Cultivated Reef

The Inspiration (now VEGA powered)

pschom

it is never enough.

see if you have some lying around the bedroom.

[ hope i did not go to far with the humor]

YOU WENT TOO FAR!, although I doubt the pink fluffy handcuffs would look good on my nice contemporary aquarium. :P

Never Enough

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

water test after dosing with Kent dkh:

salinity 1.024 - lowering to assist in ich treatment

calc steady at 430

alk 8 something

ph 8.4!! hopefully it stays

ammo 0

nitrates 0

Nice params. Glad to see the ph is up now. Really loving your rain top off. Very cool!

Thanks. I'm happy about the ph. I was thinking about swigging to ESV? salt (co. that makes b-ionic) cause I could never get my ph right, but this seems to be working. Not sure about mg. Haven't wanted to invest in a test kit... Something interesting though, as soon as I started dosing the dkh, and put a bit of mg in there, everything immediately got better color.

Got some new corals today. Two from Mr. Coral and one that I've wanted forever from my lfs across the street. They would never sell it to me cause it was in a display biocube they had set up...but now it's MINE! Kinda pricey but it's gonna look badass. I'll get some pics tomorrow when everything opens up.

On vacation most of this week so I have time to obsess about my tank. Lol.

Wow the rainwater ATO is too cool...Awesome idea and execution.

thanks! I'm still pissed I can't get my red monti cap to look like yours.

Ehh, couldn't wait on the pics

Angry Sinularia. This is going to be sic once it opens up!

D390E760-9CA6-4D55-B4D6-3E7D187DCFEC.jpg

Mr. Coral frags. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it look like the two zoas are on top of a monti? albeit a bleached one...

8B1934A4-5E30-4F55-A18D-652A6C8ABE7B.jpg

Yumas. Doesnt capture their true colors.

45BECC17-9F08-4FBC-876E-ADCAEAEBC197.jpg

Hungry War Coral. I've had this guy for a while. never can find a good spot for it. grew it from like a 1/3" frag.

27A67CB7-B09A-45C4-89C5-8BFF567144A3.jpg

Clowning Around. Finally some decent pics after they've slowed down.

Splash

DF57FFB6-E900-4DED-9A39-D0F88D82AB2C.jpg

Bubble (so named because he goes after bubbles on the surface as food)

044D3D29-F89B-4C5C-BF91-ADC1FB9F81A9.jpg

splash again

3D35204F-31CE-4A4B-9545-87201415C638.jpg

'What?!'

DF57FFB6-E900-4DED-9A39-D0F88D82AB2C.jpg

The trio

4584ADE5-EFF0-4DDF-BC21-0FF197F4C26E.jpg

FTS

A85F4AF0-0B21-4719-9371-22F5F9CE383D.jpg

Deleted User 4

Nice ator system lol, btw I think you should frag your hammer/euphylia coral, thing looks like it's overgrowth. Really dig that wave in your pic above ;)

Hey Pschom,

I use ESV salt.One good thing about it is that it always mixes at 500 cal. and 1500 mg. It is always on the money and I have stopped testing it. This is two less things to worry about dosing for. My tanks consume Alk, especially the 10g w/ alot of stonies. Reg. WCs keep the cal and mg stable. Very happy since the switch to ESV.

Nice ator system lol, btw I think you should frag your hammer/euphylia coral, thing looks like it's overgrowth. Really dig that wave in your pic above ;)

Ha yeah. it's a torch. and it's probably the best one I've ever seen. I can't frag it cause the flesh of it connects between heads... I don't want to give it up but it's massive. I just don't think I'll ever get for it what I put into it. lol it's almost like a pet to me. all my blood sweat and tears went into growing this thing from this:

IMG_5006.jpg

to this:

2CC22023-4975-491D-8283-52C3069685B6.jpg

of course your right though...every time my wife and I pass it we say the same thing. lol

Hey Pschom,

I use ESV salt.One good thing about it is that it always mixes at 500 cal. and 1500 mg. It is always on the money and I have stopped testing it. This is two less things to worry about dosing for. My tanks consume Alk, especially the 10g w/ alot of stonies. Reg. WCs keep the cal and mg stable. Very happy since the switch to ESV.

thanks for the info. I just started looking into this. I recently bought a box of IORC so I'll have to run through that.

New pics look sick! Love those clowns.. And that ato is awesome

Thanks! The ich spots are gone but you have to continue the treatment and complete the cycle....

Sinulria opened fully today. I love it. I'm not really into leathers, but this is one of my favorites.

1000000935.jpg

Took the overgrown torch and traded it in. I didn't get what it was worth. One of the few times that happened. Sux.

Got some new frags. Nothing special. I've been thinking about duncans for a while. I need some corals that show movement with the deletion of the torch coral. I'm interested to see how fast they grow cause everyone says they pop out heads super fast. Also picked up a small colony of zoos. Next week I'm gonna try and get a Space Monster paly. Love em.

1000000941.jpg

1000000943.jpg

And the frags from Mr. Coral are doing great. I still can't tell what sps that is next to the orange zoas.

1000000938.jpg

Also, I can't seem to get rid of this brown algae on the sand. It's pissing me off. Light too intense maybe?

MeanGreenEyes

Subscribed...debating either buying this tank or the Mr. Aqua 12g long...now you've got me leaning toward the D.B...too many decisions...

Subscribed...debating either buying this tank or the Mr. Aqua 12g long...now you've got me leaning toward the D.B...too many decisions...

I like it cause I've always wanted a shallow setup. Down the road I'll probably get something like their 60 which looks killer in the lfs I go to. I think I'll get a good skimmer this time. I was looking at trying the Hydor slim skim, but I think I'm gonna go with a Reef Octopus. For under $200 you can't beat it for what you get.

12L and 30 shallow are def two different footprints. I guess the decision comes down to that. I'll have to check out the 12. Never seen that.

Thanks for looking!

I see, nice to know that you think the same as well lolol

Yeah it had to go. I miss it. Oh well. I want a frogspawn to take it's place, but not if I try another BTA.

So If we move out to Clarksburg, you're gonna help me set up a sump and all, since i have no idea how, right?

Thanks ;)

Ha sure. I have no friends, minus all the people on here, that give a crap about a reef tank. They all think it looks cool, but of course can't appreciate all the research and all...nor do they care. Everyone says it's too hard, too expensive (that could be true), etc. My wife would laugh, but yeah. I could have a beer and talk about fish sh.t for a while. Lol.

Sump is actually easier than it appears if the tank is reef ready. I'm sure a MAME overflow or JBJ kit it just as simple.

How did you get rid of it? trade? store credit? I think it's better that you took it out, looks better :D

I know right. Store credit. They usually give me a good price, but I feel like I'm loosing on that one. I also took the red monti in with it. Cap island didn't turn out as planned, but that rock structure in the front looks almost better with no corals hiding it. Thinking about getting a cephastrea (spelling?) and letting it spread on that.

Deleted User 4

Nice, you mean the big red monti right? nice that one was a bit overgrowth too, besides you still have another red small monti and a green one

I think I've ID'd the creature living under the front ric rock. I found a small crab molt near that area and tonight I saw a claw pushing the molt away from the hole. So...it is a burrowing crab which resembles an emerald crab, or strawberry crab. I'll have to look that up. Cant get a good sight of him.

Archived