inTank Media Baskets

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Hello All,

It's that time of the month again for an update on the status of the tank. FTS to start!

FTS20140622_zps7c51597e.jpg

You can see that the nems are finally starting to take off and really fill out the top of the pillar. I kinda went bananas taking shots of them from different angles of the tank last night. No top down, so the colors aren't quite there, but you'll get the idea. As you can see, my clowns are in heaven.

nems0320140622_zpse63d4e2f.jpg

nems0420140622_zps0b4cfee4.jpg

nems0620140622_zps36dc1290.jpg

nems0820140622_zpsee20ea65.jpg

nems0520140622_zps22e61372.jpg

nems0920140622_zpsc2e63b4a.jpg

I'm not really sure what the deal is here, but I think it's brown jelly. I'm probably going to lose my beloved gold torch.

goldtorch20140622_zps72c5e28a.jpg

On the plus side, my green torch is looking better than ever.

greentorch20140622_zps40833225.jpg

My acans are also very happy.

Those browny looking mystery acans I got are starting to pink and orange up a little. I'm amazed how fast it's changed in just the last week:

mysteryacan20140622_zps44f935a3.jpg

Also, check out the babies starting to mature in one of my rainbow colonies. I wish they'd keep that awesome yellow ring, but it oranges out a little as they get bigger.

rainbowacan0220140622_zps072d0808.jpg

rainbowacan0120140622_zps12d37073.jpg

• Like 12

Nice Eric.

Where do you want them to be?

The best IMO is to keep the 106/16/1 C/N/P (Carbon/Nitrogen/Phosphorus) rule.

I think the most reliable test kit out there is 736 Phosphorus Ultra Low Range.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Nice Eric.

Where do you want them to be?

The best IMO is to keep the 106/16/1 C/N/P (Carbon/Nitrogen/Phosphorus) rule.

I think the most reliable test kit out there is 736 Phosphorus Ultra Low Range.

Are you referring to the phos levels of my pukani? I'm waiting for them to get to 0.04 ish ppm until I use them in my aquarium.

What is this C/N/P ratio you refer to? Any links to some reading material? How do you test for carbon?

• Like 1

Your last acan is just crazy!

I am talking about phytoplancton and bacteria.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfield_ratio

More science! :)

Carbon is the most difficult part to measure.Although with other carbon sources like Vodka/Vinegar...even honey you can calculate the daily dosing with B/Ps you just cant.

So keep an eye on it plz man not to starve your tank as soon as your tank reach 0.04PO4 and NO3 bellow 10.You are fine!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Your last acan is just crazy!

I am talking about phytoplancton and bacteria.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redfield_ratio

More science! :)

Carbon is the most difficult part to measure.Although with other carbon sources like Vodka/Vinegar...even honey you can calculate the daily dosing with B/Ps you just cant.

So keep an eye on it plz man not to starve your tank as soon as your tank reach 0.04PO4 and NO3 bellow 10.You are fine!

Thanks Alex! I've got some reading to do! ;)
  • Like 1

Wow! Hadn't stopped over in awhile....looks amazing! Brown jelly...or did one of your BTAs give the torch a smack down? I had my RBTA stretch a good 8" and melt my purple torch. Love them 'cans!

• Like 1

That green torch to me is such a wonderful focal point. And those acans! Jeez Louise! Your closeups are insane. You capture the whole rainbow.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Wow! Hadn't stopped over in awhile....looks amazing! Brown jelly...or did one of your BTAs give the torch a smack down? I had my RBTA stretch a good 8" and melt my purple torch. Love them 'cans!

Thanks Jack! Might just be melting. Yeah, I'm pretty sure none of the BTA's got it, but they definitely pack a nice punch. My forearm will tell you all about that. lol

That green torch to me is such a wonderful focal point. And those acans! Jeez Louise! Your closeups are insane. You capture the whole rainbow.

The green torch is really growing on me. Especially as it's continuing to fill out and grow.

Thanks, I just noticed the rings on those acans last night and had the same reaction. :lol: Even my wife who doesn't share my passion for the hobby was impressed.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Looks awesome! Too bad about the gold torch. Same thing happened to 3 heads on mine. I ended up fragging it in half to save the other three. :/

Thanks Klein! Sorry to hear about your torch, but it's awesome that you were able to save some of it. I hope they continue to thrive!
Mr. Microscope

Looks awesome, Mr. M!!!!!! Those BTAs :wub:. Are you still hiding that new favia in the back? :)

Thanks Gena!

Yeah, it's in purgatory for the time being. I'm not really sure where it's going to end up. I might wait for the new rock scape before I mount it for good.

• Like 1

Wow! I didn't realize the BTA's had filled in the top so much. That looks awesome! I also just love your crazy collection of acans. Sorry to hear about the torch though :( I had my frogspawn lose a bunch of heads right after the crash in my tank but then I thought I had it stopped and then recently its lost a couple more. I'm not sure if its brown jelly, but it looks quite a bit like what's going on with your torch. I hate mysterious coral diseases/issues!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Like the pics except for the gold torch. I wonder if something stung it?

Thanks Mark! (see below for torch info)

Wow! I didn't realize the BTA's had filled in the top so much. That looks awesome! I also just love your crazy collection of acans. Sorry to hear about the torch though :( I had my frogspawn lose a bunch of heads right after the crash in my tank but then I thought I had it stopped and then recently its lost a couple more. I'm not sure if its brown jelly, but it looks quite a bit like what's going on with your torch. I hate mysterious coral diseases/issues!

Thanks Felicia! It's looking like my first BTA and the clone might split soon. Four from one! Not bad. I've been feeding my favorite uber rainbow one a lot. It's growing and I'm hoping it splits soon as well.

I'd say I'm finished adding to the acan collection. Now I'm just waiting for the new ones to grow out. There aren't many flavors left for me aside from the insane $300/polyp ones that I'm not willing to splurge on.

Sorry to hear about your froggie. I took a turkey baster to my goldie yesterday and blew dead torch crap all over the tank. :o

I'm second guessing the brown jelly thing as I don't think I'm seeing it, but something definitely peeved it off. I think it might be the change in flow. It was getting hit kinda hard since I moved the MP10 to the other side of the tank. I recently moved it to a lower flow area.

There is still one head on that looks like it might make it. I've got my fingers crossed that it'll look better tonight when I get home.

Mr. Microscope

Looking great as usual, sorry to hear about the torch. I just lost one just like it in my girlfriends tank.

Thanks CAB! Sorry about your loss as well. I guess they're touchier than I thought.
  • Like 1

Sorry to hear about the torch mate. Everything else looks great though. Me want a frag of rainbow acan one day.... please..... "shameless blush"

• Like 1
opaquelace

How long did it take your acan colonies to get that round and fluffy and large? I want mine to look just like that. Like little igloos of color.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Sorry to hear about the torch mate. Everything else looks great though. Me want a frag of rainbow acan one day.... please..... "shameless blush"

Thanks jball! That one came from Coral Kings.

Tank looks amazing Mr.M, that last Acan... WOW!

Thanks NT! Steady as it goes.

How long did it take your acan colonies to get that round and fluffy and large? I want mine to look just like that. Like little igloos of color.

I'd say about a year to a year and a half. They all started out as small frags with two or three polyps. As they outgrew their original plug or piece of rubble, I continued to add rock to the bottom in a continual growing ring. I'm on like iteration number three or four of that with some colonies. I feed them several times/month with pellets or PE Mysis. They grow really fast when you feed them.
  • Like 1
opaquelace

I'd say about a year to a year and a half. They all started out as small frags with two or three polyps. As they outgrew their original plug or piece of rubble, I continued to add rock to the bottom in a continual growing ring. I'm on like iteration number three or four of that with some colonies. I feed them several times/month with pellets or PE Mysis. They grow really fast when you feed them.

I feed mine regularly so I'm hoping they grow fast. My first acan frag had grown a few new heads but those disappeared after the pistol shrimp buried them while digging out her front door. I had to move it up to the rocks. The 2nd frag has like a ring of dime sized heads around the base. I specifically like the igloo shape though so it's good to know you can achieve it by adding rubble to the base.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I feed mine regularly so I'm hoping they grow fast. My first acan frag had grown a few new heads but those disappeared after the pistol shrimp buried them while digging out her front door. I had to move it up to the rocks. The 2nd frag has like a ring of dime sized heads around the base. I specifically like the igloo shape though so it's good to know you can achieve it by adding rubble to the base.

Yes, it's much better to use a series of small rubble pieces rather than one or two large rocks. If you go the large rock rout, unless it lines up really well, you get large gaps and overhangs that take a acans a lot longer to overcome and spread on to.
FlowerMama

Well that was educational alright, I had no idea how to make perfect mounds. Didn't know you had to make it do that. I just thought there must be a kind that mounds, and another that doesn't. You learn something every day. Love this hobby.

• Like 2