Innovative Marine Aquariums

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

jedimaster1138

No swap this time. I've got lots a livestock coming this week already.

Cyano. Try Nualgi.

Ah. Cool.

I've been dosing ZeoBak and/or CyanoClean...if anything it's gotten worse AND my baseball sized Bird of Paradise decided to STN. Awesome. I'm going to just go bonkers with water changes now, preferably 5g a day, we'll see. It's about all I can think of that's left to do. There's no cyano in the fuge, which is good. There had been, but the caulerpa seems to have eaten it along with the po4 and no3. So that's something. Ordering new bulbs tonight too.

Ah. Cool.

I've been dosing ZeoBak and/or CyanoClean...if anything it's gotten worse AND my baseball sized Bird of Paradise decided to STN. Awesome. I'm going to just go bonkers with water changes now, preferably 5g a day, we'll see. It's about all I can think of that's left to do. There's no cyano in the fuge, which is good. There had been, but the caulerpa seems to have eaten it along with the po4 and no3. So that's something. Ordering new bulbs tonight too.

That sucks. I still remember losing my ORA green bird's nest over a year ago. It sucks to lose things and despite everything you try you can't make it better. I still haven't found a replacement for it. I will some day though...

Ah. Cool.

Give Nualgi a try.

Ah. Cool.

I think I'm going to second this Nualgi suggestion.. It'll turn your cyano problems into diatom 'problems' and your CUC will love you for it. The diatoms are amazing at starving out the competition, and when the CUC takes over what your skimmer couldn't, your skimmer and chemical filtration should help with the rest of the extra nutrients.

The Max is all spiffy and shiny. :happydance:

Just did a 10% water change and the PH dropped to below 8. I'm going to have to test PH of my new water the next time I mix a batch.

I'm not sure if it was the water change or the lower PH but zoanthids that have been closed up for a week opened back up. It could also be the crap I stirred up during the change too. Corals like crap.

Sam the mandarin and his sunken tummy is directly affected by my travels. He is not fast enough or bright enough to catch foods floating about like other fish including the female Mandy, Bella. He has to be target fed. He loves frozen brine but that is like eating potato chips. I am going to get another batch of live black worms. Hello nutrients.

I glued down frags and took down the frag tree, I still have some frags in the DT but they look neat. -_- Other than that, one of the Yumas bleached for no good reason. Has never gotten above 115-120 PAR. The others are fine and they all sit together in the same spot. Funny animals are funny.

The nem spit up food today, I was feeding pellets and it ate them but then regurgitated them. Come to think of it, it did that yesterday too. Had no idea a Yuma could do that much damage to an anemone.

Ordered more MP10 shields so that the sea slugs don't become chopped liver.

• Like 2
jedimaster1138

That sucks. I still remember losing my ORA green bird's nest over a year ago. It sucks to lose things and despite everything you try you can't make it better. I still haven't found a replacement for it. I will some day though...

Give Nualgi a try.

I'm basically adopting a simplicity approach from now on I think. Lots and lots of water changes, no snake oil into the tank. I'm even considering dumping amino dosing, not that I have been recently.

I'm basically adopting a simplicity approach from now on I think. Lots and lots of water changes, no snake oil into the tank. I'm even considering dumping amino dosing, not that I have been recently.

When your tank ages and is perfectly balanced you can also dump you phosphate and carbon reactors. Simplicity is genius.

The most ahmazing visitor came over today and graciously gave me some of his time.

Rehype!

omgomgomg

Swoooon...... THUD!

I can't believe I actually met Eugene. I mean I'm (just a little) obsessed with his tank(s), his attention to detail and that unbelievable photography. So when he agreed to come over with his camera.... omgomgomg

I've followed his threads for years, he has been someone I deeply admire. In fact I acknowledged him in my TOTM essay back in Dec 2012.

Screen%2520Shot%25202014-04-09%2520at%25

I had to kick him out early unfortunately :( as I had a class to attend (more on that later).

He took several pictures of my tank, I have to admit to being extremely nervous when he arrived. This man is a God! And here's my little nano and I felt sure he was going to say "so this is what the fuss is all about?" and roll his eyes. But as I thought, he is as gracious in person as he is online. Actually a ton more so.

:wub:

• Like 2

Funny thing was, the WHOLE family was there, my brother, his 2 children and my mum who is visiting. And they were all just hanging around so silent you could hear a pin drop. :rolleyes: Maybe I talked about 'Mr E' to the children so much they were starstruck too. :lol:

• Like 3

Funny thing was, the WHOLE family was there, my brother, his 2 children and my mum who is visiting. And they were all just hanging around so silent you could hear a pin drop. :rolleyes: Maybe I talked about 'Mr E' to the children so much they were starstruck too. :lol:

I remember when you met me for the first time. There was a "shrug", a "meh", and an "oh well, guess this will do as long as there's whiskey". Then there was a "OH! Tailes made cheesecake!"

:lol:

• Like 5
I remember when you met me for the first time. There was a "shrug", a "meh", and an "oh well, guess this will do as long as there's whiskey". Then there was a "OH! Tailes made cheesecake!" :lol:
you forgot Maxarooney. :slap:
  • Like 2

Good morrow people of the republic of reef. I am loathe to start my nualgi trial, the tank is so crystal clear and clean. I outdid myself in preparation for Rehype's visit. :rolleyes: The family was saying how I should invite fish friends over more often if it gets me to clean up. :lol:

Of course right now the tank is being fed so it's particle city. DT's has stopped making their oyster eggs, but I have a little jar of it. I dug it out of the freezer and dribbled some of the liquid on to the SPS. The ORA plasma immediately ate it and came back for more. When the SPS show signs of eating, it makes me very happy.

I fed Roggers Reef food. This is not the same brand as Rod's. This one is green and has veggies. Well to my utter surprise Sam the mandarin made a beeline for it and ran off with a CHUNK of the thing! :o Who is this fish and what has he done with Sam the Fish?! :o So I put another piece of it next to him, he's been hovering and pecking at something, not the piece itself though.

• Like 3
natalia_la_loca

I haven't started my nualgi trial either. Lurking on the nualgi thread to see if anyone gets definitive results. Yes, it's amazing what a simple cleaning will do...

• Like 1

More about SPS: When I feed certain foods, some of the SPS send out long thin strings from their polyps. These are misenterial filaments. Most commonly seen when LPS try to eat rivals, SPS filaments are not a common sight unless you feed them foods they really love. Today after feeding DT's oyster eggs:

Nasuta (or Subulata or Insignis whatever it is)

20140410_125636.jpg

Millepora frag

20140410_125710.jpg

sorry for the crappy cellphone zoom pictures

• Like 3

Hi Kat! Homeward bound. Can't wait to see my tank! That roggers food is some good stuff. My whole tank goes nuts for it. Pretty creepy/cool to see a 20" brittle star try to climb out of the water to snatch the food out my hand. Also maybe coincidence but since dosing the nualgi and performing a water change I saw some serious feeding responses from my sps like I've never seen before. Thought of you and should have taken a pic, but didn't for some reason. You'd have loved to see it I'm sure. I couldn't believe my eyes. Also patiently awaiting some bonzer pics of your tank from rehype. Ciao

• Like 1

Some changes are happening. New livestock. LOTS of new lovestock. Some fragging. Lots of fragging. It is going to be a salty Sunday.

First things first. Dr Pete is moving and selling his livestock, there were some things I was interested in so we each drove an hour to meet and

20140411_182622_1.jpg

omgomgomg

• Like 9