Coral Vue Hydros

Diver's Paradise - The Original

Felicia

I'm really excited about the stars! I think they can grow bigger, but they start out so small that it would take a long time. I know Gena has some from the same company, so she probably knows better than me.

They do grow! But very slowly. Actually, I'm not even sure what the full size will be. I can tell mine are bigger though...but not by much.

That is the CUTEST thing EVER that the firefish are hanging out!!!!!! You lucked out getting opposite genders :happydance:

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? :happy:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They do grow! But very slowly. Actually, I'm not even sure what the full size will be. I can tell mine are bigger though...but not by much.

That is the CUTEST thing EVER that the firefish are hanging out!!!!!! You lucked out getting opposite genders :happydance:

Don't you love it when a plan comes together? :happy:

As long as my new starfish don't get too big and starting eating my fish, then I'll be fine with them growing. They start out so tiny, I feel like it would take forever to get big enough to be a threat to fish anyway.

I was totally content with the purple firefish and the YWG being buddies, but its awesome that the firefish decided to pair up. The two different colors together makes them extra cute. I just feel like my poor lonely YWG needs a friend. I wonder if I could just buy him a new pistol shrimp that actually wants to hang out with him.

I think you could. Although maybe eventually the two will meet up again. Do you already have the candy stripe pistol? I can't remember what variety you picked up.

I think you could. Although maybe eventually the two will meet up again. Do you already have the candy stripe pistol? I can't remember what variety you picked up.

Yeah, I've got a little candy stripe pistol shrimp. I'll just keep being patient I guess since they've only been in the new tank for like 2 months. Hopefully at some point they'll pair back up again because without the YWG to stand guard for him, I don't get to see much of the pistol shrimp.

LOL they may have met under the sand you you just haven't seen them together yet.

Well I see the YWG all the time and he doesn't live in a burrow now, he just lives in a cave. I also see the pistol shrimp poke his head out of his burrow at feeding time, so they're definitely in separate places. I guess I'll just keep being patient with them...

Plus my YWG's new hobby is sitting on the fuzzy mushrooms which makes me nervous now that Gena said she had one of her big mushrooms eat a fish. So far the mushrooms seem to have no interest in eat him, but he just like lounges around on them since they're right by the entrance to his cave.

Well I see the YWG all the time and he doesn't live in a burrow now, he just lives in a cave. I also see the pistol shrimp poke his head out of his burrow at feeding time, so they're definitely in separate places. I guess I'll just keep being patient with them...

Plus my YWG's new hobby is sitting on the fuzzy mushrooms which makes me nervous now that Gena said she had one of her big mushrooms eat a fish. So far the mushrooms seem to have no interest in eat him, but he just like lounges around on them since they're right by the entrance to his cave.

Why I moved mine, the pistol was creating burrows under them and I was terrified it would eat the yasha! :mellow:

Good to know, Gena. I'm not too worried since my fuzzy mushroom has been in the tank since the very beginning and it hasn't tried to eat any fish. I'm only a bit concerned now because my YWG has decided they make nice sofas. I don't want them to think he's food and close on him.

Sorry guys! I know I totally left you hanging. I got swamped the end of last week and then my parents came into town on Saturday to visit. This week is my spring break so were up in Tahoe right now through Thursday. Were actually going snowmobiling today :)

My parents leave sat morning, so after that you guys will get a huge update about the tank and photos from Tahoe. Sorry for leaving you all waiting!

It's cool, don't worry about it and have fun! :) it's just been a week and I just wanted to bump this thread and make sure you were still alive. :P

It's cool, don't worry about it and have fun! :) it's just been a week and I just wanted to bump this thread and make sure you were still alive. :P

Haha, thanks! I'm alive, just being a slacker about updating my thread. I had my sister and her friend staying at my place for like a week which was kind of stressful. Then they left on Thursday and my parent showed up on Sat. Kinda of poor planning for people visiting too close together. In the middle of all that I've been dealing with lab work and my wisdom teeth. But I'm on vacation in Tahoe now which is nice :)

Just a small update to hold you guys over until this weekend, the starfish arrived healthy and have been doing great in the tank. They come out every night to eat. They're really awesome to watch :) oh an the tics are gorgeous colors! They're all big multi mouth pieces and the colors are so bright.

Sounds like fun!!!!!! That's great to know that sealife has decent ricordea!!!!! I always wondered about that. I don't think I've ever ordered theirs. You're gonna love the starfish. They are pretty awesome residents in the tank. They pretty much just keep to themselves other than the arms that come out at feeding time...or when they are frisky :lol:

Hey guys! Sorry for not posting the promised update yesterday. I'm swamped trying to catch up on school/research since I took a week off. I'll get the update up tonight when I get home from school. I need to do a water change today too.

Thanks Gena. It was absolutely gorgeous up there with all the snow. It was so much different looking than when I went with my friends back in January and there hadn't been any snow. I'll post some of the photos on here with my update later for those of you who aren't facebook friends with me. :)

Ok finally! The update I've been promising!

First off, sorry for being so MIA lately, guys. I've been really busy because my parents were visiting last week and now I'm preparing for a presentation of my research at a conference next week. So I just haven't had as much time to be on N-R lately, but I have been maintaining the tank. Also, other than being busy, life is good because I just found out I was awarded a National Science Foundation fellowship, which gives me funding for the next 3 years and is really prestigious. In other news, I've started taking tennis lessons since I need to spend more time exercising. :)

But anyways, on to the tank news which is what you've been waiting for. I'll do the bad news first. All my water parameters have been perfect every time I test except Ca and Mg occasionally being just a tiny bit low, so everything should be fine, but all 6 varieties of acans I have melted last week. They started looking PO'd so I did a water change and tested the params ASAP but even though everything checked out, they just melted away over a couple days. All my other corals are fine and I'm actually getting a ton of growth, even from the SPS's. I'm wondering if maybe the coral beauty was picking at the acans, but I didn't notice any serious picking and it was weird how they all melted at once. I'm really annoyed because that was quite a bit of coral to just lose all at once :angry:

I've done all I can to insure the water quality is right, so I guess I just need to accept that I lost some coral and move on. I don't want to get too discouraged and frustrated with the tank. All my other corals are doing great and the growth lately has been insane. All of my fish and inverts are also doing really well, and the new starfish are doing great!

Sealife Inc was great! I'd highly recommend ordering from them. When the starfish arrived after two days in a box with no heat packs, they were all actively moving around in their bags and very much alive. They sent me the 2 red brittle stars I ordered and an extra of the nano serpent stars for a total of 3. They also sent me 7 orange leg hermits for free. Oh, and the ricordea opened up in the bags as soon as I started temperature acclimating them. All 3 of them are very colorful large polyps. They definitely more than exceeded my expectations. :D Anyways, enough talking...picture time! :happydance:

IMG_0444.jpg

Nano red brittle star

IMG_0386.jpg

Two of the nano serpent stars

IMG_0416.jpg

The third nano serpent star

IMG_0405.jpg

Blue multi-mouth ricordea

IMG_0399.jpg

Neon green multi-mouth ricordea

IMG_0156.jpg

The green and purple multi-mouth ricordea is in the center.

IMG_0418.jpg

The pom pom crab and the red brittle stars legs

IMG_0397.jpg

The Tyree sunset monti is encrusting onto the rock below it! So much growth in such a short time. Especially considering I accidentally broke it in half when I glued it down. The other half is also encrusting onto the rock!

IMG_0409.jpg

So many new eyes developing on my alien eye chalice!

IMG_0408.jpg

The flowerpot looking really happy where I placed it.

Ok, now a few photos from my trip to Tahoe with my parents.

IMG_0167.jpg

Emerald bay, one of the most scenic parts of the lake. This is right before it started snowing.

IMG_0258.jpg

We went snowmobiling through Hope Valley! It was 26 miles of awesome views and we had perfect weather. Ignore the fact that the snow suit they made us wear makes me look like a puffy marshmallow. :lol:

IMG_0265-1.jpg

Me and my parents also went snowshoeing in Hope Valley. Here's me at the beginning of the hike.

Gorgeous views of Hope Valley.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Those red stars are super cool! How big are they? Hard to get perspective in the pics :)

Those rics are amazing too :D I love rics. I need more! :happydance:

Those red stars are super cool! How big are they? Hard to get perspective in the pics :)

Those rics are amazing too :D I love rics. I need more! :happydance:

The red brittle stars really are super cool. They're the nano sized ones from Sealife Inc. The circular body part is about half an inch in diameter and then their legs are probably another 4 inches or so.

You should order some rics from Sealife Inc if you want more. They do priority shipping to anywhere in the country for only like $14.

Archived