it. Does it matter where it's from? I can get a Polo shirt from five different stores in a 10 mile radius....it's still the same shirt.

Thanks. Where's your thread?

Ehhh dont have one :/

Man I've been trying to get the deep blue 30g edge for so long but no one here in my part of Cali has them.

Pics! And a low quality video from photo bucket!

Maxima clam (Maximus) and Maxi Anemone. The clam still hasn't footed on a rock. Every time I leave it on a rock I find it in the sand again. Seems to be doing ok??

1327797588.jpg

Clam. It's so small I can't get a good pic.

6922af83.jpg

I believe this is 'Jason Fox' Porites. Can't remember. I got them from That Fish Place a while back and never found a good spot until now. Note about Porites: they are HARDY! This thing was burried for a week after the pistol shrimp (past) hoarded it in his cave. It's spreading and looking amazing!

0c3bbc30.jpg

1327797590.jpg

I like this pic. Self explanatory...

b5c04d9a.jpg

New Duncans. 5 heads for $30 I thought was pretty good.

bb27a2b3.jpg

HITCH HIKER CRAB Haven't identified this guy, but I doubt they are any good. I think they burrow in the rock which decreases integrity over time. They haven't caused any probs to corals that I know. Found 2 so far.

IMG_7584.jpg

Clowns are notorious for wanting to be in the picture, but Fin is definitely an attention hog.

1EBC800A-9FA5-4F29-A8EB-A40A17F9AE26.jpg

One of my favorite pics of the new Premium Snowflakes so far.

26EFFF0C-7A19-46DF-8437-FF82260D2252.jpg

See what I mean....

BED37D25-A482-4000-973D-E9299CFE6258.jpg

And without further adu, I give you (drum roll), oh wait I haven't named him yet.

Purchased yesterday from Exotic Aquatics. I have found like four different names for this Blenny; Firetail, Yellowtail, Combtooth, list goes on. I can't find one for sale anywhere that matches this one. Basically it's a Midas Blenny that's velvet black with a bright yellow tail. I love it!

798FF708-5B8E-4F35-A335-AFF0F9CB9B1C.jpg

And some pics from my trip to the Bmore Aquarium yesterday. I love that place.

Of course you always have to start at the bublers!

1000000963-1.jpg

This turtle was bigger than me and in it's mid teens! It was rescued from a shore in New York. They had to amputate it's left arm.

1000000966-1.jpg

These are interesting. They had them in a species tank. They did not grow/spread a mat. They are growing individually like cold water anemones, but they look like palys to me. One was even growing on the glass...

1000000971.jpg

This Galaxea coral was about as big as a biocube! Give or take. I can't imagine what it looks like at night!

1000000974.jpg

This was a nice reef tank. One of two that were mixed reef, but I only kept this pic cause my phone sucks and it kept crapping out on me.

1000000980.jpg

Down to the Pacific Reef

1000000989.jpg

Now that's an aquarium! Not so much Nano.....

1000000990.jpg

1000000991.jpg

More pics.

Maxi mini and maxi clam. Better pic...

0373396F-DF04-4139-8D93-16BCC4052058.jpg

My fav maxi nem. If I had a good cam this would be sick! This nem changes colors based on light intensity. I tested it.

60853C98-E1C0-48D9-8890-CCAA1F6A940A.jpg

My humble SPS. The Tough ones anyway. Stupid over-sensitive corals. ;)

Green/purple Acro looking good and really taking off at the tips.

073664BF-6A46-4B10-8731-CF8D7E284F54.jpg

New Ponape Birdsnest. One of my favorites. I hope it remains looking like this.

3F164B7F-CDA9-4888-B600-7C8C8E0FE2D4.jpg

Nice pics dude

Thanks man!

Hey I finally find someone with the same Blenny as I! When I bought it, it was sold as a "Flame Blenny". :)

Awesome! I really like it, although I can't find it tonight. Hope he's still the in the morning. I posted on your thread. Thanks for looking!

Pics look sweet man, love your tank.. I just threw up a couple new pics of mine

Thanks. I looked at your page, but I didn't see any pics? Maybe they're not loading on my iPad. I already typed this on your thread, but if you cut the Rods food out your nitrates will be gone.

Something I learned fairly recently was to drain frozen foods before adding to the tank. This has made a big difference in how my tank performs. Nitrates are a non issue, and everyone is happy. I still have to do weekly wate changes due to calcium drops (dosing calc I would probably be at a two week water change cycle).

Below are two pics to illustrate what you are dumping in your tank if you don't drain the frozen foods. And let me say, Rods food is the worst when it comes to nano tanks IMO. About a year ago I cut out Rods food and nitrates went from 20+ to 5-10. Anyway. Moral of the story DRAIN THE CUP OF FROZEN FOOD!

Before

1000000997.jpg

After

1000000998.jpg

See what I mean?

I'm def starting this today, how u drain it? I know that sounds dumb, thaw it out and strain it threw the fish net?

Eh. Don't overthink it. Just put a cap over the container and dump the water out leaving just the shrimps. I'm a big fan of finding the easiest way possible to do something.

Omg I am finally done with this install. I thoroughly cleaned the sump tank; removing all rock rubble, macros and any biological filtration and algae scrubbers. Now it's a big a$$ skimmer!! My first real one. If this thing doesn't take care of nutrients...I'm F'd. Lol.

For 30 gallons I could have gone with just about anything. But I decided to go with the Reef Octopus NW-150-6530B and it's already skimming like a champ. Sump is so clean now, but I can't raise the water level above the water out from the skimmer and that kind of sucks. Have to figure that out. Anyway:

Before

1328678896.jpg

After (yes I'm working on cleaning up the cables)

1328678898.jpg

1328678900.jpg

1328678902.jpg

hey love your tank.

what are you running for a return pump. i have the same tank and am running a modified mag 3with 3/4in lines and my sand blows all over.

Archived