Innovative Marine Aquariums

20gal Commerson's Angler Paradise

altolamprologus

altolamprologus
What about a 2ft 2 bulb fixture from fishneedit? It's like $65

Hmm I might do that. Doesn't seem like it would be high quality though

i got two of those. i can grow some acros if kept high enough, and any acans i want on the bottom.

when i had just one acans still did just fine on the bottom, and kept euphyllia in middle-top parts of my tank.

Good to know. I'm just doing macros so I think one fixture will be plenty

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

also i kept halimeda on the bottom and it died :/

not sure if it was the light or something else, the tank before it was 4 x 8w T5NOs

altolamprologus
also i kept halimeda on the bottom and it died :/

not sure if it was the light or something else, the tank before it was 4 x 8w T5NOs

Had to be something besides light. I have 2 types of halimeda on the sandbed under a single T8 and they're doing ok

altolamprologus

I HATE damsels. Pancakes killed eggs last week so I've just been waiting for the angler to eat him so I can get nicer fish. Well Pancakes is a fast muthaf*cka and the angler gave up trying to catch him and started begging for food. For the last 4 days I have been trying to catch pancakes and today I literally tore my entire tank apart to catch him, only to see him escape the net as the angler struck. Then he disappeared. I stuck my hand in every crevice and cave in the rocks (even though I have a fireworm) but still couldn't find him. I hope he jumped!

/rant

Have you considered expanding your rock work vertically? You have a lot of open water for a guy who likes to cling. Maybe throw in some tonga rock as legs to a base. Use alot of epoxy and acrylic rods for support. Create a tower of rock! lol.

I like the clean simple look your going for with emphasis on the macro algae. But a tower would be nice.

altolamprologus
Have you considered expanding your rock work vertically? You have a lot of open water for a guy who likes to cling. Maybe throw in some tonga rock as legs to a base. Use alot of epoxy and acrylic rods for support. Create a tower of rock! lol.

I like the clean simple look your going for with emphasis on the macro algae. But a tower would be nice.

Funny you say that, I actually have a pretty big rock cycling at the moment that will be put in this tank once it's done :)

I got a big 50+ polyp sun coral today :D I can't wait until I have it trained to be out during the day!!

altolamprologus
Haha well I'll have to come over next week and get a picture! :)

Are all the new Sun Coral's heads out?

Yep. They started coming out during acclimation :lol:

altolamprologus

They started going away when I turned the light on, but here they are. The hitch hiker sun is the little yellow blob on the left

suncorals.jpg

altolamprologus
Nice! The HH looks a lot lighter yellow in color

Yeah the HH is a true yellow whereas the new colony is more orange/pink. They look good together though!

Tracking this topic!! I have a second aquarium cycling and it happens to be a 20 long. I wanted to do a mantis shrimp tank or angler tank.

Do you know if you can keep more than one angler per tank?

altolamprologus
Tracking this topic!! I have a second aquarium cycling and it happens to be a 20 long. I wanted to do a mantis shrimp tank or angler tank.

Do you know if you can keep more than one angler per tank?

Yes you can as long as they are both the same species and same size. A pair of wartskin anglers would be nice for a 20L, they only get 4 inches.

Archived