Pod Your Reef

Hello everyone,I'm looking to buying an ai nano for my tank. But I have a question will the nano habe good for a tank that's 24 long 19 wide and 12 high?

If I run my lights on like 23 - 100-100 will I still have good growth in my biocube ? It goes up to 30 -100-100 during high noon but its mostly 100-100 blue and royal blue . It seems like sense they are so intense it will still grow right ? I love this 40k blue color .

thehobdenmarina
Hello everyone,I'm looking to buying an ai nano for my tank. But I have a question will the nano habe good for a tank that's 24 long 19 wide and 12 high?

I would doubt you would get coverage with it on that length. I think the nano covers 12x12 you would need a SOL for that length.

True. A month ago I was faced with this decision and decided against the radion bc their was no word on if it'd become Mac compatible. And now ai will have a iPhone app

^ this

Ok, so I started a new build. It's a Deep Blue Professional 60 gallon reef ready cube. I moved my Biocube from under the Sol and put the new tank under it. The Biocube has the MH fixture back on. I am retiring the Biocube over the next couple of months, swapping most of it's hardware to the 60 cube, i.e. MP10, chiller (if needed), ReefKeeper, Phosban Reactor (if needed). The new tank has the DBP Series 1 stand, Eshopps RS75 sump and Eshopps PSK100 skimmer.

aicube.jpg

Just got a call from LFS. Your black AI SOL Blue with controller and hanging kit is in. Unfortunately I didn't have time to pick it up today. I don't even have my tank set up yet. But I think I'll take it out of packaging and probably end up messing with it for a good couple hours.

Ok, so I started a new build. It's a Deep Blue Professional 60 gallon reef ready cube. I moved my Biocube from under the Sol and put the new tank under it. The Biocube has the MH fixture back on. I am retiring the Biocube over the next couple of months, swapping most of it's hardware to the 60 cube, i.e. MP10, chiller (if needed), ReefKeeper, Phosban Reactor (if needed). The new tank has the DBP Series 1 stand, Eshopps RS75 sump and Eshopps PSK100 skimmer.

aicube.jpg

GD thats quite the sand bed! Love the Deep Blue. And way to go on the screen top. Looks familiar.

Yay, I'm officially a member! I have to say I LOVE MY AI SOL BLUE! Its simply amazing and I would recommend it to anyone.

SouthFlorida_Tron - I just want to say thanks to you because I used your idea hanging my AI SOL BLue with the hanging brackets from Lowes, very simple and cheap!

post-72973-1342121052_thumb.jpg

post-72973-1342121073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bakenn

been a while guys how's it going?

so i've been fooling around with my AI sol, i have a rock thats pretty much all sps, however i'm not getting good color on them. some are brown or just tan, nothing is bleached. i've ruled out nutrients as i started growing chaeto and my water params are all great (i watch them close). but the color and brown-ness of the sps are bothering me.

so after alot of reading, i started to crank up the lights. so far i'm up to about 45w 100b 100rb for a good 4-5hrs for the day. i'm getting Excellent growth:

about 3 months ago

4c452657.jpg

now:

0524c4a3.jpg

all of the sps have been encrusting the rock very nicely, i'm also having great polyp extention.

but just to the right of the birdsnest, you can see a fat green acro, that's supposed to be very green and it's totaly brown. once again great growth and polyp extention, just...brown. i've stopped phyto or very rarely with half the amount if anything. i'm using that acro as a test subject to get these things to color up.

i think i'm going to do the upgrade to vega for that $200-$300 if i can't get these things to color up. maybe it's the lack of colors or something. anyone else grown SPS with these lights chime in please! i'm just going to continue to raise the intensitites and see what happens.

i know what you mean about the lack in color sps's corals get, i have been getting crazy growth from my sunset monti and yet its this dull orange. Other sps like my green slimmer is a bright green and is also getting good growth, and my ora purple stylo is a nice shade of purple. I don't know whats going on with the others maybe not enough food? But i do feed prodibio Reefbooster, I am starting to think it may have something to do with the lights since before the AIs i was using a M/H and got really nice color.

I've had the same issue with some sps. Just brown and it sucks. But I don't think it's the lights. There's not a consistent factor with tanks and LEDs, but there is with Po4. Problem is when I test I get 0. Over the past three months I've developed an algae issue and it's really annoying. I may start running gfo or something, but point is I don't think it's the lights...

I do think MH is a more natural looking light though.

Hey guys! I haven't been on this site for a loooong time. I have had my AI nano over my JBJ 28g for 5 months now. Ever since I got it, I have had algae problems. I slowly increased the lighting 5% each week and a half for about a month and a half. Right now it is currently at 35-40-40 (or something like that) at the peak point in the day. My question is, what do you guys recommend I set the light setting to? Is my setup too weak? Too strong? Before I got this light, I had no algae. Once I switched... BOOM it is everywhere. After I started seeing it I was like "OK, i just changed lights... this is normal", but it has been a while and I figured it would have disappeared by now. Thanks for your help!

I hear you guys on the phosphates. aside from running chaeto i also have a phosphate remover (api phosguard) i test every week for phosphates, and always reads 0 (with the api test kit). it's getting kinda frustrating. there's a big thread on reef central that i was reading and the people who have had success with growing sps with these lights have them cranked. i'm talking 100's across for 6hrs a day!

all i know is that my stuff is dull brown, pale, which is a shame because i have what should be some very nice colored sps. from my reading brown = not enough light so i guess i'll just keep increasing, eventually when i get to the 100's across i'll lower the light down abit closer to the water.

I hear you guys on the phosphates. aside from running chaeto i also have a phosphate remover (api phosguard) i test every week for phosphates, and always reads 0 (with the api test kit). it's getting kinda frustrating. there's a big thread on reef central that i was reading and the people who have had success with growing sps with these lights have them cranked. i'm talking 100's across for 6hrs a day!

all i know is that my stuff is dull brown, pale, which is a shame because i have what should be some very nice colored sps. from my reading brown = not enough light so i guess i'll just keep increasing, eventually when i get to the 100's across i'll lower the light down abit closer to the water.

I know SFTron has his at 100%. I turned mine down after a power outage cause everything was in a tank with a MH. I'm slowly ramping it back up. We will see what happens. There's a lot of different opinions out there. I guess we have to keep tinkering with it until we find what works for us.

I did read that amino dosing helps color in sps. Try that?

I know SFTron has his at 100%. I turned mine down after a power outage cause everything was in a tank with a MH. I'm slowly ramping it back up. We will see what happens. There's a lot of different opinions out there. I guess we have to keep tinkering with it until we find what works for us.

I did read that amino dosing helps color in sps. Try that?

anything's worth a shot at this point. i'll definatly let you guys know how it goes.

SouthFlorida_Tron

mine are only at 100 for one hours at the top of the schedule... the other 11 hours are scaled rather low...

i also found that removing a chunk of "blue" gives it that more natural light look, especially when looking at corals, it emphasizes the Royals a bit more... which i prefer.

00/0/25 @ 12pm 15min ramp

25/10/40 @ 130pm 30min ramp

50/35/65 @ 3pm 30min ramp

100/100/100 @ 530pm 30min ramp

50/35/65 @ 630pm 30min ramp

25/10/40 @ 8pm 30min ramp

00/00/25 @ 930pm 15min ramp

00/01/00 @ 11pm 5min ramp (my lunar phase)

00/00/00 @ 1145am OFF

Edited by SouthFlorida_Tron
mine are only at 100 for one hours at the top of the schedule... the other 11 hours are scaled rather low...

i also found that removing a chunk of "blue" gives it that more natural light look, especially when looking at corals, it emphasizes the Royals a bit more... which i prefer.

00/0/25 @ 12pm 15min ramp

25/10/40 @ 130pm 30min ramp

50/35/65 @ 3pm 30min ramp

100/100/100 @ 530pm 30min ramp

50/35/65 @ 630pm 30min ramp

25/10/40 @ 8pm 30min ramp

00/00/25 @ 930pm 15min ramp

00/01/00 @ 11pm 5min ramp (my lunar phase)

00/00/00 @ 1145am OFF

How high are your lights from the water surface and how deep is your tank?

I have a 12 hour photo period and mine are 13 AWL.

I have been adjusting my highest setting, that runs for 4 hours up 2% to each every other week.

I am now at 60/66/66 for a solid 4 hours. I am going to keep adding 2% every other week till I get to 70/76/76 then I will stop adding to the white and just make small adjustments with the blue and royal blue from there.

Everything is looking good except for my blasto's that were blood red when I got them but are now dull.

so does anyone know what this upgrade kit for the sol's will consist of? i'd imagine it would be the wireless controller, but will it let your sol have the colors of the vega? hrmmmm