Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Jeff's U.P. LED BioCube 29G --> Out of Hobby Sale

msujeff

Looks awesome. Does the 5.6 kit come standard with a trio box? Does your RKL have the option to add on to base unit to allow for the dimming control of the 3rd ballast?

When do we gt to see color pictures?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks awesome. Does the 5.6 kit come standard with a trio box? Does your RKL have the option to add on to base unit to allow for the dimming control of the 3rd ballast?

When do we gt to see color pictures?

The 5.6 cree led kit comes with the trio box but the 4.6 and the 3.6 come with the duo. This kit was special made since I ordered the 5.6 kit back in December and then they decided/needed to use the new TRC drivers and moved up the development of the duo/trio enclosures. This 5.6 kit actually doesn't exist but probably can be custom ordered.

The RKL supports up to four modules so if I wanted to I could be another ALC to control the third driver. At $75 bucks an ALC, I'm going to leave it how it is.

I should be able to post some pics of the tank tomorrow.

¡... sick bc man ...!

Thanks! The tank now has no stock parts.... :D

I wish I could go back and design my own custom stand. Fitting everything in there was such a hassle and the power cords on the pc4s and the trio box are very difficult to work with.

Like everyone has said in the past, taking pictures of LEDs is pretty difficult, especially when you only have a point and shoot. Here you go!

100_5107.jpg

FTS 3/27/11

100_5108.jpg

The fixture in action.

100_5053.jpg

Zoas Under Stock PCs

100_5109.jpg

Zoas Now!

100_5111.jpg

They just pop!

100_5112.jpg

Much more green and purple visible now.

NICE Jeff! Looks like it was well worth the wait. Your rock has come a long ways, nice color on it. The whole tank looks great! What point and shoot are you using? Looks like it gets better close ups than my wifes $$ camera!

NICE Jeff! Looks like it was well worth the wait. Your rock has come a long ways, nice color on it. The whole tank looks great! What point and shoot are you using? Looks like it gets better close ups than my wifes $$ camera!

Thanks! The dry rock from reefcleaners is really starting to show some color. Can't wait to see what happens when i start the BRS two part.

The p&s is a Kodak M1033, 10 mp. Good camera for regular picture taking but any p&s is kinda hard without the manual focus that one has on a dslr. What works best for me is making sure the pumps are off, the movement of the water really makes it hard to focus on what you want to capture.

Thanks! The dry rock from reefcleaners is really starting to show some color. Can't wait to see what happens when i start the BRS two part.

The p&s is a Kodak M1033, 10 mp. Good camera for regular picture taking but any p&s is kinda hard without the manual focus that one has on a dslr. What works best for me is making sure the pumps are off, the movement of the water really makes it hard to focus on what you want to capture.

Looks great one of these days i will get the biocube out of the shed and set it back up with LEDS

Looking great Jeff! 3 days into my own LED adventure one thing I've already noticed is the fan controlled by my RKL never comes on at all. Before it would cycle on/off all day to keep my temps stable with the MH lighting. Too early to say anything on coral response but the overall look of the tank is VERY pleasing, to my eyes anyway :)

Looking great Jeff! 3 days into my own LED adventure one thing I've already noticed is the fan controlled by my RKL never comes on at all. Before it would cycle on/off all day to keep my temps stable with the MH lighting. Too early to say anything on coral response but the overall look of the tank is VERY pleasing, to my eyes anyway :)

Thanks!

From what I understand you want to have the fans on when the LEDs are on to help cool the heat sink. Heat is absorbed by the heat sink through the back of the LED where with a mh the heat is between the bulb and the water. Even though the water temp may be stable, the excess heat of the heat sink could shorten the life of the LEDs. I run my fans 24/7 right now, I do have one spot open on my pc4s that I may move my fan power adapter to and run the fans from when the LEDs turn on till 1/2 hour or so after they turn off.

Thanks!

From what I understand you want to have the fans on when the LEDs are on to help cool the heat sink. Heat is absorbed by the heat sink through the back of the LED where with a mh the heat is between the bulb and the water. Even though the water temp may be stable, the excess heat of the heat sink could shorten the life of the LEDs. I run my fans 24/7 right now, I do have one spot open on my pc4s that I may move my fan power adapter to and run the fans from when the LEDs turn on till 1/2 hour or so after they turn off.

Makes sense. Acan makes no mention of using fans, but I think I'll get a smaller fan just for that purpose. Couldn't hurt. Acan claims their LEDs will last for 50,000 hours or 5+ years. Heres what they say about heat and their fixture if your interested:

http://www.acanlighting.com/index.php?opti...tent&id=170

Makes sense. Acan makes no mention of using fans, but I think I'll get a smaller fan just for that purpose. Couldn't hurt. Acan claims their LEDs will last for 50,000 hours or 5+ years. Heres what they say about heat and their fixture if your interested:

http://www.acanlighting.com/index.php?opti...tent&id=170

Ooo yeah... I forgot that you were running the acan fixture and thought your LEDs were under the stock canopy. That's a high quality fixture so the use of an external fan is probably not that useful.

awesome work!!

Thanks Beijo!

In 2-3 weeks, I'll be placing a large coral order to get this tank going. I'm excited to actually start stocking this tank! I do have to take care of a minor flatworm problem before I start stocking tho so hopefully the flatworm exit goes smoothly.

The Led setup is wicked. What color setup did you go with and what would it compare to in a mh bulb?

I have two strips of blues, two strips of whites and one strip of 50/50. They're arranged in the following pattern: w,b,50/50,b,w

Since the drivers are dimmable I can go probably from a 10k look all the way past 20k. The cool thing with LEDs is that I can get the same par numbers going with a 10k look setting versus a 20k look setting. With a 20k mh bulb you get the great color but less growth (and the opposite with a 10k mh).

When I ordered this setup back in December I choose to not spend the extra money and went with the non dimmable version. A few weeks later, Nick contacted me saying they were changing things up and it was going to be a longer delay but I would be getting a sweet enclosure and dimmable drivers. Sooo glad I have this dimming option.

when you get the livestock, I am learning the procedure so far these are my steps.

1. Temp acclimate

2. Drip acclimate

3. dip in freshwater for fish or coral rx for corals, not sure for inverts?

4. quarantine possibly

5. release into display.

is it ok to net fish or do by hand (gloves)? same with coral/inverts, handle with gloves?

Hey, right on! Glad to see you got your LED kit in.

I'll update my tank's thread here in a few days. I've been running that set up for a while now and everything is doing great and growing fast.

Archived