Pod Your Reef

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Awesome to see you got the BTA bug too! There has been a torch I have been eyeing at my lfs. Its 4 head blue tip gold torch. The base area is a bright neon green though! I want it bad but I don't want it to have issues with my BTAs...

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Awesome to see you got the BTA bug too! There has been a torch I have been eyeing at my lfs. Its 4 head blue tip gold torch. The base area is a bright neon green though! I want it bad but I don't want it to have issues with my BTAs...

I say get it and try to work it out. Sounds like an awesome torch!

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Its not very fun to try to make $100 work out but I just might get it!

You can always just send it to me. I've got room for another torch or two. ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Mr. Microscope

Here's a small update.

I installed some new hardware in my stand. It's a 3 watt LED puck. This is the kind intended to go under cabinets. The wallwart is 500mA max, so I'm assuming these are three 3 watt (warm white) LED's driven at 350mA. I've got some wire mangement to do, but it really helps with maintenance. I'm also leaving it on 24/7 to aid in macro growth.

If anyone is interested. Here's an amazon link. Not bad for $12.

standlight0220140208_zps464a06be.jpg
standlight_zpse9305f88.jpg
sump20140208_zpsd23d753f.jpg

Another entertaining event that took place was the movement of my BTA. It decided that it would be happier on the side of the pillar rather than directly on top. I wonder how long it will stay there? As a bonus, my clowns seem to have taken notice that it's there now. No hosting yet, but some interest. Also, it seems that my nem is taking on some speckles. Does anyone know what causes speckles? I know some nems have lots and some have none, but I didn't know it was something that could suddenly start appearing.
nem20140208_zps8fc878c1.jpg

As another note, I'm starting to lose my patience with GHA again. I'm thinking about trying biopellets. Vitamin C really screwed with my tank. I'm hoping biopellets will be a little gentler and controlled. Any thoughts?

Finally, here's some more pics just for fun!
paly20140208_zpsbd3ceb13.jpg

I call these my Reddy-Red Red Acans. lol
acans0320140208_zps1bf4244d.jpg

acans0220140208_zps27f16c41.jpg

acan0120140208_zps05603c03.jpg

Finally, Crazy Ladies (from Jason Fox)
CLZoas20140208_zps1bc632c0.jpg

• Like 12
Mr. Microscope

looking into the same skimmer. you like it mr. micro?

It does the job. It's the only skimmer that size I've ever owned though. So, I have little to compare it to.

Here's a small update.

I installed some new hardware in my stand. It's a 3 watt LED puck. This is the kind intended to go under cabinets. The wallwart is 500mA max, so I'm assuming these are three 3 watt (warm white) LED's driven at 350mA. I've got some wire mangement to do, but it really helps with maintenance. I'm also leaving it on 24/7 to aid in macro growth.

If anyone is interested. Here's an amazon link. Not bad for $12.

standlight0220140208_zps464a06be.jpg

standlight_zpse9305f88.jpg

sump20140208_zpsd23d753f.jpg

I can't believe I did my other tank without an led light in the stand the whole time its been running. I use the one in my new stand every time I open the doors.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I can't believe I did my other tank without an led light in the stand the whole time its been running. I use the one in my new stand every time I open the doors.

Yeah, lighting hasn't been too bad since I'm able to open the stand on three sides, but I usually only open the front door. This new light makes life a lot easier.
  • Like 1

Acans, palys, and bubble look healthy, no idea about the speckles, must be chemistry related. Have you checked out the new BRS build, they are doing a nem/clown tank for their lobby.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Acans, palys, and bubble look healthy, no idea about the speckles, must be chemistry related. Have you checked out the new BRS build, they are doing a nem/clown tank for their lobby.

Thanks NT! Yeah, I'm really excited to see the BRS tank come along. It should prove to be a neat one.
  • Like 1
Reefmaster1996

I would light fuge on a opposit cycle to main display, for ph balancing and plus the algae need a break form photosynthesis or else it becomes less effective, so 24 hrs isn't what I would reccomen.

Sorr for type-os I'm using less fingers, cut both thumbs with a razor blade, while cutting up zipties, nothing serious, but still painful to type with

• Like 2

That BTA is so bubbly :wub:.

Does the LED light you installed do anything for macro growth or is it mostly so you can see what you are doing under there? I could sure use something like that when my grow light is out during the day and I need to fidget around in the stand.

• Like 1
CustomAquariumBx

Cool! I was looking at that exact puck a few days ago on amazon, was thinking of getting it to put over my skimmer. Do you like it? Does it get warm? Thanks.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Nice work on that light microscope. THe close up shots look fantastic, I love that nem :).

Thanks Rolla! It was a pain to install. I accidentally dropped one of the screws in my sump, but luckily found it with my long tweezers without having to take out anything. I put a plastic bin on top of the sump after that happened and it caught the screw like five more times before I got them secured. lol

I would light fuge on a opposit cycle to main display, for ph balancing and plus the algae need a break form photosynthesis or else it becomes less effective, so 24 hrs isn't what I would reccomen.

Sorr for type-os I'm using less fingers, cut both thumbs with a razor blade, while cutting up zipties, nothing serious, but still painful to type with

I don't really have enough macro to balance pH yet and since it can photosyntesize 23 hours a day (or so I've read), I'd rather utilize it for nutrient export.

Yikes about your thumbs! I wish you a speedy healing.

That BTA is so bubbly :wub:.

Does the LED light you installed do anything for macro growth or is it mostly so you can see what you are doing under there? I could sure use something like that when my grow light is out during the day and I need to fidget around in the stand.

Thanks Gena!

I got the light mostly for performing maintenance. It's only been in there for about a week now, but I think it's powerful enough to aid a little in macro growth. I have a 10 watt submersible halogen in there to do the bulk of the work for that though.

For fidgeting around in the stand, I'd say it's awesome! I'll post more later on whether or not it's helping to boost growth.

I'm dying here. Whatever happened with the anemones from coral collection??

Polar Vortex! I know. It's driving me nuts as well! I'm waiting for at least the high to be above freezing (if not the predicted low), before attempting to reship. I've been in contact with CC though and Matt said he found a killer Purple Rain for me. I'm really excited. I've been checking the weather with OCD enthusiasm and it's looking like next week might have some decent weather. I'll definitely post when the shipment is on it's way!

Very nice macro shots you got there. The texture is amazing in these animals isn't it?

Thanks Kat! Yeah, it's crazy what you can see in a photograph that just isn't noticeable to the naked eye.

Cool! I was looking at that exact puck a few days ago on amazon, was thinking of getting it to put over my skimmer. Do you like it? Does it get warm? Thanks.

It don't notice any heat coming from it. I mean, it doesn't heat up the stand at all if that's what you're wondering. It's a nice little light. ;)
  • Like 3
jedimasterben

I got the light mostly for performing maintenance. It's only been in there for about a week now, but I think it's powerful enough to aid a little in macro growth.

At the distance it is at, its really only going to do fill lighting. PAR would be minimal at best. Even if they had the output of a single Cree/Philips chip at 3w (probably not quite), PAR would be nearing single digits after ~12".

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

At the distance it is at, its really only going to do fill lighting. PAR would be minimal at best. Even if they had the output of a single Cree/Philips chip at 3w (probably not quite), PAR would be nearing single digits after ~12".

Good to know. Thanks for your input Ben!

dem pitchers are sweet!

What kinda par should we be trying to achieve?

• Like 1