Cultivated Reef

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
Seeng the black blob of doom makes me so excited to get another angler! I'm definitely getting a baby like that. They are too cool!

He is definitely my favorite out of all my fish (don't tell the others). The only thing I don't like is that you can't have tank mates unless they're much much bigger.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He is definitely my favorite out of all my fish (don't tell the others). The only thing I don't like is that you can't have tank mates unless they're much much bigger.

At least for me with my 10g theres no room for tank mates anyways.

altolamprologus
At least for me with my 10g theres no room for tank mates anyways.

Lol yeah. I was going to get something like a zebra dartfish so it actually looks like there's something in the tank, but I hate to have to get rid of it once the angler gets close to being big enough to eat it.

altolamprologus
Let him have the tank to himself. Plus it's fun to bet people they can't find the fish in there ;).

I just wish he would grow faster. He like to hide in between the heater and glass so I'm just waiting for the day he gets too big and has to sit out in the open.

I just wish he would grow faster. He like to hide in between the heater and glass so I'm just waiting for the day he gets too big and has to sit out in the open.

Ever heard or a heater guard??? You could make one with some mesh and block him from being able to do that.

altolamprologus
Ever heard or a heater guard??? You could make one with some mesh and block him from being able to do that.

It doesn't bother me that much. I think in a few months he'll be too big to fit there anyway.

i can't find that feather duster thread, may I post here? My feather duster threw out its head. I thought it had died but no it is still in it's tube and growing a new feather or so it seems. It doesn't come out of the tube but I can see it moving inside of it. What causes them to drop their feathers?

altolamprologus
i can't find that feather duster thread, may I post here? My feather duster threw out its head. I thought it had died but no it is still in it's tube and growing a new feather or so it seems. It doesn't come out of the tube but I can see it moving inside of it. What causes them to drop their feathers?

They drop feathers when under extreme stress. Starvation is usually the cause in most causes.

altolamprologus
I have been feeding phyto, although it is not the live kind. IS there anything else in the entire world they eat besides that?

There's your problem. They only eat live phyto, nothing else. A pain in the butt isn't it?

How often are water changes on this tank?

I do water changes whenever I feel like it. It usually ends up being once every 10 days or so.

altolamprologus

I have 2 packages of macroalgae coming next week. One is from reef cleaners and the other from keydiver. Once I get the new macros I promise I'll get a new FTS up. It's been almost 4 months since the last one and my tank looks nothing like that :lol:

There's your problem. They only eat live phyto, nothing else. A pain in the butt isn't it?

not necessarily, when what they eat is readily available.

I have a ton of duster clusters that were HH on my LR that seem to be thriving, are they not the same animal species and how come they have survived without live phyto?

altolamprologus
not necessarily, when what they eat is readily available.

I have a ton of duster clusters that were HH on my LR that seem to be thriving, are they not the same animal species and how come they have survived without live phyto?

The little hitchhiker dusters are generalists and will eat just about everything they can catch, whereas the big ornamental ones are extremely specialized.

I believe they eat random bacteria in the tank too, although the natural bacteria in our tank alone is not enough to support the larger ones you buy from the LFS

altolamprologus
I believe they eat random bacteria in the tank too, although the natural bacteria in our tank alone is not enough to support the larger ones you buy from the LFS

Pelagic bacteria is considered part of the phytoplankton.

altolamprologus

So idk if I ever posted this on here, but I've had a baby sun coral in here for about a month, give or take a couple weeks. It's been eating like a champ, getting about 10 meals a week and now has 3 or 4 baby polyps growing :)

I do water changes whenever I feel like it. It usually ends up being once every 10 days or so.

Ok. So I'm like going to do a 50/50 reef/macro tank. I will have like 5-6 fish, feed a lot, and run my skimmer. Like should is tills till do big weekly water changes if I have a lot of macro?

altolamprologus
Ok. So I'm like going to do a 50/50 reef/macro tank. I will have like 5-6 fish, feed a lot, and run my skimmer. Like should is tills till do big weekly water changes if I have a lot of macro?

Depends on the macro species. Slow growing ones won't do much to remove nutrients, but fast growing ones like gracilaria and titan will essentially act as pretty chaeto and reduce the need for water changes. I'd say 25% every 2 weeks is a good start and you can adjust from there.

I was thinking of getting this 2 bulb T5 fixture for this tank. Any thoughts?

i got two of those. i can grow some acros if kept high enough, and any acans i want on the bottom.

when i had just one acans still did just fine on the bottom, and kept euphyllia in middle-top parts of my tank.

Archived