inTank Media Baskets

Jeff's U.P. LED BioCube 29G --> Out of Hobby Sale

msujeff

Well it looks like my actinic bulb crapped out on me today... only three months old <_< . Hopefully my led kit from nanotuners comes in the next week or two.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cant wait to see your new LED fixture :happy:

Great thread. Been wanting the mp10 also but I will have to stick with my two nanos until I save up. Looking forward to updates.

cant wait to see your new LED fixture :happy:

Same here!

Great thread. Been wanting the mp10 also but I will have to stick with my two nanos until I save up. Looking forward to updates.

Yeah the MP10 is great and I'm glad I just went for it when I was deciding what equipment to get.

Gr8_Outdoorsman

Hi msujeff,,,, I was curious how all of the livestock is holding up (cuc, corals, clowns, goby, shrimp)? Is your tank producing enough algae to keep the cuc alive and well? Have you noticed anymore ammonia or nitrate spikes?

You are ahead of me by a bit in terms of the tank setup. I'm also considering going with the black/white clown with a standard orange/white. Did they end up pairing off together?

Hi msujeff,,,, I was curious how all of the livestock is holding up (cuc, corals, clowns, goby, shrimp)? Is your tank producing enough algae to keep the cuc alive and well? Have you noticed anymore ammonia or nitrate spikes?

You are ahead of me by a bit in terms of the tank setup. I'm also considering going with the black/white clown with a standard orange/white. Did they end up pairing off together?

std clown with a black/white should be fine in your tank. i have had that combo for the last 4 years and they are happy friends. however they have never tried to mate so.....

wow! how many CUC guys do you have in there? I just upgraded to the MP10 for my BC29g and it rules.

nice looking tank btw

Yeah it may be on the larger side but I went with John's recommendation and like always I received a few extras. I would like to take one of the emeralds out, I think two was one (or two) too many. I'm going to leave them in for now and supplement their food with some algea sheets. The closest lfs is 2 hours away so just dropping them off is a little hard.

Everything is holding up well. The clowns and the cleaner eat anything and everything I feed them. The hi fin and randalli shrimp kinda do their own thing. I'll see them out all the time for a few days and then they'll just camp out in their burrow with the opening closed off... The hi fin is the only one I'm worried about not getting enough food but he looks like he's doing alright.

I get algea dusting on the glass every few day so I think there's enough for them to eat. They cleared out the cycles GHA bloom in a week or two.

The b&w occy looks pretty sweet and the two clowns seem to be getting along fine. Sometimes they stick together and sometimes they're in different part of the tank. I haven't noticed any aggression from either of them. The b&w is about 1.25" and the orange one is about .75".

Gr8_Outdoorsman

As always, thank you very much for the feedback. Sounds like everything is getting along well.... Congrats!

I'm really looking forward to adding fish, but that I will probably wait until March before I do it. I added a CUC yesterday and was amazed how quick they devoured the diatom and algae already. CUC in freshwater are a joke compared to the saltwater guys. That's why I'm debating giving them a little algae here and there to make sure they don't starve...

Hey Jeff, the tank is looking good but we need some more pictures :)

Honestly this thread is half the reason I'm buying so much stuff! You mentioned that you like your RKL. Are you doing anything fancy with it or mostly using it as a timer?

Great looking tank and I am enjoying all the updates.

I have made a lot of the same updates to my BC14 that you have done and have been looking at the MP10, but not sure if it would be an over kill in the 14.

Following along and can't wait to see the new lights.

Same here!

Yeah the MP10 is great and I'm glad I just went for it when I was deciding what equipment to get.

Great looking tank! Quick question - how did you keep your MP10 from turning your tank into a 29G sandstorm :o

Thanks for the kind replies.

@Psychon: Timer of the lights, using standby with the pump, skimmer and ato, and going to set up the heater today since I received another PC4

@LiveRock27: It may be a little overkill but it will still provide great random flow. You can also use it if you upgrade to a larger tank in the future

@RyGuy103: I'm using the MP10 at about 50% reef crest mode. I have the seaflor special substrate, its about 1-2mm grain size. If i crank up the MP10 then it looks like sandstorm city

@spanko: I've been following your tank for some time, one of my favorites. Grew up in Brighton, went to msu, I'll never consider myself a yooper

Which equipment do you think is better to invest in, Tunze Osomolater or a Vortech?

for the ATO I could get JBJ and aqualifter

what do you think?

Are you looking at the Tunze or the JBJ for an ATO? From what people say the tunze is very nice but its also twice the price of the JBJ. I haven't had any problems with my JBJ and glad i picked up an ATO.

The vortech is a very nice pump and has a ton of features. The random flow, ease of use, and features like feed mode are great.

Both the vortech and an ATO are nice items to have but are luxury items that are not a necessity. I think there is more benefits that come with using a ATO over a vortech such as tank automation and preventing salinity swings. But the vortech is just really neat and you'll actually be able to see it in action, where the ATO just tops off the water. Hard to pick between the two options but you cannot go wrong with either selection.

Are you looking at the Tunze or the JBJ for an ATO? From what people say the tunze is very nice but its also twice the price of the JBJ. I haven't had any problems with my JBJ and glad i picked up an ATO.

The vortech is a very nice pump and has a ton of features. The random flow, ease of use, and features like feed mode are great.

Both the vortech and an ATO are nice items to have but are luxury items that are not a necessity. I think there is more benefits that come with using a ATO over a vortech such as tank automation and preventing salinity swings. But the vortech is just really neat and you'll actually be able to see it in action, where the ATO just tops off the water. Hard to pick between the two options but you cannot go wrong with either selection.

I was thinking of going with Vortech and JBJ ATO. Do you have any pictures of how you have it set up with the aqualifter pump and the tubing/stand shot etc?

thanks

I was thinking of going with Vortech and JBJ ATO. Do you have any pictures of how you have it set up with the aqualifter pump and the tubing/stand shot etc?

thanks

I'll snap a couple and post them up.

That would be great thanks! Now about the RO/DI unit, I can not have it permanently plumbed into a faucet, can I just connect/disconnect to faucet every time I need water?

Also for your ATO basically a semi DIY you have

JBJ Controller

Toms Aqualifter

Tubing? if so what kind/size?

reservoir

thanks again

The set up is as follows

ATO: JBJ ATO

pump: aqua lifter

reservoir: 2.5 gallon aquarium, I will probably be switching this out to a water container kinda like this

thumbnail_5%20Gallon%20Translucent%20Water%20Container.jpg

my original plan was to use a MJ1200 as the pump so I needed a place where I could set up both sensors and this tank made the most sense

tubing: airline tubing

ato sensor: chamber three

The JBJ ATO unit is on the left. You can see the aqua lifter (blueish color top) in the top left corner buried by cords. The aqua lifter draws water up from the tank on the bottom shelf and pumps it up through the back and up to chamber three. The tubing connects to a rigid plastic "U" commonly used for acclimation drip lines.

100_5070.jpg

100_5071.jpg

The tubing with the blue air valve is for the skimmer. You can see the "U" by the power cord attached to the tubing for the skimmer where the water is "dumped" in (more like a trickle)

For the ro/di, I set it up in my spare bedroom. On the cold water line (never use hot water, ruins the filters), I attached a splitter which goes to the ro/di. There is a ball valve that shuts off the unit when its not in use. This all came with the ro/di package from BRS. There was a facet adapter that you can just plug the unit into when ever you need it but I think that would start to get annoying when ever you have to make water. I like having it set up all the time but out of the way. Obviously depending on the bathroom/water source this may not be possible.

100_5076.jpg

I have this weird opening next to the cabinets so I build a little stand that I attached the unit to.

100_5075.jpg

I like the way you've set out the rock. I'm going to try something similar.

Tank is looking good. :happy:

Thanks. I did change it slightly a few days ago so ill put up a new pic later tonight.

Some new pics, nothing special. Still waiting for the leds to ship so nothing more is going to be added till those are put in.

100_5073.jpg

FTS 2/15/11

100_5068.jpg

Hi-Fin Goby and his pistol

100_5063.jpg

The boss is begging for some food

100_5054.jpg

ID?

100_5051.jpg

Feed me

:D

Some new pics, nothing special. Still waiting for the leds to ship so nothing more is going to be added till those are put in.

100_5059.jpg

FTS 2/15/11

100_5068.jpg

Hi-Fin Goby and his pistol

100_5063.jpg

The boss is begging for some food

100_5054.jpg

ID?

100_5051.jpg

Feed me

:D

looks like a candy cane to me.