Cultivated Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

It's actually not all that complicated lol. The fluorescent red proteins that they have need quite a bit of light in the 550-650nm range, which the cool white LEDs present in basically all commercial fixtures do not cover with respectable output. Use a good quality, high-CRI white LED as the base and the problems go away :)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21748634#post21748634

Here are some videos of 'tank' dinoflagellates: http://www.youtube.com/user/YorickSanchez

Very interesting! I'll have to see if I can find any after today to look at under the microscope. Thanks for the links Ben!

I don't want to emphasize the fluorescent red proteins. They're already dominant without the warm white LED. Instead, I'd like to emphasize the other colors the acan is capable of. Suggestions?

Cyan fluoresces orange and may help with pinks. Blue (not royal blue, but the "cool blue") seems to do well with pinks.

...or T5's? lol

Polarcollision

Cyan fluoresces orange and may help with pinks. Blue (not royal blue, but the "cool blue") seems to do well with pinks.

...or T5's? lol

Thanks! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Red from Ben, Pink from Mr Scope. I'm sticking with LED for energy efficiency reasons, and bank account reasons, though I do love what T5 can easily do for a reef. Cherry corals goes overboard enhancing saturation in their photos, but the colors are present to enhance. They use 20K radiums, ATI Aquablue Special (12K), ATI Blue Plus, and ATI Purple Plus. I've gathered the spectrum graphs of each bulb, which seem to be heavy between 400 and 500 nm. Only the aquablue special has a high peak just to the left of 550 nm. I figure if I can tune the Hydras as close as possible to these bulbs I should get somewhat similar results. The Cree XP-E Green LED in my light is at 520-530 nm. Wonder if that's close enough and the reason my red colors are pretty good. Given the turbidity of water acans are collected in, feeding them the correct nutrition seems likely a part of the puzzle too.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Love the Acan Garden Mr M!

Thanks Friar! I can't wait to see it grow in more.

what's the bluish stuff encrusting your overflow?

Thanks for noticing.

That is encrusting Palmer's Blue Milli. A long time ago I bumped my colony and knocked off a piece no more than a quarter inch. I decided to mount it on the back wall an see what happened. You can still see the little nub on the bottom. Ever since then, it just keeps encrusting.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

I don't want to emphasize the fluorescent red proteins. They're already dominant without the warm white LED. Instead, I'd like to emphasize the other colors the acan is capable of. Suggestions?

Very interesting! I'll have to see if I can find any after today to look at under the microscope. Thanks for the links Ben!

Thanks! This is the kind of thing I'm looking for. Red from Ben, Pink from Mr Scope. I'm sticking with LED for energy efficiency reasons, and bank account reasons, though I do love what T5 can easily do for a reef. Cherry corals goes overboard enhancing saturation in their photos, but the colors are present to enhance. They use 20K radiums, ATI Aquablue Special (12K), ATI Blue Plus, and ATI Purple Plus. I've gathered the spectrum graphs of each bulb, which seem to be heavy between 400 and 500 nm. Only the aquablue special has a high peak just to the left of 550 nm. I figure if I can tune the Hydras as close as possible to these bulbs I should get somewhat similar results. The Cree XP-E Green LED in my light is at 520-530 nm. Wonder if that's close enough and the reason my red colors are pretty good. Given the turbidity of water acans are collected in, feeding them the correct nutrition seems likely a part of the puzzle too.

That should have been 'non-fluorescent' lol. Acans include a lot of non-fluorescent colors, all will be accentuated by the warmer diodes, I haven't yet found one that isn't gorgeous under 4,000K chips with some royal blue added in (until I lost all my acan colonies :( ). I doubt that you'll be able to keep the acans as colorful as other forms of lighting using the Hydra.

Radium 20K:

radium20k.png

Aquablue Special:

bulbs_chart_aquablue_large.png

Blue Plus:

bulbs_chart_blueplus_large.png

Purple Plus:

bulbs_chart_purpleplus_large.png

The AI Hydra color (normalized to 100watts/m2):

ai%20hydra%20color.jpg

The addition of warmer diodes is necessary IMHO.

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

Happy Birthday to your tank! :)

Thanks Felicia! I'm hoping to post a new FTS later today to mark the occasion. I also just renewed my N-R membership. I'm set for another year!

Saw the latest FTS for this tank, thats an insane garden... Tank has come a long way!

Thanks Curry! It's been quite a journey.

Hey there in Queens! Where are you? I used to live in Astoria.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Someone say birthday? Is there cake?

Yup! My reef turned two years old on the 28th of Feb. My wife proposed a small celebration with clownfish cupcakes, but it didn't happen. We're all super sick right now. So, we're just laying around blowing out noses. Even the little one is sick. Blecch!
  • Like 1

Thanks Felicia! I'm hoping to post a new FTS later today to mark the occasion. I also just renewed my N-R membership. I'm set for another year!

Thanks Curry! It's been quite a journey.

Hey there in Queens! Where are you? I used to live in Astoria.

Yep. I'm over in jamaica, but work in Manhattan 13th and 6th ave.

• Like 1

Yup! My reef turned two years old on the 28th of Feb. My wife proposed a small celebration with clownfish cupcakes, but it didn't happen. We're all super sick right now. So, we're just laying around blowing out noses. Even the little one is sick. Blecch!

You guys get better, and anyway clownfish don't care for cupcakes :P

• Like 3
Mr. Microscope

I'm hoping to post a new FTS later today to mark the occasion.

Screw that. I'm too sick.. Good night Nano-Reef.
Mr. Microscope

Hello All!

My tank turned 2 years old on February 28th. It's been an amazing journey, a mix of successes and failures, and all in all a heck of a lot of fun. I just wanted to take this opportunity to mark the occasion by saying thank you to all my friends here on Nano-Reef for helping to make it happen. There's no way I could have accomplished these past two years without all the time a care you all put into your own tanks, threads, and responses. This community it truly full of warmhearted people and is an amazing resource. So, Thank You!

Here's to the reefs!

FTS 2014.03.03

FTS20140303_zps0d0d4379.jpg

• Like 10

Congrats on 2 years!!!!! You've done amazing work with your tank :).

Hope you and your family are feeling better. I'm going to assume so since you were able to post a photo :happydance:.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Congrats on 2 years!!!!! You've done amazing work with your tank :).

Hope you and your family are feeling better. I'm going to assume so since you were able to post a photo :happydance:.

Thanks Gena!

I'm feeling a little better, but the FTS was about all I could manage at the moment.

I LOVE the green right there, awesome focal point, just pops among the other reds, pinks, oranges.

Thanks 1st!

Yeah, that torch is one of my favorites. I recently noticed that it has two mouths now. So, hopefully it will be two heads soon.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Happy Birthday to the tank Mr. Microscope. I hope you feel better.

Thanks Kat! I'm on the mend.

My skimmer stopped producing bubbles the other day and it took me a while to figure out why. I checked all the airline and CO2 scrubber and found no clogs. The pump was clean. Finally, I found a big chunk of solid salt in the venturi where the hose connects to the pump. It's amazing that this formed and somehow stayed solid underwater. It foaming up a storm now, but I think it was down for nearly two weeks. Luckily, my backup skimmer was still working. My water seems to have gotten a bit dirty though. Time for a double water change!