Pod Your Reef

Jeff's U.P. LED BioCube 29G --> Out of Hobby Sale

msujeff

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Researching the nanotuners 5.6 leds, deciding on which of the led combos to go with:

3 whites and 2 blues

OR

2 whites, 1 white/blue, and 2 blues

Any suggestions?

i have the exact setup as you, except i run the CPR SR3 skimmer and no media basket. i just installed my nanotuners 5.6 LED 2 months ago. i did white, blue, 50/50, blue, white. (whites & 50/50 on one power supply, blues on the other) amazing color transformation of my corals and still coloring up on a weekly basis. the royal blues make the colors really pop. but it is almost impossible to capture a decent picture of the tank due to the brightness of the LED's. i'd do the upgrade before adding too much stock to the tank, otherwise you'll need to acclimate the tank to the LED's over a few weeks time....best of luck

i have the exact setup as you, except i run the CPR SR3 skimmer and no media basket. i just installed my nanotuners 5.6 LED 2 months ago. i did white, blue, 50/50, blue, white. (whites & 50/50 on one power supply, blues on the other) amazing color transformation of my corals and still coloring up on a weekly basis. the royal blues make the colors really pop. but it is almost impossible to capture a decent picture of the tank due to the brightness of the LED's. i'd do the upgrade before adding too much stock to the tank, otherwise you'll need to acclimate the tank to the LED's over a few weeks time....best of luck

Everyone is saying the pics on their threads dont do the LEDs justice. I'm going to call nanotuners today and see what they say.

I'm not going to put any corals in till I decide on my lights. I'm putting the cuc in this week and want them to do their thing before I add more livestock.

I'm so jealous of your Vortex...

My Korallia 750 sticks out like a sore thumb in my tank.

Thanks, I was going to go with the 750 but sprang for the vortech. I'm very glad I did.

Thanks, I was going to go with the 750 but sprang for the vortech. I'm very glad I did.

i ran 2 koralia evoultions (425gph each) for a year......swapped them out for one mp10!!!! what an amazing difference, my clowns play in the current all day and sleep/feed mode are so handy!!! best investment in my CUBE.

i ran 2 koralia evoultions (425gph each) for a year......swapped them out for one mp10!!!! what an amazing difference, my clowns play in the current all day and sleep/feed mode are so handy!!! best investment in my CUBE.

I love the simplicity of use and can't wait to see how my livestock feels about it.

Any thread of your tank?

LED Update:

Just got off the phone with Chris from Nanotuners. Answered a bunch of questions and was very helpful. Even though the led/T5 hybrid may be coming out in a few months, I'm going to go with the 5.6 with 2 strips of whites, 2 strips of blues, and 1 strip of the 50/50. Probably place the order within the next day or so. :happy:

I love the simplicity of use and can't wait to see how my livestock feels about it.

Any thread of your tank?

LED Update:

Just got off the phone with Chris from Nanotuners. Answered a bunch of questions and was very helpful. Even though the led/T5 hybrid may be coming out in a few months, I'm going to go with the 5.6 with 2 strips of whites, 2 strips of blues, and 1 strip of the 50/50. Probably place the order within the next day or so. :happy:

That's the exact set up that I got.

Here's an FTS taken a few mins ago with it all on.

post-39026-1293478730_thumb.jpg

You'll be very pleased with the LED kit from nanotuners anbout 5 months ago. I got the 5.6 with three blue strips and two whites (I like the bluish look) and I love it. I have had consistent growth of all of my corals- Hope you enjoy it!

Lol, you scaped your tank *exactly* like I wanted to scape mine (didn't work out though b/c of the rocks)...

I love Leds. :wub: Can't help you with your color ratio though as I'm using neutral whites with the rb instead of cool whites... :huh:

:lol:

The top of the tunze says "Made in W. Germany"

classic

Western Germany??? :o Dude, I live in Germany and I've never seen that one... it's always "made in Germany".... but whatever... XD

Western Germany??? :o Dude, I live in Germany and I've never seen that one... it's always "made in Germany".... but whatever... XD

Either the skimmer was made in the '80s or the company just wants to stick to it's roots. Lol

Where in Germany? I've been there twice and took German in college (pretty much lost it all by now and that was only a couple of years ago)

"Stick to its roots"? :lol: Well, the Bavarians are pretty strange folks so who knows. ;) Foreigners love them though. They're the only Germans who'll wear "lederhosen", :lol:

To answer your question, I live close to Bremen.

Personally, I wouldn't wanna learn German as a secondary language, it is kind of really confusing (if it's not your native language, that is).

Though, I chose Latin, so who am I to talk... :rolleyes:

And back to topic: Have you thought about which fish you'd like to put in the tank? Just curious... :P

"Stick to its roots"? :lol: Well, the Bavarians are pretty strange folks so who knows. ;) Foreigners love them though. They're the only Germans who'll wear "lederhosen", :lol:

To answer your question, I live close to Bremen.

Personally, I wouldn't wanna learn German as a secondary language, it is kind of really confusing (if it's not your native language, that is).

Though, I chose Latin, so who am I to talk... :rolleyes:

And back to topic: Have you thought about which fish you'd like to put in the tank? Just curious... :P

I had to take a foreign language for my degree and german it was. Wish I would have taken spanish, I had to learn it anyways for my job. Anyways..

Fish Plans:

Pair of Amphiprion ocellaris Clownfish, one orange and one black and white

Goby (not sure yet on which one, ranked in preference)

1. Yasha White Ray Shrimp Goby (Stonogobiops yasha)

2. Hi Fin Red Banded Goby (Stonogobiops nematodes)

3. Yellow Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus)

Shrimp:

Red Banded Snapping Shrimp (Alpheus randalli)

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

I'm not sure on another fish, Firefish or possibly a Six Line Wrasse but it may cause problems later on. Open to suggestions.

westcoastcowboy
6HF, not 5HF

No. Choose the fuge basket or the skimmer. You can always upgrade to the skimmer later and take the fuge basket out. If you run the 9002 you can use one shelf of the basket for chaeto.

out

I have been running the same upgraded system as yours for 6 months now, upgraded pump, skimmer, media baskit, works great. The only problem I have had is with the canopy, the fans sometimes make a grinding noise but it seems to be happening less over time.

Check out the adhesive LED for around $40.00, i stuck mine directly on the clear light cover and it makes a huge difference in the look of the tank, takes away the yellow tint.

I have been running the same upgraded system as yours for 6 months now, upgraded pump, skimmer, media baskit, works great. The only problem I have had is with the canopy, the fans sometimes make a grinding noise but it seems to be happening less over time.

Check out the adhesive LED for around $40.00, i stuck mine directly on the clear light cover and it makes a huge difference in the look of the tank, takes away the yellow tint.

Nice, my fans have been great so far. I would call oceanic and see if you could get some replacement fans before your warranty is up. It's worth a try especially if they just cut out one day.

I'm going with the 5.6 led kit from nanotuners with the R2 moon light. I tried to order it last night but the site was preventing me for some reason. I'm goons give a call over there today.

I wrote a guide for replacing them. It sounds like you're more than capable of doing it. But there's a link in here directly to the customer service area of oceanic and what to put in there to get the free fan replacements.

here

Received my BRS RO/DI 5 stage plus system today, the packing job by BRS is amazing. Probably could have kicked the package from WI to MI and it would have been fine. I'm going to set it up tonight and post some pics, looks solid.

Ordered the Nanotuners 5.6 LED Retro kit this morning and have been exchanging emails with Chris all day about the payment.

Still waiting on the cuc from reefcleaners. Was suppose to come today but may have missed the carrier that left his morning for the run. Hopefully first thing tomorrow.

Well it looks like USPS delivered an invisible package this morning from reefcleaners. I just received a confirmation email saying it was delivered at 9:46am but it's no where to be found... I've been home all day so there was never a knock, mailbox has nothing, apartment complex office has nothing...

I'm glad my last two days revolved around this package and in the end it looks like it disappeared... Thanks USPS.

Well it looks like USPS delivered an invisible package this morning from reefcleaners. I just received a confirmation email saying it was delivered at 9:46am but it's no where to be found... I've been home all day so there was never a knock, mailbox has nothing, apartment complex office has nothing...

I'm glad my last two days revolved around this package and in the end it looks like it disappeared... Thanks USPS.

That really sucks!! What was in it?

Cuc from reefcleaners, $15 of snails plus 10 for shipping. Lesson learned, stay away from shipping around the holidays. I think an eager postal worker was thinking about the new year rather than making sure I got the package. Well see Monday if it's a total loss.

Installed the JBJ ATO today, works pretty well. The aqua lifter is kinda slow at topping off but I think I'm right at its 30" limit. I also moved the mp10 an inch lower, I was getting some bubbles every once in a while when it hit it's peak on reef crest mode.

Also set up the 5 stage plus RO/DI from bulkreefsupply. It's solid and looks pretty nice. 0 TDS so it looks like it was a good choice.

I've noticed some more life in my tank over the past few days, a two inch bristle worm and some small brittle stars made their appearance a few nights ago.

I have some GHA and maybe some bryopsis going on right now. Waiting on my cuc from reef cleaners, I should get it tomorrow. The story is here if you want to see what happened. I may run to the closest lfs (two hours away) on Tuesday and pick up a emerald crab and a couple of blue leg hermits.

The 5.6 LED kit and a R2 moonlight was confirmed by nanotuners and may ship late this week or next week. I went with two strips of whites, two strips of blues, and one strip of 50/50. I also ordered 2 Slienx 60x25mm fans from newegg. I was going to use the stock fans with the 5.6 but decided i should just switch them while I have the hood gutted anyways.

Glad your doing the DIY. I am gonna mod my Tunze 9002 from the video you found.

Installed the JBJ ATO today, works pretty well. The aqua lifter is kinda slow at topping off but I think I'm right at its 30" limit. I also moved the mp10 an inch lower, I was getting some bubbles every once in a while when it hit it's peak on reef crest mode.

Also set up the 5 stage plus RO/DI from bulkreefsupply. It's solid and looks pretty nice. 0 TDS so it looks like it was a good choice.

I've noticed some more life in my tank over the past few days, a two inch bristle worm and some small brittle stars made their appearance a few nights ago.

I have some GHA and maybe some bryopsis going on right now. Waiting on my cuc from reef cleaners, I should get it tomorrow. The story is here if you want to see what happened. I may run to the closest lfs (two hours away) on Tuesday and pick up a emerald crab and a couple of blue leg hermits.

The 5.6 LED kit and a R2 moonlight was confirmed by nanotuners and may ship late this week or next week. I went with two strips of whites, two strips of blues, and one strip of 50/50. I also ordered 2 Slienx 60x25mm fans from newegg. I was going to use the stock fans with the 5.6 but decided i should just switch them while I have the hood gutted anyways.

Received my cuc order from reefcleaners today, took 6 days to get into my hands buuuut they made it!

Order consisted of:

30 Dwarf Cerith (received maybe 100-150)

12 Florida Cerith (these may have taken the biggest hit well see over the next few days)

6 Nerite Snails (Large)

7 Nerite Snails (Small - Medium)

6 Nassarius Vibex

Not sure if it was USPS or my apartment office staff who hid my package over the weekend but it looks like everything will be ok.

Thanks John!

Archived