ReefCleaners.org

Jeff's U.P. LED BioCube 29G --> Out of Hobby Sale

msujeff

I'm talking about the zoas, I checked zoaid.com and couldn't find any that matched

1. all orange

2. Green skirt, green outer edge, orange circle around mouth, green mouth

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's looking good! I really like your hifin goby. Does he stay hidden mostly or is he out and about?

Most of the time he's just hanging outside one of the two burrow entrances. Sudden movements near the tank will cause him to dart back inside for a couple of min. He's eating really well now and will leave the burrow by 6 inches or so to grab food that's floating by. The pistol is constantly rearranging the entrances, one will be closed off one day only to reopen the next or it will change a few times during the day.

Jeff,

Looks good man. Any news on your lights are going to arrive?

Not yet, hopefully I hear something this week. I'm only running the 36w 10k bulb right now since my actinic went out on me last week and I know right when I order a replacement, I'll hear the leds are on the way.

Great start. I like your scape, it makes the tank look large. Be patient, I imagine you have looooong winters in da UP hey

Thank you. I grew up down state and this is my first winter up in the UP. Winters are very long and very cold. I thought there was going to be more snow up here but I guess the past few years have been pretty down.

Thanks for the pictures, those should help me when I set up an ATO.

EDIT (Three) other things came across my mind though lol

Do you ever need to add trace elements, iodine or calcium for helping the shrimp to molt?

And right now you have the stock lighting correct? Will that be sufficient for some zoas/palys which are basically the only coral I can have legally.

Your RKL, is for the lights, wavemaker and ATO and also takes the temp of the tank water?

Back right of your FTS, is that the mag float? I see other tanks like that, does everyone usually leave the scrubber in?

Thanks again

Thanks for the pictures, those should help me when I set up an ATO.

Two other things came across my mind though lol

Do you ever need to add trace elements, iodine or calcium for helping the shrimp to molt?

And right now you have the stock lighting correct? Will that be sufficient for some zoas/palys which are basically the only coral I can have legally.

Thanks again

I do not dose anything as of right now. I'll be doing sps and possibly a clam later on so I probably will need to in the future. My pistol, cleaner, and two hermits have all molted once since I've had them. Using a good salt and doing weekly water changes will usually be enough for the usual shrimp and crabs.

I do have the stock lighting for now and it is good for zoas/palys. You can always add another pc through a nanotuners kit. The PC-R bulbs from nanotuners also put out more light which would help with the colors and growth of the softies.

Some new pics, nothing special. Still waiting for the leds to ship so nothing more is going to be added till those are put in.

100_5059.jpg

FTS 2/15/11

100_5068.jpg

Hi-Fin Goby and his pistol

100_5063.jpg

The boss is begging for some food

100_5054.jpg

ID?

100_5051.jpg

Feed me

:D

Jeff,

Nice pics man! Love the Goby/shrimp and the Zoas!! How long have you had the pair?

Browsing through the thread again and I already asked about stock lighting w/softies lol sorry

I also edited but will repeat earlier, is that the mag float in the back right of your FTS, I see alot of people who keep there scrubber attached, is it standard?

basically the RKL is a light timer w/thermometer or do I need a separate thermometer?

Browsing through the thread again and I already asked about stock lighting w/softies lol sorry

I also edited but will repeat earlier, is that the mag float in the back right of your FTS, I see alot of people who keep there scrubber attached, is it standard?

basically the RKL is a light timer w/thermometer or do I need a separate thermometer?

Do you have the foam guard on the Vortech?

It's all good.

Yeah I think people just leave them in all the time, would be a pita to take out all the time. I painted the wet side black with Krylon fusion spray paint so it blends in more. Some paint both sides.

The RKL depending on the options can do timers, alarms, monitoring via the internet, temperature, salinity, ph, dimming of lighting fixtures, moonlight cycles, and a lot more. I use it to control my lighting on/off times, the temp of the tank (by turning heater on/off), and a delay mode for feeding. I hit standby and it turns off my return pump, skimmer, and ato. The return pump turns on after twenty minutes, five minutes later my skimmer turns on, and then the ato comes online a min later.

I usually use the foam guards on the vortech but sometimes take them off during feedings.

That is a neat piece of equipment and reasonably priced at about $100, I think I might have to get one :D

The spray paint is safe for aquarium use?

Thanks

All the options above are not included inthe basic RKL model but the timers, temp control, and standby are there.

The spray paint is fine as long as it's dry. I did multiple light coats till it was completely black. Make sure you don't get paint on the surfaces that contact the glass.

Wow Jeff, your tank looks great! I am soo looking forward to doing alot of the upgrades you have done, it will be slowly as the budget allows and as I am just going to setup my tank this week I have a good month or so before I worry about upgrading the lighting and stuff. Anyways sorry to ramble YOUR TANK LOOKS GREAT! it has given me many ideas. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

Yea I have been watching spanko's its pretty insane. Lots of awesome growth and many many upgrades. I will enjoy seeing your progress as well though :)

Also, about my other post you were helping me with, should i just add a cup of white vinegar and run the stock pump let the tank flow for an hour then scrub and rinse?

Yea I have been watching spanko's its pretty insane. Lots of awesome growth and many many upgrades. I will enjoy seeing your progress as well though :)

Also, about my other post you were helping me with, should i just add a cup of white vinegar and run the stock pump let the tank flow for an hour then scrub and rinse?

Yeah I think spanko will have a nice spot on the home page within the next couple of months as a TOTM.

I replied to your thread about the vinegar bath.

Thanks again Jeff, I appreciate it. I have a b-day coming in a few months and if i can find a good deal on an upgraded light before then I am looking to get an mp10 like you have. Seems like you love it and from what I've read from other posts it is incredible. Soo much stuff ahhhhh lol

No problem, everyone is always willing to help so don't be afraid to ask any questions. The mp10 is great but by no means a necessity. I think there's a few places online that you can get them for $200. Make sure you check out inTank, StevieT's media baskets are probably the best mod for any AIO.

Oh yea i've been all over InTank's site, planning on getting the bc29 kit, a MJ1200 to replace the stock return pump, a koriala (however you spell that) nano 425 for the MD, a refractometer cuz all i have is stupid swing arm hydrometer, chemi-pure elite, purigen, filter floss. Any other suggestions? I'm on the fence about the hydor flo for the return nozzle. I can't really afford a skimmer atm, nor do I think I need one yet so that will hold off for awhile.

I would say no to the hydor flow, some like them, some don't. Are you going to get the package with the basket, fuge and fishsaver? If you are you need to look at a fuge light, I know the jbj one that goes on the back is suppose to be pretty good but kinda expensive. I would buy the basket and fishsaver for sure and then think if you want to go the fuge or skimmer route unless you're already set on one.

The refractometer on inTank is really nice and works great. Also a magfloat and the api master test kit would be good to pick up.

That's all I can think of right now.

Archived