ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

Weren't you supposed to go see it?

Your nephew has good tastes. My favorite Iron Man yet. Don't let him beat you to Star Trek or you'll never be cool again!

My movie buddy happens to be the Tank Sitter who is far lazier than anybody can ever imagine. I could just go and see it by myself or with friends but it is not that important to me. Anyway, I'm putting my foot down. It's mothers day next weekend and I'm demanding a movie from the niece and nephew. :angry: and a mani pedi. :angry:

I'll take the nephew for the movie and the niece for the mani pedi. Win. :D

• Like 3

Busy morning again! Cleaned out the skimmer which wasn't skimming for at least a week, found the remnants of what might have been another bacterial bloom but who knows. The skimmer is happy making bubbles now. Changed the filter sock, changed the media in the phosban reactor. I am using BRS small particle lignite carbon for the first time and it is much much much better than ROX in the reactor. ROX ended up mostly out of the reactor in the filter sock or the floor of the skimmer compartment. In fact I spent a good amount of time scooping those particles out with a BBS net today. :slap: argh.

I'm going to leave feed back for ROX on the BRS site.

So anyone going to help me with how many days before I remove the first of the 3 screens under my T5s?

• Like 1
Busy morning again! Cleaned out the skimmer which wasn't skimming for at least a week, found the remnants of what might have been another bacterial bloom but who knows. The skimmer is happy making bubbles now. Changed the filter sock, changed the media in the phosban reactor. I am using BRS small particle lignite carbon for the first time and it is much much much better than ROX in the reactor. ROX ended up mostly out of the reactor in the filter sock or the floor of the skimmer compartment. In fact I spent a good amount of time scooping those particles out with a BBS net today. :slap: argh.

I'm going to leave feed back for ROX on the BRS site.

So anyone going to help me with how many days before I remove the first of the 3 screens under my T5s?

I would remove one screen per week. That's 21 days till full sunshine.

Rick

• Like 1
Really?! that is a lot of time. Won;t the corals respond negatively to the lack of light?

Well, if me, (because I have the time) I would remove the three screens daily over the day increasing the time span daily.

jedimasterben

Busy morning again! Cleaned out the skimmer which wasn't skimming for at least a week, found the remnants of what might have been another bacterial bloom but who knows. The skimmer is happy making bubbles now.

I started cleaning the skimmer neck every time I empty the cup and it has been working much better for me. (more consistently)

Changed the filter sock, changed the media in the phosban reactor. I am using BRS small particle lignite carbon for the first time and it is much much much better than ROX in the reactor. ROX ended up mostly out of the reactor in the filter sock or the floor of the skimmer compartment. In fact I spent a good amount of time scooping those particles out with a BBS net today. :slap: argh.

Yeah, the ROX is super light and just floats away. And if it had enough of an opening to float it, it was probably in there grinding itself and releasing fines.

Really?! that is a lot of time. Won;t the corals respond negatively to the lack of light?

Like I told you, if they brown, it is better than if they bleach. You're not really switching intensities, but you're switching spectrum, and that can bleach them just as easily.

For reference, when I was acclimating my corals to my LEDs, I started at 40% and turned them up 5% weekly.

I'm using my half burnt out Blue stunner strip for a moonlight. Might be too bright if it was a new module with all the bulbs working but it's not so it works. The hood is still on but propped open while the T5s are in place with the screens. I'm going to remove the hood entirely today! And then I have to think about dremeling the back wall to make the overflow sit lower. Mods mods mods.

I started cleaning the skimmer neck every time I empty the cup and it has been working much better for me. (more consistently)

Yeah, the ROX is super light and just floats away. And if it had enough of an opening to float it, it was probably in there grinding itself and releasing fines.

Like I told you, if they brown, it is better than if they bleach. You're not really switching intensities, but you're switching spectrum, and that can bleach them just as easily.

For reference, when I was acclimating my corals to my LEDs, I started at 40% and turned them up 5% weekly.

I don't like it, but I have no choice. I don;t want them browning or bleaching :(

Thought I would still the post I did on another thread in here too.

I experimented by accident with seriatopora. I had accidentally fragged 3 birds and glued them on to one plug thinking they were all the same.

Feb 2012

CIMG0765.JPG

April 2013

20130408_132604.jpg

Green, pink and yellow birdsnest growing together.

• Like 9

I've also got a clam in there that will not survive a 21 day low light environment.

IMHO, we switch lights on corals all the time. Most of us don't do special things when we move a coral from the LFS to home and the switches spectrum and intensity. It's not like you've got a tank full of unhealthy coral. I wouldn't be overly worried about the lighting changes

• Like 1

Taking all possible precautions but cannot wait 21 days to remove the screens. So I'm down to 2 screens already. I can't afford for the clam to die or the corals to bleach but I am keeping an eye out for browning. (Bit hard to "see" if you can imagine when the tank is so dimly lit.

eitallent

It is too bad you cannot cut a little clam-sized window in the screens. If you could then the clam would get the light it needed while the corals could acclimate a little more slowly to the increased lighting.

It is too bad you cannot cut a little clam-sized window in the screens. If you could then the clam would get the light it needed while the corals could acclimate a little more slowly to the increased lighting.

You know! that is an great idea!!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Clam window is the best idea ever. :lol:

• Like 3

Random Tibbs post of the day - I wish I was James Bond (not Moore, Dalton, or Brosnan btw).

nice tank, Kat. I am going to steal it.

Back to work!

• Like 2

/wave

Nice to see tank updates from time to time. ;)

Sorry about your losses.

Draco looks out of this world fantastic, and the new crabs look like a lot of fun.

... made it back to the T5 upgrade ... excellent!

• Like 1
JamesHL88

Damnit kat renamin your shiz again. I thought u had put a tank full clams in your house window. I was gonna be all like "that's boss"

• Like 3