ReefCleaners.org

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus

My ballast decided to stop working this morning. I even tried different plugs and exchanged bulbs with a known working ballast and it still didn't work. It's 8 years old to the month, so I guess that's a reasonable life span. Time to order my T5s!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
altolamprologus
your laugh was maniacal when the blob ate the fish. too cute.

I was hoping nobody would hear that. I don't really sound like that I swear.

My ballast decided to stop working this morning. I even tried different plugs and exchanged bulbs with a known working ballast and it still didn't work. It's 8 years old to the month, so I guess that's a reasonable life span. Time to order my T5s!

I have two extra T8 fixtures (like yours) laying around if you want to borrow one before your T5s get here

altolamprologus
I have two extra T8 fixtures (like yours) laying around if you want to borrow one before your T5s get here

Nah it's ok, I'm using the t8 from the cycling cardinal tank. I figure I can use it on this tank during the day and move it back to the cardinal tank in the evening to give those macros some light. My t5s should be shipping out tomorrow or wednesday so hopefully I'll get them this week or early next week. Thanks though!

altolamprologus

My T5s came today. Props to marine deport for being hecka fast! It's rediculous how much brighter my tank is omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

I found some screen and put 2 layers of that over the tank to dim it a bit and help the macros and temporary corals light acclimate.

My T5s came today. Props to marine deport for being hecka fast! It's rediculous how much brighter my tank is omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg omgomgomg

I found some screen and put 2 layers of that over the tank to dim it a bit and help the macros and temporary corals light acclimate.

They were awesome for me too. Fast got them literally 4 days after ordering!

altolamprologus
They were awesome for me too. Fast got them literally 4 days after ordering!

Yeah no kidding I orders this 2 days ago!

Yeah no kidding I orders this 2 days ago!

IKR? I ordered and I was like "Wait... It's been like three hours... Why is it already here?" :o

Cool video. I love this fish, I want one but I'd need to setup a tank just for it. I doubt my wrasse, YWG and Firefin would last too long.

I assume you have an iPhone like me. I always forget to turn the phone horizontally when I take a video with it and end up with vertical YouTube videos of my tank. :/

altolamprologus
Cool video. I love this fish, I want one but I'd need to setup a tank just for it. I doubt my wrasse, YWG and Firefin would last too long.

I assume you have an iPhone like me. I always forget to turn the phone horizontally when I take a video with it and end up with vertical YouTube videos of my tank. :/

It would probably eat your ywg but I doubt it could catch the wrasse or firefish. Mine can't catch a damsel unless I corner it right in front of his face. Even then, he takes his time

Actually it's an ipod nano. I wish I had an iphone

You know I really loved my yellow angler that I used to have and I think I want to get another one, Maybe a black one like you have or one of the species that stay's fairly small and put him in my RSM130 mixed reef...I know he will be fine in there with the fish I currently have "starry blenny, large royal gramma and a fiji yellow belly damsel" I figure I can keep the angler until I get my pair of picasso or wyoming white clownfish and then I can move him to my 65 gallon FOWLR

altolamprologus
You know I really loved my yellow angler that I used to have and I think I want to get another one, Maybe a black one like you have or one of the species that stay's fairly small and put him in my RSM130 mixed reef...I know he will be fine in there with the fish I currently have "starry blenny, large royal gramma and a fiji yellow belly damsel" I figure I can keep the angler until I get my pair of picasso or wyoming white clownfish and then I can move him to my 65 gallon FOWLR

It might eat the starry blenny. Anything that slows down long enough to be snapped at is fair game. But if the blenny is bigger you won't have a problem. There are a few species that stay pretty darn small, I've just never seen them for sale. Smallest common one would be a wartskin

They can change color too so just because you get a black one doesn't mean it will stay black. I'm sure you knew that though.

It might eat the starry blenny. Anything that slows down long enough to be snapped at is fair game. But if the blenny is bigger you won't have a problem. There are a few species that stay pretty darn small, I've just never seen them for sale. Smallest common one would be a wartskin

They can change color too so just because you get a black one doesn't mean it will stay black. I'm sure you knew that though.

Yeah I know about them, I have worked and been in the hobby for the last 16 years, The starry blenny is full grown so I'm not worried about him getting eaten since he is so large plus he hangs out at the top of the tank in a cave, Honestly he's about 2 times the length of the angler you have

I commonly see them down here at under an inch long so if I get one it will be super small like that anyways,and if he gets to big that he bocomes a problem I will just move him to the 65 gallon anyways

altolamprologus
Yeah I know about them, I have worked and been in the hobby for the last 16 years, The starry blenny is full grown so I'm not worried about him getting eaten since he is so large plus he hangs out at the top of the tank in a cave, Honestly he's about 2 times the length of the angler you have

I commonly see them down here at under an inch long so if I get one it will be super small like that anyways,and if he gets to big that he bocomes a problem I will just move him to the 65 gallon anyways

Sounds like you got it all worked out. I can't to see it when you get it :)

altolamprologus
Could I keep a Wartskin in a 10 gallon?

Size-wise, maybe. Bioload, probably not. If the tank has a sump and skimmer it's do-able, but I would try to get the biggest tank possible. Although with how slow they grow, if you got a small one like mine, you could upgrade a couple years down the road.

Size-wise, maybe. Bioload, probably not. If the tank has a sump and skimmer it's do-able, but I would try to get the biggest tank possible. Although with how slow they grow, if you got a small one like mine, you could upgrade a couple years down the road.

I figured as much. How often does he need to eat? I noticed some people have their trained to eat frozen, does your angler? And if so, was it hard to get him to eat?

I think if the tank was heavily planted liked yours it would help with nutrient export. But with the bio-load I can see a skimmer helping a lot. I don’t skim my thirty gallon reef but I change five gallons a week. I also have a good amount of macro in it. No sump though.

I think this thread needs a new FTS....;)

Also, this.

altolamprologus
I think this thread needs a new FTS....;)

No it does not. This tank looks like absolute crap right now so I'm not posting pics until it has the new rock and gets cleaned up.

I figured as much. How often does he need to eat? I noticed some people have their trained to eat frozen, does your angler? And if so, was it hard to get him to eat?

I think if the tank was heavily planted liked yours it would help with nutrient export. But with the bio-load I can see a skimmer helping a lot. I don’t skim my thirty gallon reef but I change five gallons a week. I also have a good amount of macro in it. No sump though.

How often they need to eat depends on how big of meals they get. When I give my angler small meals, I'll feed him everyday. When he gets big meals (like fish his same size), I don't feed him for 3 or 4 days. Mine does eat frozen and it was pretty simple to get him trained. It took maybe 2 weeks for him to eat frozen food every time I tried. Although from what I've read, it usually takes longer and some never eat frozen at all. It's good to still feed live food though because they get lazy when frozen food is just handed to them and they have no need to hunt.

How often they need to eat depends on how big of meals they get. When I give my angler small meals, I'll feed him everyday. When he gets big meals (like fish his same size), I don't feed him for 3 or 4 days. Mine does eat frozen and it was pretty simple to get him trained. It took maybe 2 weeks for him to eat frozen food every time I tried. Although from what I've read, it usually takes longer and some never eat frozen at all. It's good to still feed live food though because they get lazy when frozen food is just handed to them and they have no need to hunt.

Sounds like I would need to breed ghost shrimp or saltwater mollies for the days where Big Als doesn't have Chromis on for $5 each.

Archived