inTank Media Baskets

Jgpicos Pico

jgpico

Take a pic in a day or two if the issue persists. PM isn't going to take out a clam days after it is noticed unless your water params are terrible to boot. PM can take weeks, or even months to kill an otherwise healthy clam. There is a good chance it is simply annoyed from the disruption of light, however, we can determine more from a photo.

check back tonight for a pic. I usually take a picture first thing when I see something like this. I was in a hurry this morning so I had to run out the door.

Being without light for just one day wont hurt a healthy clam at all. its not always bright and sunny every day on the reef!! I am guessing a clam can have PM for at least a month or so before it shows any obvious signs, but I do know the very first sign. Even if your clam looks awesome when the lights are on, watch how it closes in response to the lights turning off. IF your lights dimm down slow this may not work, but I only use halides, so when the lights suddenly turn off a healthy clam will pull its mantle in smoothly and all at the same time. If it is carrying PM it fold its mantle closed like origami. After a few weeks of this it will start to show folds during the day and will soon die if un attended.

That is what I figured about the light being off for a whole day. If you think about it when they are shipping its dark for a day if not longer. I am actually really good at watching my clams behavior and checking reflexes from day to day. I didnt notice anything out of the ordinary the day before the light mishap. Im at a loss here...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dut you're in Denver, Eugene is in NJ. :huh:

I have a box and bags and hand warmers ready to ship if I do find one. I looks like I lucked out though, I haven't seen another bargain bin clam since that day. Maybe petco figured out they are getting robbed selling them at that price lol.

You talking about setting it aside at elite? I'm going there tonight so I'll set it aside.

I was, I need a couple snails too.

I forgot about the Pacer game though.

I might have to go up tomorrow...

feels-bad-man-template.jpg

I was, I need a couple snails too.

I forgot about the Pacer game though.

I might have to go up tomorrow...

feels-bad-man-template.jpg

Damn pacers!

Get to work!

I'm stalling! I get off at 6:15 from verizon. Then its to elite I go. Plus I can't stop looking at the pacer cheerleader lol

QUOTE (jgpicodope009 @ May 23 2012, 12:25 AM)

Is this pinched mantle? Thanks for any advice or help.

Big time. In all honesty it looks too far gone to cure. If you have a quarantine tank you can give it a 30 minute fresh water dip, quarantine her.... and say a prayer. If you need to know the correct way to dip a clam let me know.

Wait..is that another big clam I see sitting next to the sick one?? You need to take action or that one will get sick too - for sure. Let me know asap.

Big time. In all honesty it looks too far gone to cure. If you have a quarantine tank you can give it a 30 minute fresh water dip, quarantine her.... and say a prayer. If you need to know the correct way to dip a clam let me know.

Wait..is that another big clam I see sitting next to the sick one?? You need to take action or that one will get sick too - for sure. Let me know asap.

Yeah, that is not good at all. That clam is toast unfortunately - it could be either PM or Pyramid snail (you'd be able to figure out if it was a snail after the clam decomps - check the inner shell for boring). Either way I'd remove that clam rather than let it die and start to decomp in the tank.

For the record,

One of the most important invert groups to quarantine before adding to your reef are clams. I have seen collections of 10 clams+ completely wiped out because one infected clam was added to the collection. If you already have clams in your tank that are established and doing well, than any new clams you plan to add should be put in a completely separate system for up to 3 months to make sure they do not have issues such as PM or Pyramid snails.

Yeah, that is not good at all. That clam is toast unfortunately - it could be either PM or Pyramid snail (you'd be able to figure out if it was a snail after the clam decomps - check the inner shell for boring). Either way I'd remove that clam rather than let it die and start to decomp in the tank.

For the record,

One of the most important invert groups to quarantine before adding to your reef are clams. I have seen collections of 10 clams+ completely wiped out because one infected clam was added to the collection. If you already have clams in your tank that are established and doing well, than any new clams you plan to add should be put in a completely separate system for up to 3 months to make sure they do not have issues such as PM or Pyramid snails.

Thank you tj. I didn't even think to qt my clams for that long. It makes perfect sense and I feel stupid for not taking more precautions when adding the new clam. It should have been the first thing I did besides inspecting it and doing a quick dip before putting it in the dt. Lesson learned and I will follow these guidelines when adding any new clams to my future tanks. I am not going to add another to this tank, it's too much and I'm not willing to keep going through clams. I researched like I do with everything else but now I know I have to be super cautious when it comes to clams. I think I might have been doomed from the beginning because the size of the clam and I also got it from Petco which I was hesitant to do in the first place. Thank you for the info and advice.

Thank you tj. I didn't even think to qt my clams for that long. It makes perfect sense and I feel stupid for not taking more precautions when adding the new clam. It should have been the first thing I did besides inspecting it and doing a quick dip before putting it in the dt. Lesson learned and I will follow these guidelines when adding any new clams to my future tanks. I am not going to add another to this tank, it's too much and I'm not willing to keep going through clams. I researched like I do with everything else but now I know I have to be super cautious when it comes to clams. I think I might have been doomed from the beginning because the size of the clam and I also got it from Petco which I was hesitant to do in the first place. Thank you for the info and advice.

I once had 47 clams in a 210 which all eventually succumbed to PM.

A lot of us have learned the hard way. Unfortunately not enough people advocate that sort of quarantine procedure for clams, and therefore it is not considered common knowledge, or as widely discussed as it should be. The reason QT is so long is because clams can have PM and seem very healthy for a long time without showing signs.

That is the hardest lesson to learn - a very close friend who taught me most of what I know about clams and reefing lost nearly 100 clams to a PM infection.

Wow. That would be horrible! I don't know what I would do, my heart and wallet would hurt lol.

PM is a transmittable disease? Good thing I haven't bought any clams, I'm clueless.

Sorry about the rash of bad luck man, seems to be going around lately.

PM is a transmittable disease? Good thing I haven't bought any clams, I'm clueless.

Sorry about the rash of bad luck man, seems to be going around lately.

I'm jus waiting for the next bad thing to happen. This is how my luck goes.

Wow. That would be horrible! I don't know what I would do, my heart and wallet would hurt lol.

Now you know why i hadn't purchased a clam in nearly 3 years..BUT IM BACK NOW!

fingerscrossed

How many have you gone through?

2. The first one I had for 8 months or longer. Grew like crazy and was healthy until one day it took a dive just like this one. My other maxima has been doing good the whole time. I hope it doesn't take a turn for the worst.

Archived