Coral Vue Hydros

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

saltwatercoral

I came home yesterday and noticed that one of my clown fish had gone missing. l Looked everywhere, even on the floor behind the tank and still nothing. I then looked in my overflow and there she was... Dont know how long she was there for but I got her back into the tank. I need to make a netting overtop of the tank so this will not happen again!

I also got the new BIGGER sump in and plumbed up last night! I have so much space it is incredable. I should have dont this to begin with! Now I have it modifyed so I can use the washable bags and dont have to spend $10 every week for a throw away eshopps bag!

IMG_2912.jpg

IMG_2913.jpg

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can wash the eshopps bags :)... however, I'm hating them at the moment. It's a royal ##### to change the rectangular socks and liking the drawstring route you took. I was actually going to diy a different sock holder altogether but I think I might go this route. Is there anything special you had to do to keep the socks held up or is the threading on the bulkhead enough?

saltwatercoral
You can wash the eshopps bags :)... however, I'm hating them at the moment. It's a royal ##### to change the rectangular socks and liking the drawstring route you took. I was actually going to diy a different sock holder altogether but I think I might go this route. Is there anything special you had to do to keep the socks held up or is the threading on the bulkhead enough?

I was looking to reuse the Eshopps bags but the plastic rim was kinda killing me and I ddnt find these very "reusable friendly" if you know what I mean... what is did was reuse the plumbing that was there to put the new sump in and just slightly modify it to work. I took the bulk head from the old sump and flipped it upside down with a short piece of pvc that way I can use the wider lip to hold the bag on . In the pic is what I used I just fliped it upside down. Hope this helps!

NewBitmapImage2.jpg

I was looking to reuse the Eshopps bags but the plastic rim was kinda killing me and I ddnt find these very "reusable friendly" if you know what I mean... what is did was reuse the plumbing that was there to put the new sump in and just slightly modify it to work. I took the bulk head from the old sump and flipped it upside down with a short piece of pvc that way I can use the wider lip to hold the bag on . In the pic is what I used I just fliped it upside down. Hope this helps!

Nice mod!

Took me a while to understand..you connected both bulkheads together with a piece of pvc.. gotcha ;).. right now i have to keep removing the bulkheads in order to get the sock holder off. How stupid eh? I'm using the R-300 2nd gen.

It's the little frustrations like this that cause me to slack off on the maintenance once in a while. Plus those drawstring bags are cheaper.

saltwatercoral
Took me a while to understand..you connected both bulkheads together with a piece of pvc.. gotcha ;).. right now i have to keep removing the bulkheads in order to get the sock holder off. How stupid eh? I'm using the R-300 2nd gen.

It's the little frustrations like this that cause me to slack off on the maintenance once in a while. Plus those drawstring bags are cheaper.

It was a simple fix I didnt even glue the pvc and bulk head underneath. That way I can just pull down and remove the old bag, put a new bag on and then push the pvc pipe up in the bulkhead and wala! Super easy and super quick! I checked your setup and you should be able to do the same thing. It def looks like a pain to remove the entire bulk head. And yes, I can almost get 2 reusable bags vs 1trashable eshopps bag. saves time and $! Hope you can do this mod to yours!

saltwatercoral

Good news! I noticed before I left today that my one clam is opeing up real nice! I dont know what changed but I am going to test my water tonight and see what everything is.

On a bad side note, I noticed on my clown a small white patch almost on its top fin between the fin and the body. It does not look like salt or anything like that. It looks more like a small white patch... I wonder if raising the different levals in everything would have stressed him out? All other fish look fine??? Its always somthing it seams like. I will get pics tonight and post them.

I notice things from time to time. I think maybe they scratch themselves on a rock or something. If you see multiple little white specs that's Ich. If he's still eating that's a good sign.

saltwatercoral
I notice things from time to time. I think maybe they scratch themselves on a rock or something. If you see multiple little white specs that's Ich. If he's still eating that's a good sign.

He eats like a pig! All the fish are eating like a pig! If it is Ich how do I treat it?

Good news! I noticed before I left today that my one clam is opeing up real nice! I dont know what changed but I am going to test my water tonight and see what everything is.

On a bad side note, I noticed on my clown a small white patch almost on its top fin between the fin and the body. It does not look like salt or anything like that. It looks more like a small white patch... I wonder if raising the different levals in everything would have stressed him out? All other fish look fine??? Its always somthing it seams like. I will get pics tonight and post them.

Can you post a close up pic of what it looks like .. that may help in figuring out what it may be ..

I've used Kick Ich twice with great results. Not sure if the product worked or other measures like lowering SG... But yeah post a pic cause you don't want to go doing something unnecessarily.

saltwatercoral
Can you post a close up pic of what it looks like .. that may help in figuring out what it may be ..

I will take a pic when I get home today. I dont have anything now to post. I hope its nothing serious! :huh:

I've used Kick Ich twice with great results. Not sure if the product worked or other measures like lowering SG... But yeah post a pic cause you don't want to go doing something unnecessarily.

If it is Ich, can I just add the "Kick Ich" to the main tank without harming the other fish and corals?

QT

I may need to get a QT up and running!

I will take a pic when I get home today. I dont have anything now to post. I hope its nothing serious! :huh:

It may be nothing serious, a bruise or scratch from scraping against a rock but then without seeing the spot it is hard to tell

WHY NOT

Even though it says it is "reef safe" doesn't really mean it is. I have heard it bothers the hell outta coral a lot of the time, and even then is not always effective at removing the problem. I just wouldnt risk it for something that isn't guaranteed. Only thing I recommend would be setting up a QT system and treating in that. Just my two cents.

Even though it says it is "reef safe" doesn't really mean it is. I have heard it bothers the hell outta coral a lot of the time, and even then is not always effective at removing the problem. I just wouldnt risk it for something that isn't guaranteed. Only thing I recommend would be setting up a QT system and treating in that. Just my two cents.

I agree, but I still think it works and I isn't have a problem with the corals.

saltwatercoral
whats going on with this tank?

Nothing realy. Everything is on the up and up. Just one of my clown's has a white blotchy spot behind his top fin on his body. Im not to sure what it is. I havnt added anything new to the tank for about 2 weeks now. But my clam is def opening back up and looking good!

I just read that it can be irritation from another fish picking on it and I did notice my other clown fish def picking on him when it got to close to it! Could it be from the other clown niping at him?

Nice to see you are getting back into real coral again bro! Im not going to lie, i pretty well lost all hope on this setup of yours! Its nice to see you are giving it another GO!

Post up some more pictures of your clams bro!

heres a quick shot i just took, my clam had some MAD extension aha! figured id post it up!

IMG-20121009-00398.jpg

IMG-20121007-00393.jpg

saltwatercoral
Nice to see you are getting back into real coral again bro! Im not going to lie, i pretty well lost all hope on this setup of yours! Its nice to see you are giving it another GO!

Post up some more pictures of your clams bro!

heres a quick shot i just took, my clam had some MAD extension aha! figured id post it up!

IMG-20121009-00398.jpg

IMG-20121007-00393.jpg

Your clams have crazy extension! Mine never looked like that, they looked good but that is crazy! I noticed yesterday that they were semi closed back up again... Dont know what is going on there but I will keep monitoring them.

Here are 4 of the best pics I could get. This little guy is always moving and will not stop. So this is the best I could do for now. You can see on where his top fin meets his body twords his tail a little white patch.

00EBEAA7-C74C-4BAC-89E0-71B298DC1805-3842-00000651CA692161.jpg

0144FCBD-D9F6-4BBD-AF83-C7B8CA36ADA0-3842-00000651C38FB9B3.jpg

FB00EEE2-1EA7-4B61-9C93-67FA01EF4ED2-3842-00000651BB634365.jpg

8C99146B-7DC4-4CB7-9083-3A28DE0068D7-3842-00000651B366BDD8.jpg

Archived