SaltCritters.com

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

Amazing vid, kudos to you micro

Thanks RM!

What you think of this actually working? I immediately thought about being able to identify algaes with it, but how flippin cool would it be to get a lifeproof case and use this inside the tank?

http://www.instructables.com/id/10-Smartphone-to-digital-microscope-conversion/

There's definite potential there depending on the macro function of the phone.

Nice video. Good luck with the move.

Thanks NS! I'm moving this weekend, and probably move the tank Memorial Day weekend. Only one water change left! I can't afford to do an upgrade at the moment, but I have some rather big changes planned for the near future. I just received my order from BRS to refill on some basics (Carbon, etc.) and I also added some pukani and branch rock in the order. You can venture a guess from there.
  • Like 2
Mr. Microscope

My Orchid Dottyback, "Dotty" or, "Purple fish" as my toddler called her went MIA yesterday.. :tears:

There's no sign of any stress on the tank/corals. So, it either jumped (somehow between the tiny gap of the lid), or died and got eaten right away. I haven't found a corpse or any remains. I've even checked my sump (my tailspot blenny jumped the overflow and eneded up in there a long time ago).

I'll miss you Dotty. You were a perfect fish citizen.

I lost one of my stoplight cardinals that way. I have very little in my tank to hide and my tank is recessed, still couldn't find him anywhere to this day

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I lost an anthias last week in the same way, so frustrating,it was healthy and I never found the body.

I lost one of my stoplight cardinals that way. I have very little in my tank to hide and my tank is recessed, still couldn't find him anywhere to this day

Sorry to hear about the dottyback :(

:grouphug:

Yeah, it's weird. She was happy and eating. No signs of stress. We'll see if I find a shriveled up purple thing amidst everything when I move the tank next week.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

By then it'll be a brown pork rind looking thing. Lol ;)

lol! You're probably right. I've got my holding tank set up now. I'll be doing the big tear down on Saturday. We'll see if it pops up.
Mr. Microscope

Hey there fellow Nano-Reefies!

I thought I'd give a brief update on the move. I have my holding tank setup and I think I'll grab a few pieces of livestock(probably the acans) tonight (when I go over to feed the fish) and move them to the the holding tank. I'll grab a pic of the holding tank later, but it's basically just a 20 gallon rubbermade bin sitting on a rolling kitchen cart.

Here's the last pics of the setup in my old apartment:

FTS20140520_zpscc53e66a.jpg

Wholesetup20140520_zps1ef0b8a6.jpg

RightSideFTS20140520_zps21364bdd.jpg

As I've mentioned before, I can't afford to do an upgrade at the moment, but I'm strongly considering a rescape to shake things up a little. I bought 15 lbs. of Pukani and 5 lbs. of branch rock from BRS. I'm not 100% sure that I'm going to execute the change, but if I can come up with a decent looking structure, I'll put it into play. I already have someone interested in purchasing the pillar. So, it'll have a new home as soon as I'm ready to make the change. Of course, 90% of the corals will be coming off of it first. Here's the rock (sorry for the crappy pic):

Pukani_zpsc3a46831.jpg

I'm definitely impressed by the look and feel of this stuff. I just hope I can come up with something cool as I don't final vision in mind like I did for the pillar.

BTW, I'm definitely planning to acid treat this rock. It's amazing how much organic crap is still inside of it. I even found a whole crab molt in one of the pieces, lol!

CrabinPukani_zps45b449b8.jpg

Here's the new final destination in my new apartment:

Newtankspot20140520_zpsdbba32da.jpg

Since the tank will sit on an angle, I won't be able to utilize the bracket system I have in place for suspending the LED's over the tank. I'm thinking I'll have to hang from the ceiling.

More action soon!

• Like 10
Mr. Microscope

Here's the holding tank in place in my closet. I made up about eight gallons of fresh SW and added about 4 gallons of water from my tank when I moved over the acans last night. I checked this morning and everything looks healthy.

holdingtank20140523_zpsc5032f00.jpg

For equipment, the holding tank just consists of one of my 150 Watt heaters and the WP-10.

I also removed my LED's last night. I'm planing to get the light hung up tonight so it's already in place when I move the whole setup over tomorrow.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I also removed my LED's last night. I'm planing to get the light hung up tonight so it's already in place when I move the whole setup over tomorrow.

Now would be a good time to make any changes if you wanted to :)

• Like 2
Mr. Microscope

I finished moving and setting up the tank. There's still a bunch of loose frags here and there and I have to remount a bunch of stuff, but everything made it with the exception of one. I guess the stress of the move was too much for my bangaii cardinal. He died in my holding tank the night before I transferred everything over. Poor guy. I'm down to just the clowns now.

Here's the state of things.

allmovedin20140526_zps666f1089.jpg

I had the tank all set up by the end of the day on Sunday and let everything run overnight with some carbon, skimmer, and some filter socks. It ended up about 50% old tank water and 50% freshly made. The water pressure in my new apartment seems higher. So, I can make water a lot faster now.

On Monday, I moved over all the livestock and put the light in place. Yesterday, I executed some cord management.

cordcleanup_zps15b0a106.jpg

I bought this grey thing. It makes things look a little cleaner.

cordcover_zps7518ffff.jpg

I'm planning to run the sump a lot cleaner this time. No more rubble and I ditched the calurpa (only chaetomorpha in the fuge now). I also added a tumbler with some biopellets and started with about 10mL. I'm going to let that run for a few weeks before I add any more. I doubt I'll get up to the recommended 100mL anytime in the next six months.

sump20140527_zps7eba3990.jpg

I also did a muriatic acid treatment with my new pukani yesterday. I think I need to do one more acid wash and then I'll be ready to play around. The plan is to let it sit in some RODI for a while with a few changes while testing for phosphates, then transfer to salt, and colonize with some bacteria. I think perhaps I'll use some bottled stuff rather than risk to contaminate my new rock with the algaes in my rubble.

• Like 6

I'm glad all the corals transferred over ok. Looking good so far :) I really love how the tank looks in that corner with the brick wall. Sorry to hear about the Bangaii though!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I'm glad all the corals transferred over ok. Looking good so far :) I really love how the tank looks in that corner with the brick wall. Sorry to hear about the Bangaii though!

Thank you Felicia! Yeah, I was sad about Bangaii. He'd been with the tank pretty much from the beginning. I might get another tailspot blenny if I see one at the swap next week. IDK, I might just stick with the clowns for a while.

still running 2 skimmers?

Yup. I still can't really get much if anything out of the nano skimmer. But, I figure since I added BP, I might as well skim all I can.

Glad to hear the move went ok.

Thanks markalot!

Looks awesome, Mr. M!!!! I love that brick backdrop for the tank :). I have a BTA now too and another coming tomorrow :happydance:.

Thanks Gena! I'm really digging the brick as well. Congrats on your BTA's! I gotta warn you, they're addicting..

Love the brick wall, very nice backdrop to the tank. Looks like an awesome place.

Thanks 1st! I'm very happy with our new apartment. 2BR this time finally! Our old place was getting quite cramped with the our toddler.
  • Like 1