Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

The Hanna checkers are more unreliable than test kits seem to be, unfortunately.

?? I've heard the opposite from a lot of sources, but I do remember seeing something like that in Kat's thread. Didn't she do a lot of testing with different Hanna's and get some pretty bunk data?
Mr. Microscope

So, page 65 was all chat and no pics. I grabbed a few last night. Here's some shots for fun.

I know I've posted pics of this acan somewhat recently, but the green wedge keeps getting more pronounced! It's become one of my favorites in the tank.

GreenwedgeAcan20140602_zpsda8e9cb2.jpg

Here's a nice topdown of my rainbow rose, the only nem in my tank with pink tips.

Rainbowrose20140602_zpse87397f8.jpg

Finally, my specked rose split the other day. It's hard to tell since the clones are so close together, but there are two there.

speckedrosesplit20140602_zps04e0fe83.jpg

• Like 6
jedimasterben

It was Nanotopia, hers were specifically with the phosphate and phosphorus meters, and I have experience with the calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate meters. The calcium one is absolute garbage, the phosphate one is meh, difficult to get it to test properly due to the solid reagent not wanting to be very soluble (and even then each sequential reading is very different), and the alkalinity one at least gives the same results (within margin of error) but they were never comparable to Red Sea or Salifert kits (all three would give readings that varied by at least 20ppm).

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

It was Nanotopia, hers were specifically with the phosphate and phosphorus meters, and I have experience with the calcium, alkalinity, and phosphate meters. The calcium one is absolute garbage, the phosphate one is meh, difficult to get it to test properly due to the solid reagent not wanting to be very soluble (and even then each sequential reading is very different), and the alkalinity one at least gives the same results (within margin of error) but they were never comparable to Red Sea or Salifert kits (all three would give readings that varied by at least 20ppm).

20ppm!? Dang! By all three, you mean all three Hannas?
jedimasterben

No, between the three alkalinity test kits. I aimed for right at 200ppm on the Hanna, the Red Sea kit tested at about 220ppm, and the Salifert kit tested around 185ppm.

The individual test kits were always within a couple of percent of the last test if I tested several times (which I did to verify lol)

• Like 1

I think it is all about process with the Hanna kits. You have have to be very precise with how much you solution you put in. For the calcium kit it asks for exactly .1ml which is hard to get unless you get a different pipet then what they provide. With all the Hanna kits, if done right and with the right amount of water and reagent I get consistent results.

I have had 2 red sea test kits go bad on me or come with bad reagents. Haven't had any issues with the hanna checkers.

• Like 1

I didn't realize the Pukani dry rock was different. That's very interesting. I hope it stops leaching for you soon! Sounds like you've got a good plan for getting rid of the algae and getting the scape changed. I can't wait to see this new scape you've come up with. I'm glad to hear it will still be bonsai style :)

Btw, that one BTA photo is just INSANE! You have some absolutely amazing BTAs in that tank.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope
Man, the pick of the BTA looks like you plugged in a LiteBrite- so insane.

Btw, that one BTA photo is just INSANE! You have some absolutely amazing BTAs in that tank.

Lol, thanks guys!

In all fairness, this shot was taken with just blue LEDs on, but even with day lights, it's an amazing nem.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Now I'm even more impressed that you can get a decent photo with just blue LEDs on :)

White balance + low exposure makes all the difference. I also tweek levels (historgram) slightly with photoshop, but mostly just the red channel. I find I usually have to lower contrast a bit as well.

Love that acan. Great picture of it!

Thanks jball! I'm planning to get a few more this weekend at a swap, though it's hard to plan those things.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Hey there all!

I went to a swap this weekend and took home quite a haul. It's been like two years since I've been to one of these. I saw a few local reefing friends, put some faces to names, and had a great time viewing the various livestock trends. On my way out, a met Mr. Saltwatertank. Nice guy!

I stopped at the table of my local reefing forum and got some awesome vinyl stickers that I promptly put on my cooler. I need to get some Nano-Reef ones on there too! Maybe I'll talk to Chris and see if I can organize a Nano-Reef table at the next Chicago event.

FragSwapCooler_zps89f00779.jpg

I'm having a hard time getting the pics right/accurate of my new stuff. So, I'm going to reveal my new livestock in small bits as I experiment with different camera settings. Here's a sneak peak. Feel free to throw out a few guesses, but anyone who knows me here probably has a good inkling what's in there.

insidethecooler_zps855a768e.jpg

I'll start out with what is likely to be the most unguessable addition to my tank. I found a vendor who had a whole bunch of tiny algae blennies. I've been wanting one of these for a while, but usually they're like 4-5 inches long. The one I picked out is seriously an inch or less. It's a real cutey.

Actually, it's not a typical lawnmower blenny, but the Atlantic/Caribbean version, the Seaweed Blenny. These fish stay a little smaller than the lawnmowers and from the brief research I did BEFORE purchasing, I believe they max out at a little over three inches. So, granted this thing survives the first three months or so, it should be happy in my nano.

I'm finding that it's good at hiding. From the follow-up research I did, they have cameleon like qualities and can blend in with their surroundings. I've actually witnessed the change and it's really fun to see.

In the cup, it was light and pale.

seaweedblenny0120140607_zps11fb25b0.jpg

In the rocks, it displays a dramatic change in color and pattern.

seaweedblenny0220140607_zpsc8bb0c92.jpg

That's the reveal for today. Stay tuned. More to come!

• Like 4
jedimasterben

I had a little blenny like that, got him from John Maloney. Picked at one too many dinos and bit the dust, unfortunately.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I had a little blenny like that, got him from John Maloney. Picked at one too many dinos and bit the dust, unfortunately.

Awe. Sorry to hear that Ben. Did it pick at other stuff? How did it fair in the tank other than that? Did it readily take food or did it mostly subsist off the algae in the tank?
jedimasterben

Awe. Sorry to hear that Ben. Did it pick at other stuff? How did it fair in the tank other than that? Did it readily take food or did it mostly subsist off the algae in the tank?

I couldn't tell you. It was so reclusive that I was even unable to get more than this picture of it.

2013_03_20__20_41_06.jpg

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I couldn't tell you. It was so reclusive that I was even unable to get more than this picture of it.

How long did you have it?
jedimasterben

A few weeks maybe? Maybe a month. Thing was a damned yeti, so it could have lasted for months longer and I would have probably never known lol.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Always exciting seeing new things! I never heard of a seaweed blenny .

I lost track of him for a couple days, but caught sight of him last night and tried feeding a little. I'm paranoid about him disappearing.

So, here's reveal number two. This was a last minute purchase with the remaining money in my wallet. I'd been looking at so many acans that day and I thought this was just a really deflated colony. When I got home, I did a face palm as I immediately realized that it was actually a really puffy favia! lol! Not too bad looking though. The base is teal/metalic green with reddish/purple mouths. Glows like crazy in the blues.

Favia0120140607_zps609d1f2c.jpg

• Like 4
Mr. Microscope

Any dinos sightings lately?

Turns out some of mine were probably chillin' out inside corals' stomachs. Yay.

IMG_7635.jpg

Nope. I did see some bubble forming under a rock, but no actual dinos for at least two months now. Funny you mention the zoas cause I noticed that my CAR's a expelled their zoo at about the same time I got dinos. Wondering if that might have been the cause.
jedimasterben

Nope. I did see some bubble forming under a rock, but no actual dinos for at least two months now. Funny you mention the zoas cause I noticed that my CAR's a expelled their zoo at about the same time I got dinos. Wondering if that might have been the cause.

It's possible. SPS and zoanthids seem to be the most irritated by dinos, at least with my particular species. Leathers don't seem to like them, either, they get stuck in their polyps and just close up. Gorgs die with prolonged contact.