inTank Media Baskets

Jeff's U.P. LED BioCube 29G --> Out of Hobby Sale

msujeff

Nice! Just make sure to use that sponge MP10 wet side cover, or you WILL evtually chip / break your blade from the dwarf cerinths getting caught in there. Youll have to clean it every week / when you replace your floss in the back, I just rinse mine out really good.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nice! Just make sure to use that sponge MP10 wet side cover, or you WILL evtually chip / break your blade from the dwarf cerinths getting caught in there. Youll have to clean it every week / when you replace your floss in the back, I just rinse mine out really good.

Thanks for the heads up.

Drove out to the lfs that is closest to me, about 1.5-2 hours away. It was very, very disappointing. They had two display tanks that were dreadful. They had a few corals for sale that looked really bad and were all very expensive. Looks like the only option for a lfs is 4 hours away which would cost me 80-100 in gas and a whole day of traveling. Most livestock will be coming through the mail...

I picked up two emeralds and two red legged hermits for my cuc. They're pretty fun to watch, always moving/eating.

EDIT: Discovered a tiny blue leg hermit in a dwarf cerith shell today. I'm surprised he made the 6 day trip from FL to MI. About 40% (5ish) of the Florida Ceriths didn't make the long trip. The larger ones survived but the smaller ones made up most of the casualties. I watched the Nassarius feeding frenzy on one of them, pretty cool. I guess the tiny blue leg has some options for homes when he grows.

I'm looking to add my first fish in the next few weeks or so and this is my current stocking plans:

1. Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops yasha) paired with Red Banded Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)

2. False Perc Pair (Amphiprion ocellaris, one orange and one B&W)

3. Type of Wrasse (maybe a Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse Wetmorella nigropinnata)

What is the best order to these?

The clowns will be juveniles so hopefully they will pair up nicely and not fight too much. I'm thinking of getting the B&W slightly bigger so it will be the female.

What is the best way to add the yasha and the randalli that are not already paired? Place them in the tank at the exact same time? One first then the other?

Thanks!

Tried out some new Salifert test kits today. Very easy to use.

7.7 dKH

1200 mag

420 calc (approx. kit says "add till a clear blue appears", i was expecting a light blue but it was just a reg blue)

Still need help with the stocking question a post above ^

jeff,

Add the yasha and the shrimp now, but be ready for the shrimp to take control of the sand bed. My pistol is constantly turning the sand over and opening up one entrance one day, only to close it the next. I love him with the YWG!

Clowns next, then the Wrasse!

BTW, how do you like the salifert dKH test? I am still using the API and it only tests the DKH in even numbers.

jeff,

Add the yasha and the shrimp now, but be ready for the shrimp to take control of the sand bed. My pistol is constantly turning the sand over and opening up one entrance one day, only to close it the next. I love him with the YWG!

Clowns next, then the Wrasse!

BTW, how do you like the salifert dKH test? I am still using the API and it only tests the DKH in even numbers.

That order is what I figured, I'll probably add the yasha and shrimp in a couple of weeks and then the clowns a month or two later. I only have a cuc in right now and no corals. Once I get my 5.6 kit from nanotuners, I'm going to put in an order with reefgardener and maybe a zoa/ric order from coral morphologic.

The salifert test kits are nice, you mix up a solution with some tank water then you add another solution drop by drop from a 1ml syringe that's marked to the hundredth place. Once it turns a certain color, read the syringe and look at the chart.

I'll add Greg to my list of potential businesses to buy from. I don't think I've check his site out yet, I will definitely check that out tonight when I get out of work.

The live rock was already cycled and since I went with 25% LR to 75% dry rock, my cycle wasn't very pronounced and didn't last long leading to a big algea bloom that my cuc did some work on. :)

Received an email from nanotuners today and there's some good and bad news. Bad news if I'm going to have to wait a couple more weeks for my 5.6 kit. Good news is that they're making some changes, some pretty sexy changes. :happy: I'll let them release the details themselves but I'm excited. I just hope a couple of weeks doesn't turn into a couple of months.

Flying_Hellfish

10 days after snail delivery... how did they hold up? Is the CUC sized right for your tank? I'll be shopping CUCs in the next week or so but all the quick crews seem so large for a 29g.

10 days after snail delivery... how did they hold up? Is the CUC sized right for your tank? I'll be shopping CUCs in the next week or so but all the quick crews seem so large for a 29g.

The cuc obliterated the algae in my tank and they're holding up pretty well. It seems like the ones that survived the shipping debacle are still going strong. After the order from reefcleaners, I added two emerald crabs and two dwarf red tip hermits.

The size seemed a little heavy from my tank but only time will tell how theyll do with out the large about of algae in the tank when they were put in.

I made up my own order. I emailed John and got a recommendation for a BC29 and just ordered what he said. The custom crew packages may save you a couple of dollars but nothing big.

Flying_Hellfish
The cuc obliterated the algae in my tank and they're holding up pretty well. It seems like the ones that survived the shipping debacle are still going strong. After the order from reefcleaners, I added two emerald crabs and two dwarf red tip hermits.

The size seemed a little heavy from my tank but only time will tell how theyll do with out the large about of algae in the tank when they were put in.

I made up my own order. I emailed John and got a recommendation for a BC29 and just ordered what he said. The custom crew packages may save you a couple of dollars but nothing big.

My last tank I went on the small side and built it up over time that's why I was wondering how yours is working out.

The custom crews are cheaper from the standpoint that shipping is free. :) I might still go that route and put some of the snails in my 55g

My last tank I went on the small side and built it up over time that's why I was wondering how yours is working out.

The custom crews are cheaper from the standpoint that shipping is free. :) I might still go that route and put some of the snails in my 55g

Priority shipping is "free", it's just built into the price. My order with shipping cost like $25.

You will get like 5 times the amount of dwarf ceriths. I ordered 30 and had at least 150 in there. With the other snails you may find a couple of extras but nothing like the dwarf ceriths.

Everything is going smoothly. Testing is within acceptable levels for a tank that's two months old. I can pretty much do a WC in my sleep now. I love having my own ro/di, it makes things so much easier than distilled from walmart.

I'm going to wait on corals till the 5.6 led gets here, hopefully by February but well see. The changes nanotuners is making to their kits is well worth the wait. :happy:

I am going to add a yasha goby and a randalli shrimp when liveaquaria gets them back in stock. Both have been out of stock for the past week.

Thanks for looking!

Any news on how long the 5.6 kit is delayed?

A "couple of weeks" is what I was told on 1/12. I'm hoping by the end of January I'll get a more exact date.

:happydance:

Just placed an order with liveaquaria!

1. Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)

2. Red Banded Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)

3. Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

Fedex Priority Overnight shipping tomorrow!

Order arrived this morning and they have been acclimated and added to the tank. The hi-fin and the randalli paired up instantly and the randalli has been moving non stop building a burrow for them. Pretty cool.

:D

Here's some pics of the process:

100_5022.jpg

Shipment arrived from Cali

100_5024.jpg

Temperature Acclimating

100_5025.jpg

Drip Acclimating

100_5027.jpg

FTS 1/21/11

Order arrived this morning and they have been acclimated and added to the tank. The hi-fin and the randalli paired up instantly and the randalli has been moving non stop building a burrow for them. Pretty cool.

:D

Here's some pics of the process:

100_5022.jpg

Shipment arrived from Cali

100_5024.jpg

Temperature Acclimating

100_5025.jpg

Drip Acclimating

100_5027.jpg

FTS 1/21/11

Looking good! How many hours per day are you running the lights? Since we are on the same lighting for now, I thought I'd ask.

Looking good! How many hours per day are you running the lights? Since we are on the same lighting for now, I thought I'd ask.

9 hours total

Actinics 11am-8pm

whites: 12pm-7pm

moonlights: 730pm-1130am

Edit: Now running 9 hours instead of 8

Archived