Pod Your Reef

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

i love purple firefish, they are so beautiful.

Thanks Kat! I'm actually really happy they were out of orange firefish because now I have one of each and they both have such nice colors.

That's hilarious. Did the water get all furry? I find fur in my tank sometimes... I don't have a dog anymore but my roommates have two.

Yep! She fell in the tank while I was filling it up with water and so for the first week or so I kept having to pull hair balls of of the filter and powerheads. :lol:

Awesome choice on the purple firefish! I'd much rather have that little pretty than new clothes/purse/shoes!!!!!

Hope today is a much better day for you

Thanks, Gena! I'm over it now (that sort of stuff happens in research) and now I've just got to sort out a new plan of action. And yeah, fish make me much happier than clothes and purses :D

Oh that's right, you were gone when I found out. Turns out she was cheating on me, with her ex, and is now engaged to him. I'm not upset about it, actually I'm pretty glad I dodged that bullet. It just irked me that she didn't just call it off with me when she started feeling different.

Also, nice firefish.

:o:angry: Seriously?! What an evil #####! Sorry to hear that, Joel! I think maybe you need to make a target with her face on it for your shooting.

Me too! Actually I plan on going to the LFS today!

What'd you get?!

I just wanted to say "hi", and tell you how much I enjoy watching yout tank grow. I have 2 purple firefish that get along just fine - they are different in size and one is dominant but not aggressive, just a big brother type.

I also REALLY like the dive photos. My husband got me snorkeling, then diving, then into this hobby - he didn't understand my addictive side until now!!! Anyway, I am going diving in Cozumel the end of May and those pictures have me jonesing!!!

I live in the armpit of NY without any decent LFS or even places to dive so the pictures here fill a void. B)

Hey! Glad to hear you are enjoying my thread! I always like to meet another diver. That's unfortunate that you don't have diving in NY, but I'm jealous you get to go to Cozumel. You should definitely take lots of photos and share them with us on N-R. I'm glad to hear your two firefish get along ok. So far so good with my two getting along.

You should have dipped then quarentined those stem cells.

Seriously, what a bummer to loose all that work.

You deserve much more than a firefish, even though she is purdy. You have my blessing to go out and buy shoes, purse and some chocolates, its OK to be gurly. (once in a while)

:lol: What's annoying is that embryonic stem cells are too touchy to use antibiotics on, so they get contaminated really easily. We all have to be really careful and those cells have their own incubator away from the other cells to try to minimize contamination, but somehow the whole incubator they were in got contaminated. Oh well, nothing I could have really done about it.

I think the firefish was enough, well that and the fact that Lily could tell I was pissy and decided to take a nap all sprawled across my lap to cheer me up. I do like shoes, purses, and chocolates of course because I am plenty girly. :D

Good man! You were taught well!

And yes, Mark, you definitely were taught well!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just water, Nothing special like your beautiful fish!

Been forced on a freeze until we get the stand done and the tank on it.

SUMP has been leak tested and has passed so far, but it rained so I can't tell if there was a slow leak from yesterday to today or not, but the water is over the top of the rim so......

Just water, Nothing special like your beautiful fish!

Been forced on a freeze until we get the stand done and the tank on it.

SUMP has been leak tested and has passed so far, but it rained so I can't tell if there was a slow leak from yesterday to today or not, but the water is over the top of the rim so......

Its a good thing I make my own water and don't go buy it from the store. I don't think I could go in the LFS every week without buying something :lol:

Do you guys have any idea when you'll be done with the stand and ready to move the tank? I hope your sump isn't leaking and that it was just the rain. Good luck!

This is sooo cute!

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

I couldn't find the new purple firefish all evening and then when I fed the tank she popped her head out of the YWG's cave! She seems to be fitting in really well, and I'm glad that the two firefish are ignoring each other instead of fighting.

I don't know if you guys remember, but the YWG and orange firefish used to live together in my 10 gallon tank and even when I had to move them into quarantine. Then when I got the pistol shrimp, the firefish got left on its own. Then I moved everything into the 30 gallon and the YWG and pistol shrimp got separated and never paired back up. Now apparently the YWG has found a new housemate! I'm so entertained by the relationship dynamics of my tank inhabitants :lol:

That's adorable :happy:

Your new firefish looks just like the one I had. Not that that's surprising :lol:....it just brings back happy memories for me :happy:

Great pics! International cave dwelling! Cool.

Thanks! I was surprised I managed to get a decent photo of it since the YWG tends to go into hiding the second the camera comes near the glass. The firefish is also really skittish, so it was amazing to have them both hold still for a photo.

Look who's been busy buying corals. You have way more then me! Haha

I do have quite a few now, huh? I think you have more higher end pieces than me, whereas a lot of my stuff was really cheap so we're probably about even on value or you may still be ahead on that front. :)

Maybe you'll have yellow watchmen firefish babies.

That would be entertaining! :lol:

That's adorable :happy:

Your new firefish looks just like the one I had. Not that that's surprising :lol:....it just brings back happy memories for me :happy:

I loved your purple firefish. It was too bad she didn't live very long. I'm actually really happy having one of each now because I think the top fin on the orange firefish is awesome whereas the coloring on the purple firefish is more striking.

So I just placed an order with Sea Life Inc because I wanted nano-sized starfish. I ended up ordering:

2 Nano Red Brittle Starfish

Nano%20Red%20Brittle%20stars_500_500.jpg

2 Nano Serpent Stars

Nano%20Serpent,%20Ophioderma%20cinereum_500_500.jpg

A multi-mouth blue Florida Ricordea

blue%20with%20Purple%20mouth_500_500.jpg

A multi-mouth fluorescent green Florida Ricordea

1%20Double%20green%20ricordea_500_500.jpg

A multi-mouth fluorescent green and purple Florida Ricordea

1%20GP%20multiple%20Polyps_500_500.jpg

My total bill including shipping was $98, so not too bad. They ship on Mondays and Tuesdays, so hopefully my order goes out tomorrow and then I will get them by Thursday or Friday. I'll keep you guys posted on how the order goes.

Cool! Let us know how it goes that's pretty cheep for all that.

Hows the red slime remover working for you?

Yeah, I didn't think it was a bad deal and I'd been really wanting some starfish and a few more rics, especially blue ones. Those rics aren't WYSIWYG, so we'll see what they look like in person but I know Gena just ordered those sponges from them and was very happy.

I used the red slime remover once and within an hour or two the cyano just started sloughing off of everything. By the next day it was completely gone and hasn't come back. I'd definitely recommend buying some. That stuff is awesome!

Yeah, I didn't think it was a bad deal and I'd been really wanting some starfish and a few more rics, especially blue ones. Those rics aren't WYSIWYG, so we'll see what they look like in person but I know Gena just ordered those sponges from them and was very happy.

I used the red slime remover once and within an hour or two the cyano just started sloughing off of everything. By the next day it was completely gone and hasn't come back. I'd definitely recommend buying some. That stuff is awesome!

If John's cleaner pack from reefcleaners doesn't do the job by next week I am going to invest in some. Trying the natural route for now and I seem to be beating it back but just can't seem to completely kill it off.

Good to know it's really reef safe.

If John's cleaner pack from reefcleaners doesn't do the job by next week I am going to invest in some. Trying the natural route for now and I seem to be beating it back but just can't seem to completely kill it off.

Good to know it's really reef safe.

That was my issue. I'd seem to be getting somewhere with it but I couldn't get it killed off completely. I have a reef cleaners pack so I have hundreds of snails (honestly, I think there are too many) and they couldn't seem to make a dent in the cyano. If you use the red slime remover, just make sure its really well dissolved in some water before dumping it in and I'd pour it in really slowly and as far away from coral as you can. When I dosed it, I guess I didn't get it entirely dissolved and then I dumped it right above my red cap monti. It immediately got really pissed and then bleached a bit in the center. Its coloring up just fine now and all my other corals had absolutely no negative effects from the red slime remover.

Nice sea life order!

I have ordered from them twice and have been very happy each time. They also tend to send extras :)

Good to hear. And I love extras! :D

That was my issue. I'd seem to be getting somewhere with it but I couldn't get it killed off completely. I have a reef cleaners pack so I have hundreds of snails (honestly, I think there are too many) and they couldn't seem to make a dent in the cyano. If you use the red slime remover, just make sure its really well dissolved in some water before dumping it in and I'd pour it in really slowly and as far away from coral as you can. When I dosed it, I guess I didn't get it entirely dissolved and then I dumped it right above my red cap monti. It immediately got really pissed and then bleached a bit in the center. Its coloring up just fine now and all my other corals had absolutely no negative effects from the red slime remover.

Good to hear. And I love extras! :D

Good to know! Could add it with the WC water it would be fully dissolved then.....

I think Gena got a free extra sponge so that's cool!

Good to know! Could add it with the WC water it would be fully dissolved then.....

I think Gena got a free extra sponge so that's cool!

Yeah, I just dissolved it in 8 ounces of fresh water like they recommended. I bet in water change water, it would be much easier to get it fully dissolved so you wouldn't have that issue. I should have thought it through before I dumped it right above the monti, but luckily it seems to be recovering just fine.

Yep! The scoly kind of flipped out too since its right below the monti, so I was really panicking since its one of my absolute favorites. Luckily it just got PO'd for a few minutes and then went right back to normal. Now I know to be more careful then dosing things.

Oh, btw, does anyone like fuzzy mushrooms? Mine split into 3 a while back, and now those 3 are getting to the size where they'll probably split again and I definitely don't have much space left for them. All 3 are already about 3" in diameter. They'll probably be the first thing I attempt to frag, so if anyone wants one let me know and I'll try to frag them the next time they split.

I like fuzzy mushrooms and don't have one. :flower:

What color are they?

They're pretty awesome, they just love my tank too much and are growing a ton. They're like a maroon/purple base with neon green fuzz. Here's a photo of them a while back when they were in the process of splitting the first time:

IMG_0726.jpg

Wow Joel that first sentence.....

:lol:

:naughtydance::lol:

You just gave me the ID of my larger mushrooms. I have green fuzzy mushrooms too! LAMO

Nice! Glad I could help :D

Archived