SaltCritters.com

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
saltwatercoral

Its off CL. I don't know why I even put it up there. Now I am realizing I need a bigger tank! I'm thinking if I move, my next house is goig to need a basment so I can put atleast a 12ft long tank in there with a bar on the side!

albertthiel

Wow 12 foot long and a wet bar on the side ... that should be quite a set up ...

IMO plan on having a hidden filtration room behind the tank so you can set up all your equipment there and keep it out of sight but make it easy for you to work on.

When I lived in NM (Las Cruces) I had a 400+ gallon just off my living room and a nice separate filtration room at the end of the tank where it butted up to a wall and that worked out just fine as I had plenty and more room for all the equipment and shelves for all the additives and other products I used, including all the reactors of course and dosing pumps and the like.

Believe it or not but when I sold the house in Las Cruces the buyer did not want the tank so we had to remove stand since no one wanted to buy that large an aquarium in such a small town I had to end up giving it away to a LFS in town who sent over 8 people to carry the tank out (yes it was a heavy bugger and made out of glass).

The hidden filtration room to get back to that was great to have and I don't know how I could have done without it.

Albert

Its off CL. I don't know why I even put it up there. Now I am realizing I need a bigger tank! I'm thinking if I move, my next house is goig to need a basment so I can put atleast a 12ft long tank in there with a bar on the side!
saltwatercoral
Wow 12 foot long and a wet bar on the side ... that should be quite a set up ...

IMO plan on having a hidden filtration room behind the tank so you can set up all your equipment there and keep it out of sight but make it easy for you to work on.

When I lived in NM (Las Cruces) I had a 400+ gallon just off my living room and a nice separate filtration room at the end of the tank where it butted up to a wall and that worked out just fine as I had plenty and more room for all the equipment and shelves for all the additives and other products I used, including all the reactors of course and dosing pumps and the like.

Believe it or not but when I sold the house in Las Cruces the buyer did not want the tank so we had to remove stand since no one wanted to buy that large an aquarium in such a small town I had to end up giving it away to a LFS in town who sent over 8 people to carry the tank out (yes it was a heavy bugger and made out of glass).

The hidden filtration room to get back to that was great to have and I don't know how I could have done without it.

Albert

WOW! 400g! Thats a nice size! What was the dimension of the tank? I was trying to add up how many SOL's or Vega's it will take from Aqua Illuminations to light a bigger tank. I it will prob cost around 5k just for the lighting, depending if its a longer tank or not...

revaltion131

Albert

Sorry to hijack, but I'm really thinking about trying to find a house with a place to set up a hidden filtration room like this. If you don't mind me asking, how did it effect your resale? Did you have to give them a fix-it credit or fix it yourself?

albertthiel

I fixed it myself and the area on which the tank was sitting was converted to a plant display section for them and since it was 4x8 that gave them a lot of room to put and display some nice plants which is what the new owners wanted to do. But ... of course ... I did not get anything for the tank and all of its contents .. it went to the fish store for nothing ... I had a long relationship with them and the owner and really given we were in Las Cruces I did not have much of a choice other than giving it away to ensure that the house sale went through, which it did .. .and then we moved to Atlanta where I have been ever since ...

Albert

Sorry to hijack, but I'm really thinking about trying to find a house with a place to set up a hidden filtration room like this. If you don't mind me asking, how did it effect your resale? Did you have to give them a fix-it credit or fix it yourself?
saltwatercoral
I fixed it myself and the area on which the tank was sitting was converted to a plant display section for them and since it was 4x8 that gave them a lot of room to put and display some nice plants which is what the new owners wanted to do. But ... of course ... I did not get anything for the tank and all of its contents .. it went to the fish store for nothing ... I had a long relationship with them and the owner and really given we were in Las Cruces I did not have much of a choice other than giving it away to ensure that the house sale went through, which it did .. .and then we moved to Atlanta where I have been ever since ...

Albert

Man that sucks, getting nothing for a 400g sys... I guess you need to do what you need to do though. Do you have any pics of the 400g setup and filtration? If you do you can put a link here or some pics of it! I would love to see it!

albertthiel

This was in 1996 and so I am not sure whether I can still find the pictures and details of the set up and the filtration room etc ... as I have no idea where I stored them and whether I actually still have the hard drives or disks ... The computers I had in those days are long gone of course but I do have a lot of zip drives from a long time ago and wonder if maybe I have some of them on there ... I'll have to check them one by one but I have to find the Zip drive device itself ... not sure where that is if I still have one ... but I am sure I can get one somewhere on eBay or similar

Albert

Man that sucks, getting nothing for a 400g sys... I guess you need to do what you need to do though. Do you have any pics of the 400g setup and filtration? If you do you can put a link here or some pics of it! I would love to see it!
  • 2 weeks later...
saltwatercoral

What up peeps! I just did a 4hr deep clean on the sump, pumps and protein skimmer! I put the PS in vinegar and let the pump run for about 2hrs to help clean it out. I replaced my Phosban media and all is put back together and working great. I have very noticeable growth on my corals! Also I have harvested my pods 2 times already and these Tisby pods are growing like crazy! The mandarin seems to be getting bigger, the skinny lines on him are going away and he is starting to fill in!

saltwatercoral

Just wanted to put some new pics up for every one...

Purple Bonsai Before:

PurpleBonsai.jpg

Purple Bonsai now:

Growthpurplebonsai.jpg

Chalice Growth before:

photo6.jpg

After (notice the lip on the lift side growing over the disk):

Growth.jpg

Pink Birds nest before:

PinkBirdsNest.jpg

After:

GrowthpinkBirdsnest.jpg

Nice coraline growing begining:

Coralinegrowing.jpg

Night time left tank shot:

Tankafterdarkleftside.jpg

Night time right tank shot:

Tankafterdarkrightside.jpg

Quick Video of my tisby pod tank.

saltwatercoral
That growth is excellent! Congrats!!

Thats the growth for about 2 months or a little less. I didnt know if this was good or not so good for growth.

Thanks nickjqz!

saltwatercoral
Just to be able to see growth and healthy corals is good enough for me!

LOL, I understand!

Just to be able to see growth and healthy corals is good enough for me!

+1. Congrats! How's the color for you? Can't really tell from the pics.

saltwatercoral
+1. Congrats! How's the color for you? Can't really tell from the pics.

Thanks, the color is good! I take my pics from my iphone so it washes the blue out, lol. I am going to see now what I can do to possably trade some of these pieces for some nice acros or somthing!

revaltion131
Thats the growth for about 2 months or a little less. I didnt know if this was good or not so good for growth.

Thanks nickjqz!

IME, the Bonsai is a super slow grower. Mine never grew at a rate like that.

• 3 weeks later...
saltwatercoral

Yea I do have a unfortunate update... These darn nudibranch's are taking over my tank. My corals are being eaten away, and no matter how many I take out these things keep showing and coming back. So if anyone is here local (In Maryland) and would like my corals for free then you can have them. I dont have time to try to pick at these nudibranch's to try to save my corals. What I am going to do is get the nice looking fake coral inserts and and get more fish for my tank and make it a fish only tank. Now I can get fish that are not reef safe and still have the bright coral color with the inserts. The ones I was looking at are still going to cost me several hundred but they look nice. I'm

Looking at the company called Instantreef, and suggestions?

That sucks. I'll pm you about the corals.

I've given some thought to the fish only with live rock idea for a bedroom tank. I just don't have time or patience for two tanks. Good news for you is you can put a whole boat load of fish in there and it'll look really nice with the lights and rock and stuff. Plus the new controller is coming out so you can add effects to your tank. And less hassle with everything really.

revaltion131

I'm sorry to hear about that. Did you consider a wrasse to try to take care of them? I think mine would pig out on nudis.

saltwatercoral
I'm sorry to hear about that. Did you consider a wrasse to try to take care of them? I think mine would pig out on nudis.

I thought about that but I just think for me and my time I am going to do doa fish only tank and not need to worry about coral care and maintenance. This way I can get some really cool fish like triggers and a puffer!

Archived