Top Shelf Aquatics

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

FWIW, I have been using a long pulse mode on my tank for almost a year now, I believe it is more realistic for corals than a short or wave mode, especially in a small tank. The wave mode works better in large tanks (>100g) IMO, ends up being more like a surge (back and forth). Just think of waves coming onto a reef, one at a time, giving a mild rush of flow over the corals in shallow waters (~5 meters) depth.

My experience with the MP10 is that the "Blue Mode" cannot give a slow enough pulse or surge, the interval is still too short for my liking but I use it anyway. If you or anyone else knows how to make this longer I would love to know, I'm thinking one pulse every 10 seconds for 3 seconds (roughly).

I have done dives on shallow reefs near where the water breaks, pretty turbulent there but corals are amazing from what I remember. I do realize that not all corals that we keep in our tanks grow in nature near the surface, so it's hard to make everything happy at the same time. I have a stag that is doing exceptionally well 2" from the surface but not so well lower down in the tank, and I don't think it has anything to do with light, more to do with the turbulence up there.

Old pic, this coral is getting out of control at the surface now, new buds all the time, ridiculous.

10912089175_7f2b023ed7_c.jpg

Sorry Mr. M, I know you have forgone the sticks :( but I had to comment with my own experience on flow modes. I think the nems would enjoy a nice gentle slow surge, and its really awesome to see those tentacles sway back and forth :)

Love the cleaner shrimps, too bad you couldn't put some anemone shrimps in there, make for some nice macro shots :)

Thanks Christine! I was hoping for some input about the pulse mode from a diver. I'm glad to read you use it too. It's very interesting how you observed different growth in different parts of your tank.

I'm excited for the cleaner shrimp! I haven't seen it all day, though I've read that they tend to be very shy when first introduced to a new tank. I'm planning to put some cyclope-eze in the tank today to tempt it out into the open. Everyone seems to love, "popcorn" as I call it. The shrimp seems incredibly docile. I'm thinking that I might try to train it to eat out of my hand in the future.

I was considering nem shrimp. I still might add one or two at some point (if there's no compatibility issues, IDK haven't done my research there yet).

According to Ecotech, Short Pulse Mode is between 0.25 seconds and 1.5 seconds for the MP10, and 0.3 seconds to 2 seconds for the MP40. Short pulse is really only to create a resonant wave in the tank.

Long pulse is supposed to be from 2 to 60 seconds on all pump models, however, on my MP40s it goes from 2 seconds on the first light to 30 seconds on the second light and to 60 seconds on the third light. At that rate, I fear I'd be here all day if I tried to time where the twelfth light eventually ends up :)

Very interesting insight into the MP modes. You're right though, it does seem like the pulse rate isn't quite on a usable curve.

Sorry to hijack Mr. M :wub:

No problem at all. This is all very intriguing.

Ben, from what I can figure out, you cannot run the pump at 100% power for 3 seconds and 0% power of 10 seconds. You know a way I will love you forever and ever :wub:

Maybe PM me is better, Mr. M's beautiful thread doesn't need this here :lol: .

Mr. M, are you going to keep the remaining SPS that you have or slowly phase them out? Sorry if I missed that, in either case, creating a surge (long pulse) with what I described above is what I think nems would appreciate, but as you know, I am not a keeper of the nem's :D

Really, the long pulse mode should have three different controls instead of two. There should be a max strength, pulse length, and time between pulses. Perhaps Ecotech will improve that with the next model.

I haven't given up entirely on SPS. I still have a saramentosa, miyagi tort, red planet, and monti satosa hanging out around the edges of my pillar. I'm not sure how they'll fair once I add the rest of the nems. I may have to move/remove some of them. They have also colored back up and improved PE since I stopped carbon dosing.

• Like 2

Just droppin by your thread to see how everything is going, it's been a long while for me... From what I've read your ditching the fuzzy sticks, changing direction & headed off to nem land.

Still loving my sticks but also I've broken down my MD & pimped out my old BC. Added some sticks & we will see how it goes for me. I hope you and your family had a fantastic holiday, will check back on your nems for sure.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Thanks Christine! I was hoping for some input about the pulse mode from a diver. I'm glad to read you use it too. It's very interesting how you observed different growth in different parts of your tank.

I'm excited for the cleaner shrimp! I haven't seen it all day, though I've read that they tend to be very shy when first introduced to a new tank. I'm planning to put some cyclope-eze in the tank today to tempt it out into the open. Everyone seems to love, "popcorn" as I call it. The shrimp seems incredibly docile. I'm thinking that I might try to train it to eat out of my hand in the future.

I was considering nem shrimp. I still might add one or two at some point (if there's no compatibility issues, IDK haven't done my research there yet).

Very interesting insight into the MP modes. You're right though, it does seem like the pulse rate isn't quite on a usable curve.

No problem at all. This is all very intriguing.Really, the long pulse mode should have three different controls instead of two. There should be a max strength, pulse length, and time between pulses. Perhaps Ecotech will improve that with the next model.

Actually, the firmware on all the controllers is upgradeable... all they'd need to do is release it! Well, then you'd need to have one of the new ones to upgrade, but at the very least I'd probably buy one and send it around to anyone that wanted to upgrade theirs :)

I haven't given up entirely on SPS. I still have a saramentosa, miyagi tort, red planet, and monti satosa hanging out around the edges of my pillar. I'm not sure how they'll fair once I add the rest of the nems. I may have to move/remove some of them. They have also colored back up and improved PE since I stopped carbon dosing.

Torts are one of my favorite acros (and I'm not a big acro fan). I would honestly leave them in there and let nature figure it all out :)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Just droppin by your thread to see how everything is going, it's been a long while for me... From what I've read your ditching the fuzzy sticks, changing direction & headed off to nem land. Still loving my sticks but also I've broken down my MD & pimped out my old BC. Added some sticks & we will see how it goes for me. I hope you and your family had a fantastic holiday, will check back on your nems for sure.

Thanks for stopping by fb! Yup, I'm going the E Quad route. There's so much to explore in this hobby.

Actually, the firmware on all the controllers is upgradeable... all they'd need to do is release it! Well, then you'd need to have one of the new ones to upgrade, but at the very least I'd probably buy one and send it around to anyone that wanted to upgrade theirs :)

Torts are one of my favorite acros (and I'm not a big acro fan). I would honestly leave them in there and let nature figure it all out :)

Good point. It's just software and probably could be upgraded fairly simply.

My tort is probably in the safest place of all my SPS. It's very unlikely that it will be bothered. The rest of them might get stung to hell when the nems come in though.

• Like 1

Here's a brief update while I await my order to reship.

I know that no one knows for sure why bubble tips bubble up. It is said that some are always bubbly, others are never bubbly, and some switch back and forth. When I first got my rainbow it was fairly straight aside from some tentacles on the edges. Mine recently went from straight to all bubbles practically overnight. I've been feeding it about every time I feed my fish, so that's one factor. The other factor however, and the one I believe is responsible has been a change in flow. I had been using Reef Crest Mode on my MP10 recently. Four days ago I changed to Long Pulse Mode. By the next morning, my BTA had completely bubbled up and it's been that way since. The only time it starts to straighten out is if I turn off the flow. Once I start it again, it bubbles back up again. The Long Pulse flow really makes the flowwy corals in my tank sway back and forth in a very natural looking way and the subtle sound of my MP10 almost sounds like the ocean (the first time I'm actually enjoying the sound it makes (puts me right to sleep at night)). It seems like slightly less flow than before, but I have it on pretty strong and the remaining SPS in there still have very good PE (perhaps better). Here's the pudding:

that is an interesting theory Eric....

All by BTAs bubble up and both of my MP10s are set to Long Pulse modes....

BTW, the Rainbow looks fantastic :)

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

that is an interesting theory Eric....

All by BTAs bubble up and both of my MP10s are set to Long Pulse modes....

BTW, the Rainbow looks fantastic :)

Wow. I didn't realize your's were on LP too. I wonder if we stumbled on something here.

Thanks Craig!

Mr. Microscope

Here's sort of a FTS, though I'm waiting to take a straight on one until I get my nems. Darn weather is making shipping impossible. Grrr...

FTSside20140108_zpsd26496d6.jpg

• Like 10

I love the perfectly round acan balls

^+1 The acans are looking awesome! I can't wait to see this with the top packed full of nems. Sorry the weather is delaying them!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I love the perfectly round acan balls

Thanks 1st! Me too. It's interesting how they shape themselves that way even when they're on some odd shaped rocks.

^+1 The acans are looking awesome! I can't wait to see this with the top packed full of nems. Sorry the weather is delaying them!

Thanks Felicia! It's amazing how they all started as one or two polyps.

The temp should be up in the 30's early next week. So, I'm going to propose shipping for next week monday/tuesday. I hope it'll happen.

Mr. Microscope

Tanks really taking shape. Such a departure from the previous look, but diggin the new direction Awe change is so much fun!

Thanks Zia! I had a nice text conversation with Matt from CC last weekend. Pending weather issues, he should be able to reship my order later this week or early next week. In addition to the nems, I've added a cleaner shrimp. The one I got from the LFS was dead the next morning. I was so sad. I'm not sure why it died, but I suspect it maybe wasn't healthy to begin. I'm also getting a little more chaeto to boost up my fuge.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

your tank is pretty sweet, love the shots-make me want a BTA

Thanks Giga! They're a lot of fun to feed, and I really like trying to figure out the mystery of why they bubble up. I can't wait to add the rest!

My clowns have not made the transition up there yet. It'll be interesting to see if they make the move once the whole top is filled with BTA's. Right now, they're still hosting the gold torch and it seems they have no interest in wandering more than a few inches from the bottom of the tank. My male(ish) clown seems a little interested in my new green torch, but the female(ish) clown doesn't care for it and seems annoyed when the other goes near it. lol

• Like 1

Really awesome setup. Love the colors and the placement. Just a quick question for you. It looks like your torch is pretty close to your acans. Any fighting going on there between them? I have to put at lest 4 to 5 inches between my frogspan and acans. They almost wiped each other out when my conch pushed them too close together.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Really awesome setup. Love the colors and the placement. Just a quick question for you. It looks like your torch is pretty close to your acans. Any fighting going on there between them? I have to put at lest 4 to 5 inches between my frogspan and acans. They almost wiped each other out when my conch pushed them too close together.

Thanks gahumphry!

It may be hard to tell in the image, but the acans are sitting on the sandbed and the torches are mounted above them on the rocks. I also don't have the acans directly under the torches, but rather a couple inches away. That way, when I turn off the pumps, the torches don't droop down and touch the acans. The height difference seems to give them enough territory so that they don't fight with one another. Though, yes. If I had both on the sandbed, I'd definitely give them more room.

The greater concern for me is that I have my Red Planet Acro mounted directly above the green torch. I've knocked it off the rocks a couple times while trying to remove algae and it's almost fallen directly into the torch. I've just been lucky so far.

Thanks gahumphry!

It may be hard to tell in the image, but the acans are sitting on the sandbed and the torches are mounted above them on the rocks. I also don't have the acans directly under the torches, but rather a couple inches away. That way, when I turn off the pumps, the torches don't droop down and touch the acans. The height difference seems to give them enough territory so that they don't fight with one another. Though, yes. If I had both on the sandbed, I'd definitely give them more room.

The greater concern for me is that I have my Red Planet Acro mounted directly above the green torch. I've knocked it off the rocks a couple times while trying to remove algae and it's almost fallen directly into the torch. I've just been lucky so far.

Ah, very cool. As I'm building out my bigger tank i'm trying to be super conscious of how much space is between corals. I had a colony of acans in my Biocube29 that was about 20 heads. I didn't glue it too well so when it got knocked over onto the frogspawn in the night they both tried to fight to the death. Only 6 of the 20 heads survived. The frogspawn shriveled down and almost died. Both are finally making a decent comeback (three months later). Thanks!!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

That scape just keeps this tank coming back for more. Is that a huge rambling setosa on the right side?

Thanks markalot! I'm not sure what you mean by rambling (is that a type of satosa or are you referring to the growth pattern?), but yes. It used to be a lot larger, but I've fragged a bunch off of it in the last few months. You can see a couple of monster frags of it on my frag rack in the third picture (and actually in the reflection of the side of the glass in the FTS's).

Ah, very cool. As I'm building out my bigger tank i'm trying to be super conscious of how much space is between corals. I had a colony of acans in my Biocube29 that was about 20 heads. I didn't glue it too well so when it got knocked over onto the frogspawn in the night they both tried to fight to the death. Only 6 of the 20 heads survived. The frogspawn shriveled down and almost died. Both are finally making a decent comeback (three months later). Thanks!!

D'oh! That's sad. Same thing with acros. You really have to give them like 4-5 inches even as small frags as they tend to encrust a whole lot before shooting up. In the mean time, they grow into each other. I made the initial mistake of mounting a lot of acros too close to each other when I first started this tank. When they settled in and really started growing, I had to move a lot of them.

• Like 2

Thanks markalot! I'm not sure what you mean by rambling (is that a type of satosa or are you referring to the growth pattern?), but yes. It used to be a lot larger, but I've fragged a bunch off of it in the last few months. You can see a couple of monster frags of it on my frag rack in the third picture (and actually in the reflection of the side of the glass in the FTS's).

Well, it rambled up the side there and now stretches almost from front to back. :)

• Like 1