Coral Vue Hydros

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would raise your trace element levels in the mean time while you figure out what was causing it. Your calcium is LOW which could also be causing it. Zeph would be the pro on this situation though. In the end if it is the clowns then I would get rid of them personally and add other attractive fish. Your only other option is getting rid on the clams.

saltwatercoral

Just wanted to put a update out. The clams are still closed and now have been for almost 3 days now. My water tests are:

Mg:1360

Kh:8.4

Ca:420

P04:0

Ph:8.2

Temp:78.1

Ammonia: 0

I did change my Chemipure bag of Charon when they shut. When should I start to worry about the clams if they don't open?

I would raise your trace element levels in the mean time while you figure out what was causing it. Your calcium is LOW which could also be causing it. Zeph would be the pro on this situation though. In the end if it is the clowns then I would get rid of them personally and add other attractive fish. Your only other option is getting rid on the clams.

Not sure that additional trace elements would make a difference IMO ... what I would like to figure out to be able to help is what made them close up to begin with if they were nicely open as they appear to have been.

Nitrates are present, which they need, the pH is now at 8.2 which IMO is better than when it was at 8.53 and phosphates can not detectable, which is fine also.

I suggested checking for anything that is harassing and irritating them, either snails or something else like bristle or fireworms.

Also I posted an article on my main thread about the two issues that occur with Clams of this kind at:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4032616

Check especially for Pyramid snails ... (the are very small - check the image below)

pyramidsnail.png

and check this article as well :

http://www.brettsreef.com/watch-out-for-pyramid-snails/

saltwatercoral
You change ur light settings recently?

Nope, I havnt changed them for a few months now. I have them right where I want them now with my tank turning into a acan lord tank. I hope may clams open soon. Is there a time period if they dont open that I need to be concerned with? Its so odd that all of the sudden they both shut at the smae time...? :huh:

saltwatercoral
You dip your last couple coral additions? I think yes based in past circumstances. Lol.

Absolutly! I dip everything using "Coral RX". Never take any more chances....

saltwatercoral

Here is a pic I took yesterday of my closed up clams if this helps any... I will check sunday for those snails at night bacause I am going out of town today and saturday. I hope I dont have the Pyram snails!

Closedupclams.jpg

On a side note I saw my Scutus aka Elephant Snail out in the open yesterday so I snaped a pic of him. My Manderin was swiming right by him so it kinda gives you an idea on the size. Dont look at the fake coral either.... Its all going to living coral again when it gets fully stocked. I only have 11 frags right now...

ScutusakaElephantSnail.jpg

redwhiteandblue

woah, havnt seen this thread in while....what happened.....assload of frags, then no corals, then coral inserts, now no inserts, acans and clams lol. its hard to follow lol

saltwatercoral
woah, havnt seen this thread in while....what happened.....assload of frags, then no corals, then coral inserts, now no inserts, acans and clams lol. its hard to follow lol

Lol, my 60 some frags kinda tanked and almost all died. I had a montapora eating nudibranch roll through my tank like wildfire. I also jumped into the SPS without doing proper water testinga and more than likely killed my sps from lack of alot of things. The clams I have had for months and have never had any problems like I have had now. I am dosing and got a bubble mag 3 pump to manually dose when I get a good few weeks of manual soaring readings of what I'm Dosing each day. I have fake stuff because the wife loved the fake stuff and just fish... UGhhhh... I hate it and am Jumping back into the real stuff again. I have removed 5 of the fake pieces now and have about 12 frags of all mainly Acan Lords.

Pyramidellid snails?

I will be checking for those later on tomorrow night as I am away for the weekend.

Did you check this link which I posted earlier

http://www.brettsreef.com/watch-out-for-pyramid-snails/

and did you see any of those small snails on your clams ?

I def did, I am out of town but Sunday night I will be looking for those snails. I hate to get ride of the clams or have them die on me because of the snails. It's just crazy that they both closed up when I started to dose. I never have before and then the night I desided to dose 120ml of MG they closed up the next day.

Lol, my 60 some frags kinda tanked and almost all died. I had a montapora eating nudibranch roll through my tank like wildfire. I also jumped into the SPS without doing proper water testinga and more than likely killed my sps from lack of alot of things. The clams I have had for months and have never had any problems like I have had now. I am dosing and got a bubble mag 3 pump to manually dose when I get a good few weeks of manual soaring readings of what I'm Dosing each day. I have fake stuff because the wife loved the fake stuff and just fish... UGhhhh... I hate it and am Jumping back into the real stuff again. I have removed 5 of the fake pieces now and have about 12 frags of all mainly Acan Lords.

I will be checking for those later on tomorrow night as I am away for the weekend.

I def did, I am out of town but Sunday night I will be looking for those snails. I hate to get ride of the clams or have them die on me because of the snails. It's just crazy that they both closed up when I started to dose. I never have before and then the night I desided to dose 120ml of MG they closed up the next day.

Could be the Mg indeed ...

saltwatercoral

I checked for Pyramidellid snails last night and did not find any... I didnt see anything else that might be bothering the clams other than the dosing within the last week. I hope they bounce back... On a side note I am posting some pics because I know everyone likes em!

IMG_2847.jpg

IMG_2846.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

I checked for Pyramidellid snails last night and did not find any... I didnt see anything else that might be bothering the clams other than the dosing within the last week. I hope they bounce back... On a side note I am posting some pics because I know everyone likes em!

Glad you did not find any .. the dosing probably shocked the clams and hopefully they will start to re-open

Thanks for all the pics ... looks real nice ...

saltwatercoral
What the heck are all those dots.. almost look like flatworms..

LOL, they are the snail eggs, no flat worms thankfully!

What the heck are all those dots.. almost look like flatworms..

Not sure but it could be small snails ... wonder if they are moving or not .... or it could be eggs deposited on that rock ... a close up would help .. hopefully not a pest

saltwatercoral
Not sure but it could be small snails ... wonder if they are moving or not .... or it could be eggs deposited on that rock ... a close up would help .. hopefully not a pest

I freaked out at first when I saw them. I found out that they apeared after I put the CUC in and they are Nassarius snail eggs that they lay on the rock.

I freaked out at first when I saw them. I found out that they apeared after I put the CUC in and they are Nassarius snail eggs that they lay on the rock.

Yes glad it turned out to be eggs indeed as I suggested as a possibility

saltwatercoral
Yes glad it turned out to be eggs indeed as I suggested as a possibility

Thanks! I guess as far as the Clams go, it will just take time for them to open right? Is there a time period that they should be opening back up?

saltwatercoral

Just wanted to post an update and say the clams are still closed! Yikes! I dont know what to do with the clams. Corals are all doing well though. I just got around to connect and mount the Vortec battery backup.

92827257-4DC2-467E-B2EA-ECF6D51F6D38-516-00000104FCDDF4FF.jpg

023B83DF-8750-4516-9328-45E8B071B05B-516-00000105060B7719.jpg

2F34578E-EE26-47C0-A6BB-B21D0D7A3444-516-0000010512E9ECA6.jpg

Archived