Coral Vue Hydros

Mr. Microscope's Cube 2.1

Mr. Microscope

Mr. Microscope

dem pitchers are sweet!

What kinda par should we be trying to achieve?

Thanks Mike. I imagine anything over 50 PAR would be fine for growing massive amounts of macro.
Mr. Microscope

Fun pics time!

Here's a neat shot of my BTA I got first thing in the morning:

sleepingBTA20140213_zps30be20b9.jpg

I used a flash for this one.

annnnnnnd, a couple hermit shots..

Here's the zebra hard at work:

zebrahermit20140213_zps5e18e338.jpg

I've been feeding my hermits on occasion with Hikari wafers. They go nuts for them. Here's my left-handed hermit giving this wafer the full-kitten. It's funny to watch. It literally takes the wafer, and rolls backward on it's shell so that it's facing up, grabs hold of the wafer with all of his legs, and picks at it with his front claws. It's pretty cute to watch.

dinnertimehermit20140213_zpsa75eeadc.jpg

• Like 7

Algae wafers, I never thought of that. I might throw in a couple for my hermits. I know my brother has some laying around that he feeds his pleco in his fresh water tank.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Algae wafers, I never thought of that. I might throw in a couple for my hermits. I know my brother has some laying around that he feeds his pleco in his fresh water tank.

Yep! That's them. They make a meatier version too. I've experimented with both and they dig all of them. My nassarius get in on the action as well. Just keep an eye out for left-overs to remove them, though usually there isn't any as I only throw in one or two pieces.
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

What kinda par should we be trying to achieve?

For a refugium, I shoot for a minimum of 300 at the highest point that the macros would be in, with 500+ being better as long as flow is good.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Are you still running the same led combo and lay out, you have listed on the first page?

No, back in April last year I got rid of the cool whites and swapped in two cyan, two RB XTE's, and I swapped two of my four 420's for 430's. Here's some history for you:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/287207-mr-microscopes-cube-update-1332/?p=4299496

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/287207-mr-microscopes-cube-update-1332/?p=4311719

Thanks man, thinking of downgrading my 60g cube for a 25g cube, the adding a 30g Deep Blue tank. You seem to have good color with your corals and anemone, was just wondering what lighting you were using.

Tank is looking good.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Thanks man, thinking of downgrading my 60g cube for a 25g cube, the adding a 30g Deep Blue tank. You seem to have good color with your corals and anemone, was just wondering what lighting you were using.

Tank is looking good.

Why the downgrade? I really like the dimensions of the 30g DB.

Thanks Reefed!

Three :ninja:

Why the downgrade? I really like the dimensions of the 30g DB.

Thanks Reefed!

Three :ninja:

Just trying to do a few smaller species specific tanks. Been in the hobby for 13 years, just trying something different out.

• Like 2

I hope you find an anemone that doesn't mind hanging out at the very top, otherwise you may have to put more SPS back up there :D.

Looks great :) Your orchid sure is sociable. I never saw mine come out of the rocks that far.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Just trying to do a few smaller species specific tanks. Been in the hobby for 13 years, just trying something different out.

Awesome! What kind of biotopes are you planning? My upcoming frag tank will be entirely focused on keeping a mandarin or two.

I hope you find an anemone that doesn't mind hanging out at the very top, otherwise you may have to put more SPS back up there :D.

Looks great :) Your orchid sure is sociable. I never saw mine come out of the rocks that far.

LOL! Thanks! Yeah, Dotty is really active. I think she wants in on the clown's relationship. They won't have any of it though. lol
  • Like 1

Awesome! What kind of biotopes are you planning? My upcoming frag tank will be entirely focused on keeping a mandarin or two.

LOL! Thanks! Yeah, Dotty is really active. I think she wants in on the clown's relationship. They won't have any of it though. lol

Well The 25g will be hopefully full of anemones like your tank with a pair of Extreme Picasso clowns. The 30g will be all LPS, with maybe a monti cap or two. With a mandarin or two and a pair of Phantom clowns. I have a 14g biocube set up with all zoas, and a pair of snowflake clowns. The trend is I love clowns, more smaller tanks gives me more chances to have more clowns.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

Okay. So, today was supposed to be day zero; the day my Coral Collection order was planned to arrive. As it turns out, Matt didn't have one of the nems in stock. So, he didn't ship last night, and we missed the good weather shipping window. He apologized for the long wait; on the plus side said that he was going to throw in a cleaner shrimp and some chaetomorpha no charge. Another polar vortex is supposed to sweep through my area next week. Hopefully that will be the last one. As we approach March, shipping conditions should be more ideal.

The nem in mention, is a True Rose BTA. It's like a red BTA, but the base is a very deep blue/almost black, and the red is an uber intense red. He thinks he can find it, but we discussed maybe swapping it for a cool euphyllia colony if he can't. Possibly, a nice gold torch that would balance out nicely with the one already in my tank.

All in all, I feel kinda like this:

Sorry for the build up and disappointment guys.

• Like 2