Cultivated Reef

$ Pit

saltwatercoral

albertthiel
I thought about that but I just think for me and my time I am going to do doa fish only tank and not need to worry about coral care and maintenance. This way I can get some really cool fish like triggers and a puffer!

Makes sense if you want those kind of fish and Angels and Butterflies

Note that Nudi's take a long time to all die off in your tank so it may not be a bad ideas to get a nudi eater in there anyway and when they are gone trade it back in to the LFS

FWIW

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are the nudi's SPS eating nudi's? I am clueless when it comes to SPS. I tried to keep some way back with no luck. Now I just keep BTA's and LPS.

albertthiel
What are the nudi's SPS eating nudi's? I am clueless when it comes to SPS. I tried to keep some way back with no luck. Now I just keep BTA's and LPS.

Nudibranchs are very hard to keep even the ones that may not harm your corals but they all have such specialized diets that it is very difficult to determine whether you have a safe one (rare) or not

Go to this link and you will find plenty of articles on Nudibranchs

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari...-8&oe=UTF-8

What you also have to watch out for is flatworms as they will do damage as well

Albert

ahhh just came to check on the tank and see you're bowin out. Fowlr are certainly neat as well though.. gonna change up the lighting?

That suck Tim!!! Sorry to hear man. Let me know if you need any help with anything. I your in the area let me know I would be willing to take the coral. I have a LFS that I could house everything at and medicate/ exterminate the problems. Let me know what you decide to do.

saltwatercoral
ahhh just came to check on the tank and see you're bowin out. Fowlr are certainly neat as well though.. gonna change up the lighting?

Gona keep the lighting. I know the SOL's are going to be OVER KILL for a Fish only tank but ill keep them anyway since I spent over 1K for them, lol.

I looked at many different companies and and recieved different price quotes ranging from over 2K to about $500. I am not going to spend over 2K on fake stuff, thats crazy! I am going to stick with Instanreef, because of the price. I know it may not look like real coral but the colors POP and under the SOL BLUES and with lots more fish, I think it will look great!

Also the Corals are gone. I havent had that much time to do an update but I got them out of my tank a few days after I made the post to get them out of my tank.

I will post some updates here shortly when I pull the trigger on the inserts I want...

It will be a good looking tank. I bet if you throw in some really easy corals and do nothing special for them they'll ad something. Get like cheap soft frags from local stores and just throw them in there with reckless abandon. Lol. If they don't do well who cares and if they do that's cool too.

Just bein honest, I think the problem here was that maybe it was a little fast for sps. I didn't get any sps until maybe 2 years after trying other stuff.

saltwatercoral
It will be a good looking tank. I bet if you throw in some really easy corals and do nothing special for them they'll ad something. Get like cheap soft frags from local stores and just throw them in there with reckless abandon. Lol. If they don't do well who cares and if they do that's cool too.

Just bein honest, I think the problem here was that maybe it was a little fast for sps. I didn't get any sps until maybe 2 years after trying other stuff.

I think I may have just jumped in the deep end (so to speak) and tryed my hand at a more advanced side the reefing world. I think a bunch of nice looking fish with the inserts will look nicer than what I had before! It will deff look more filled and better to the eye.

saltwatercoral

How many fish do you think I should add/have in my tank? I am doing a fish only tank, it’s a 120g tank (4x2x2) and I currently have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 nanso tang, 2 anthias and 1 manderin. What other fish do you recommend? I can now get some sea urchins and none reef safe fish like puffers and triggers!

Suggestions and quantity and types?

How many fish do you think I should add/have in my tank? I am doing a fish only tank, it’s a 120g tank (4x2x2) and I currently have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 nanso tang, 2 anthias and 1 manderin. What other fish do you recommend? I can now get some sea urchins and none reef safe fish like puffers and triggers!

From the looks it would be cool to get a bottom dweller pair like goby/shrimp.

Small schooling fish are cool to me. Cheap, but school of 5 looks real cool. Chromis or something. Could also get a trio of Pygmy Angels. That would be awesome.

I also saw a Japanese lionfish or like harasuku or something lionfish. It's small and cool looking. Filefish are really nice IMO.

Just look on Divers Den. They have quite a bit right now. Blue zoo has some real exotic fish, but they are hardly ever in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Lookin for updates.. get anymore fishies? I'd certainly venture into getting some of the larger angels and butterflies.. and you can go a bit on the heavy side on the stocking list.. just manage your nitrates less than 50.

Jacob042426
I also saw a Japanese lionfish or like harasuku or something lionfish. It's small and cool looking. Filefish are really nice IMO.

fu manchu? they are really cool. they are small too so they they won't eat everything.

fu manchu? they are really cool. they are small too so they they won't eat everything.

Yeah that. It was really strange and cool looking.

What's up with the tank?

albertthiel

If you want a real special small Lion, here is the Blackfoot Lionfish Parapterois Heterura

BlackfootLionfishParapteroisHeterura).png

saltwatercoral

Just got back from vacation yesterday and found the tank and all the little guys good to go! My Father in Law took care of them While I was away. I need to make a trip to the store to get some more food and supplies this weekend so I might get a few more additions while I'm at it. Timing has not been the best the last month or so... Before I left for vacation my car was down and my wife's car was in the shop. Just picked the wife's Toyota Hoghlander up today after a almost 3K BILL!!! Now my Honda will be next. Also just spent money on the last vacation to Ocean City. I'm also Going to Outer Banks here within the next month in a half... Wallet is being hit hard and I'm not able to get my coral inserts just yet, but maybe a few fishes...

I looked at the Black footed lion fish and they say that even experts have a hard time keeping them alive! That one may not be for me just yet as I have a long way to grow in this field.

albertthiel
Just got back from vacation yesterday and found the tank and all the little guys good to go! My Father in Law took care of them While I was away. I need to make a trip to the store to get some more food and supplies this weekend so I might get a few more additions while I'm at it. Timing has not been the best the last month or so... Before I left for vacation my car was down and my wife's car was in the shop. Just picked the wife's Toyota Hoghlander up today after a almost 3K BILL!!! Now my Honda will be next. Also just spent money on the last vacation to Ocean City. I'm also Going to Outer Banks here within the next month in a half... Wallet is being hit hard and I'm not able to get my coral inserts just yet, but maybe a few fishes...

I looked at the Black footed lion fish and they say that even experts have a hard time keeping them alive! That one may not be for me just yet as I have a long way to grow in this field.

Wow that is indeed a financial burden you had to go through indeed so maybe expensive corals have to what indeed.

On the Lionfish, yes it is a tough cookie to keep based on what I know. I tried one a long time ago and it died after about 4 months probably because the life foods I gave it were not suitable enough and lacked fatty acids that saltwater fish, especially Lionfish apparently need.

Mollies and guppies apparently were not good enough for that fish.

Albert

saltwatercoral

I almost forgot to mention that I found before I left on vacation a Elephant Slug in my tank. He is a good size to! I seen him after I turned the lights back on from getting home to late and I was going to feed the fish and saw this black slug looking thing crawling around the rock. I thought the worst but after doing some reaserch I found out that he is cool to have in your tank. It also looks like these things are not that comon to have in your tank and are mainly found in southern Australia.

albertthiel
I almost forgot to mention that I found before I left on vacation a Elephant Slug in my tank. He is a good size to! I seen him after I turned the lights back on from getting home to late and I was going to feed the fish and saw this black slug looking thing crawling around the rock. I thought the worst but after doing some reaserch I found out that he is cool to have in your tank. It also looks like these things are not that comon to have in your tank and are mainly found in southern Australia.

Scutus are indeed not that common but do come in on Live Rock from time to time. I only know of two other members who have posted about them on Nano-reef though, but there may be more who have one or more.

As far as I have been able to determine they are reef safe and are indeed odd. Sometime you will see their tiny shell above the black body, but not all that often.

If you do see it try to capture a picture will you and post it to my thread for others to see as well. In fact you may just want to take a pic of it even if you do not see the white shell on its top, and post that picture first and then when you see the small shell get another one to post. That would be nice.

Thanks

Albert

How many fish do you think I should add/have in my tank? I am doing a fish only tank, it’s a 120g tank (4x2x2) and I currently have 2 clowns, 1 yellow tang, 1 nanso tang, 2 anthias and 1 manderin. What other fish do you recommend? I can now get some sea urchins and non reef safe fish like puffers and triggers!

Well first off sorry to hear about the $ flowing out for the cars. Reef inserts are cool, but you don't have to have them immediately, they would just accent the tank, but fish are fun speaking of which...

The 120g FOWLR, First off I love triggers and puffers. However you mention them in the same sentence as wanting urchins. Well for the most part your trigger/puffer will end up picking apart the urchin. If I was going to go with one though I'd pick one that is less likely to decimate the rest of your fish/invertebrates. So this leaves out the majority of triggers and puffers. In fact the only one that comes to mind is the blue throat trigger. You can get them as a paired up too which is cool, but they still might cause some problems like rock moving.

Maybe someone else will touch base about other triggers/puffers.

Now for your stocking list. With anthias you want to keep them as a harem, so I would get another one, and hopefully it will be accepted. A naso tang will get too big for a 4 foot tank, so I would suggest returning to the LFS. And the manderin dragonet might not make it if you end up getting some more aggressive fish, IMO. If I had a FOWLR, I would look into the non-reef safe wrasses. They're are some pretty cool fish in the group. I love Harlequin tuskfish personally(which some argue is reef safe, but that is neither here nor there). btw the more aggressive fish tend to take out inverts, so getting a new reef cleaning crew will need to be done every once in awhile.

saltwatercoral
Scutus are indeed not that common but do come in on Live Rock from time to time. I only know of two other members who have posted about them on Nano-reef though, but there may be more who have one or more.

As far as I have been able to determine they are reef safe and are indeed odd. Sometime you will see their tiny shell above the black body, but not all that often.

If you do see it try to capture a picture will you and post it to my thread for others to see as well. In fact you may just want to take a pic of it even if you do not see the white shell on its top, and post that picture first and then when you see the small shell get another one to post. That would be nice.

Thanks

Albert

I def will! I did grab one picbut it was the best I could get so I will post it for ya. Its def not the best but, it is better then nothin!

You can see it next to my cleaner shrimp for a size comp.

ElephantSlug.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
saltwatercoral

NEW UPDATE:

A few days ago one of my clowns decided to venture outside of the tank... I found him when I got home from work almost all dried up behind the tank... So I wanted to get another clown and some supplies and food for my tank since I was off yesterday. The wife was off as well and decided she was going to take her very first venture with me to "That Fish Place" in PA. I thought this was going to end badly but it was def the opposite! We ended up walking out with what I wanted and more! She picked some fish out (as long as I gave it the green light) and she also picked out some coral inserts until I decide what company I want to choose for my main inserts. I have now added 8 (1 being the clown to replace the dead one) more fish and some coral inserts... I’ll stop talking now and post some pics!

FTS

FTS8-17-2012.jpg

1 blue striped cleaner wrasse

BlueStipedCleanerWras.jpg

5 Blue Chromis

photo-3.jpg

1 Royal Gramma

BlueChromis.jpg

I was also looking at getting one of the new FLUVAL SPEC 5g tanks for my desk at work. Only want to go freshwater with it due to maint and water evap (salitiy spikes)... I want to use it for a fresh water shrimp or some Glow Fish. Sugestions? Here is one I saw setup at a store...

FluvalSpec5g.jpg

FluvalSpec.jpg

saltwatercoral

Here is the final outcome with the live rock and coral inserts. My 14 fish are all getting along and I have not seen any problems yet. My Royal Gramma is still in hidding mode though.

FTS8-18-2012.jpg

Too bad i didnt see this before :(.... My clams.....sniff...sniff.....

Good luck with all that shiny plastics in your tank. Its definetly a lot easier but they would never look as good as real ones. I think it was a good chance for you to try softies and lps, atleast they are easy to keep and look way better than plastic lol good luck man

saltwatercoral
Too bad i didnt see this before :(.... My clams.....sniff...sniff.....

Good luck with all that shiny plastics in your tank. Its definetly a lot easier but they would never look as good as real ones. I think it was a good chance for you to try softies and lps, atleast they are easy to keep and look way better than plastic lol good luck man

The clams are still going strong! You can see them still in there smae spot at the bottom. The inserts are 0 maint so I am taking that route for now. Maybe later don the line I will jump back into the living world again, lol.

Archived