Cultivated Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope
Holy cow! I think your other corals also love that mode. I've rarely seen my acans do that.

Thanks. Yeah, most of them stay like that now, even during the day. Though, they'd been like that before the change in flow. I think it depends on how frequently they're fed (more frequent feeding seems to equal more PE).

Thanks. Yeah, most of them stay like that now, even during the day. Though, they'd been like that before the change in flow. I think it depends on how frequently they're fed (more frequent feeding seems to equal more PE).

I do believe I have to feed my acans more then.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

awesome pics mr.m! :D

Thanks TKR!

I do believe I have to feed my acans more then.

I've noticed a difference between like once every week or two to several times a week. There seems to be a tipping point somewhere around two to three times per week or more where they tend to stay permanently fuzzy. Any less and they seem to keep their feeders in unless it's dark.

How long of a pulse are you doing?

It's about 90% strength and 90% frequency. It seems a constant on/off with equal times on/off about 2.5 seconds each.

Interesting about Long Pulse Mode. I'll have to look into it. I have the old blue box model but it probably has that mode???? I'm just curious what effect it would have on my corals :).

Gorgeous photos, btw ;).

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Interesting about Long Pulse Mode. I'll have to look into it. I have the old blue box model but it probably has that mode???? I'm just curious what effect it would have on my corals :).

Gorgeous photos, btw ;).

Yes, I'm pretty sure it has that mode. I'd experimented with it a long time ago, but I guess I never got it quite right. There's no standing wave on top, but it really looks like there is a constant swell inside the tank. I never thought I could achieve the hypnotic back and forth look with my cube.

I got the idea from a video I saw where a guy had a surge setup. The video showed that there were times when the tank was still, followed by a nice surge and the owner claimed that all of his corals were extremely happy. If flow is the way corals breath, this seems as close to breathing as one could get. I say give it a shot!

Thanks Gena!

• Like 1

Yes, I'm pretty sure it has that mode. I'd experimented with it a long time ago, but I guess I never got it quite right. There's no standing wave on top, but it really looks like there is a constant swell inside the tank. I never thought I could achieve the hypnotic back and forth look with my cube.

I got the idea from a video I saw where a guy had a surge setup. The video showed that there were times when the tank was still, followed by a nice surge and the owner claimed that all of his corals were extremely happy. If flow is the way corals breath, this seems as close to breathing as one could get. I say give it a shot!

Thanks Gena!

I watch youtube videos of natural reefs and I see the swell you are talking about, in nature. Makes sense that our corals would enjoy it in our tanks. I'm definitely going to give it a shot today :). In fact...going to go do it now!!!!
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I watch youtube videos of natural reefs and I see the swell you are talking about, in nature. Makes sense that our corals would enjoy it in our tanks. I'm definitely going to give it a shot today :). In fact...going to go do it now!!!!

like like like! ;) If you have your pump on the side of your tank, I imagine the same setting should work.
  • Like 1

like like like! ;) If you have your pump on the side of your tank, I imagine the same setting should work.

Ok, I played with it. Got it set and going but couldn't see a swell in the tank. I think my return might be too strong.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I need to get a mp 10. Is there any reason to get a newer one over a blue box?

There's a couple more modes and the new ones play with each other if you have multiple pumps, but if you can get an old blue box cheap go for it! When I first got my MP10, I pieced it together from a few sources. Got the blue box and wet side cheap from a local, and got a new dry side. I later upgraded to the newer control box after selling some corals.

Ok, I played with it. Got it set and going but couldn't see a swell in the tank. I think my return might be too strong.

My return is a Mag 3 (350 GPH (probably less with about 4 feet of head)) pointed from the back to the front. I don't know if that helps. I'm looking at my torches and nem to see the flow pattern. It's stronger in one direction that the other, but I definitely get some bounce off the wall.

I finally caught back up, tank is looking great!!

Thanks Suds!
  • Like 1

My return is a Mag 3 (350 GPH (probably less with about 4 feet of head)) pointed from the back to the front. I don't know if that helps. I'm looking at my torches and nem to see the flow pattern. It's stronger in one direction that the other, but I definitely get some bounce off the wall.

I have an Eheim but I forget the GPH on it. I think I just need to play with it some more. I probably have the flow too low and maybe not enough time in between surges.
  • Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I have an Eheim but I forget the GPH on it. I think I just need to play with it some more. I probably have the flow too low and maybe not enough time in between surges.

Yeah, I played with it for a little while. It's about equal parts on and off about 2 to 3 seconds each.

Look who just joined the ranks today!

It's nice and small. The body is maybe 3/4". I haven't seen it eat yet, but it's loving all the overhangs.

CleanerShrimp20131229_zpscd97b20b.jpg

Real nice shot there Mr. M, like all your other shots! What camera & lens do you use?

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Real nice shot there Mr. M, like all your other shots! What camera & lens do you use?

Thanks Mr. M (hee hee).

I use a Canon Powershot A4000 IS. It was a $99 P&S last year. I don't know why it's listed for $160 here, but this is the one.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUFLE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388376273&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+powershot+a4000+IS+red

Thanks Mr. M (hee hee).

I use a Canon Powershot A4000 IS. It was a $99 P&S last year. I don't know why it's listed for $160 here, but this is the one.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-Stabilized-Wide-Angle-Recording/dp/B0075SUFLE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388376273&sr=8-2&keywords=canon+powershot+a4000+IS+red

Wow! Quite impressive for a P&S. Did you take all the photos and videos in your thread with it?

Thanks for the friend request btw! :happydance:

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Wow! Quite impressive for a P&S. Did you take all the photos and videos in your thread with it?

Thanks for the friend request btw! :happydance:

Yup. For a given subject (coral, fish, etc.) I take a series of pictures and pick out the best one (if there is a best, otherwise I scrap them all and try again later). A tripod helps as does a steady hand and acrylic boat for top downs. The macro settings work very well, but the mid range shots aren't so hot. I usually use photoshop for post processing. There's often some cropping involved and I nearly always have to adjust histogram levels and take contrast down a little. It shoots video at 720p. The clarity is okay for youtube sized videos, but I'd want something better for larger format. For videos, I post process with Final Cut Pro.

Thanks for accepting ;)

• Like 1

FWIW, I have been using a long pulse mode on my tank for almost a year now, I believe it is more realistic for corals than a short or wave mode, especially in a small tank. The wave mode works better in large tanks (>100g) IMO, ends up being more like a surge (back and forth). Just think of waves coming onto a reef, one at a time, giving a mild rush of flow over the corals in shallow waters (~5 meters) depth.

My experience with the MP10 is that the "Blue Mode" cannot give a slow enough pulse or surge, the interval is still too short for my liking but I use it anyway. If you or anyone else knows how to make this longer I would love to know, I'm thinking one pulse every 10 seconds for 3 seconds (roughly).

I have done dives on shallow reefs near where the water breaks, pretty turbulent there but corals are amazing from what I remember. I do realize that not all corals that we keep in our tanks grow in nature near the surface, so it's hard to make everything happy at the same time. I have a stag that is doing exceptionally well 2" from the surface but not so well lower down in the tank, and I don't think it has anything to do with light, more to do with the turbulence up there.

Old pic, this coral is getting out of control at the surface now, new buds all the time, ridiculous.

10912089175_7f2b023ed7_c.jpg
Sorry Mr. M, I know you have forgone the sticks :( but I had to comment with my own experience on flow modes. I think the nems would enjoy a nice gentle slow surge, and its really awesome to see those tentacles sway back and forth :)
Love the cleaner shrimps, too bad you couldn't put some anemone shrimps in there, make for some nice macro shots :)
  • Like 2
jedimasterben

FWIW, I have been using a long pulse mode on my tank for almost a year now, I believe it is more realistic for corals than a short or wave mode, especially in a small tank. The wave mode works better in large tanks (>100g) IMO, ends up being more like a surge (back and forth). Just think of waves coming onto a reef, one at a time, giving a mild rush of flow over the corals in shallow waters (~5 meters) depth.

My experience with the MP10 is that the "Blue Mode" cannot give a slow enough pulse or surge, the interval is still too short for my liking but I use it anyway. If you or anyone else knows how to make this longer I would love to know, I'm thinking one pulse every 10 seconds for 3 seconds (roughly).

According to Ecotech, Short Pulse Mode is between 0.25 seconds and 1.5 seconds for the MP10, and 0.3 seconds to 2 seconds for the MP40. Short pulse is really only to create a resonant wave in the tank.

Long pulse is supposed to be from 2 to 60 seconds on all pump models, however, on my MP40s it goes from 2 seconds on the first light to 30 seconds on the second light and to 60 seconds on the third light. At that rate, I fear I'd be here all day if I tried to time where the twelfth light eventually ends up :)

• Like 5

According to Ecotech, Short Pulse Mode is between 0.25 seconds and 1.5 seconds for the MP10, and 0.3 seconds to 2 seconds for the MP40. Short pulse is really only to create a resonant wave in the tank.

Long pulse is supposed to be from 2 to 60 seconds on all pump models, however, on my MP40s it goes from 2 seconds on the first light to 30 seconds on the second light and to 60 seconds on the third light. At that rate, I fear I'd be here all day if I tried to time where the twelfth light eventually ends up :)

Sorry to hijack Mr. M :wub:

Ben, from what I can figure out, you cannot run the pump at 100% power for 3 seconds and 0% power of 10 seconds. You know a way I will love you forever and ever :wub:

Maybe PM me is better, Mr. M's beautiful thread doesn't need this here :lol: .

Mr. M, are you going to keep the remaining SPS that you have or slowly phase them out? Sorry if I missed that, in either case, creating a surge (long pulse) with what I described above is what I think nems would appreciate, but as you know, I am not a keeper of the nem's :D

• Like 2